Happycampers1

Free Member
Jun 18, 2014
St Leonards, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 665
Exp
Having just bought our first motorhome we wanted an arial for the tv which is fitted (Not sure why there is no arial). Having seen so many different types I wondered which is the best. I have seen some with Omnidirectional arials but then they have standard arials as well. Confused dot com!:helpsos:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Having just bought our first motorhome we wanted an arial for the tv which is fitted (Not sure why there is no arial). Having seen so many different types I wondered which is the best. I have seen some with Omnidirectional arials but then they have standard arials as well. Confused dot com!:helpsos:

Having used up all your posts, you now need to subscribe to get all the benefits of FUN

Link Removed <<<< Here

Peter

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp

we have a high gain tv aerial that we put up if the fixed van aerial could not get a picture have been on lots of sites where the van aerial struggles and breaks up, but the high gain on the long pole usualy gets wifey the soaps, got a new sat system fitted now so hopefully no more putting aerials up in the rain......:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use one of these
Broken Link Removed
does everything it says . worked great in spain last winter as well.
just run through a set up when you have a new campstop.
i made a 12v lead for it .
it comes with a mains to 12 volt converter . but works a treat.
even works if just on the window ledge . but i now have it mounted on the roof ladder .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Having just bought our first motorhome we wanted an arial for the tv which is fitted (Not sure why there is no arial). Having seen so many different types I wondered which is the best. I have seen[HI] some with Omnidirectional arials but then they have standard arials as well[/HI]. Confused dot com!:helpsos:

there is just one reason for that.....omni aerials are absolute rubbish but are cheap for the converters to fit as standard.

Removing the 'flying saucer' takes time and effort so they generally get left on.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one other point.....

Every time you move to a new area you need to retune the tv.....different areas use different frequencies.

With a directional aerial you also need to know the location of the local transmitter and point the aerial towards it.....just look around where others are pointing or better still, look at house aerials nearby.
Then there is the polarity.....aerial 'fingers' vertical or horizontal.
It makes a big difference and again, look at house aerials.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I recommend this or his longer brother the 560 . The new models have a built in signal meter. Very easy to use.
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Another vote for a directional one. We have a Status 530 (older version of the one Techno100 linked to) which comes complete with a signal amplifier. Have used it in England France and Spain so far and have never failed to pick up some local TV stations. Very impressive.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We use a Avtex STH100 and get good reception when the dome view is blocked.
We also thought the flying sauce type were rubbish until we got a caravan with one on and that works really well, it has a different booster on it which maybe the difference. ( caravans on site we clean on, NOT for touring !)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
We also use the avtex sth100, which if u use the avtex tv has a facility to power the aerial. Never had a problem always get reception and because it has suction pad can be placed almost anywhere which to me is advantage as drilling any hole in the roof/bodywork will eventually Lead to a leak no matter how good u seal it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back