lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We are heading to Denmark, Sweden and southern Norway this July and wondered if it was worth booking the ferries from Denmark to Sweden and possibly Norway to Denmark in advance or is it just the same price on the day. I have read that you get a discount with the camping card but don't see an option for this online.

Our MH is 7.2 M long and gross 3.850 KG so we know it is expensive and will just have to pay of we want to tour there.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings Lorger,

You didn't mention it so I will.

You do know there's a bridge between Denmark and Sweden?:thumb:

I know it might not be where you want to cross but it might be a tad cheaper than a ferry (but there again, it might not.:Eeek:

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi yes I have looked into it and its certainly an option we are getting the ferry to Amsterdam and thought it might be good to get ferry from Germany to Sweden then drive up to Oslo and then Flam before heading back down either via ferry to Denmark or back down Sweden. Our return trip to the UK is from Esbjerg so though coming back down denmark would be a good option or crossing the bridges.

We have looked at bridge price if I buy a Brod pass (think that's its name) for €38 then the crossing will be €42 instead of €98 there is also a bridge that links west and east Denmark that we would need to cross.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Sounds a good trip you've got planned, can't help on the rest of the tour but although you'll be ok this time the DFDS Harwich to Esbjerg route is ending this year, at the end of September I think when I posted earlier this month. :Sad:

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi -Germany to Sweden - Finnlines are a very good company to deal with - and their Ferries are better than competition in our opinion -I would definetly recommend them. Phone them to get the discount with Camping Card - Note - you can check their web site for offers - they normally have a summer discount for caravans and motorhomes - aks on the phone if you don't see it on their web site-
Coming back down from Oslo - You could possibly try the crossing atHelsinborg- Helsingor - usually 2 or 3 ferry companies so price is competitive - usually croosing evry half hour in day - less during the night - you can just turn up
Oslo - you can stay pretty much in the city at a marina -about £22 - You have to pay with a credit card - there is electric - water - dump - but ignore the talk about toilets - showers - 2 of each for about 200 vans
If you use this site you can bus into the city - you can walk but canny way -buy bus pass from shop/kiosk/supermarket beforehand about half the price than if you buy it on the bus
Hope this helps
Please PM us if you need any specific info that we can possibly help you with

Steve

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
HI lorger,we have found the best way for us when going south or north from germany,is the ferry from frederikshaven to Gothenberg and vissa versa, coming in to denmark at Flensburg on the E45/A7 or national route 76 then up the coast to frederikshaven,dont forget its the school holidays so check out the prices TT lines + stena lines,have a good trip and any other advice just ask, away and we will do our best to help,Regards Alf.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi lorger, ive posted a few times on this as I did it last year. same route you mention. Amsterdam ferry then from northern Denmark (hirtshal ) to Kristiansand. (that ferry was rammed and im pleased I pre booked)..did spend a few days around scargen at tannisby camping site which was lovely.
the total cost of ferries came in at around £700 and odd pounds but that was with a van under 6m and 3m in height. that was this time last year.
if you have any questions just get in touch . I can pm you my phone number if that helps. I can ring landlines any time at no extra cost ::bigsmile: so no worries . ta andy

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
hi lorger, ive posted a few times on this as I did it last year. same route you mention. Amsterdam ferry then from northern Denmark (hirtshal ) to Kristiansand. (that ferry was rammed and im pleased I pre booked)..did spend a few days around scargen at tannisby camping site which was lovely.
the total cost of ferries came in at around £700 and odd pounds but that was with a van under 6m and 3m in height. that was this time last year.
if you have any questions just get in touch . I can pm you my phone number if that helps. I can ring landlines any time at no extra cost ::bigsmile: so no worries . ta andy

Thanks Andy when you say £700 I take that includes the ferry to and from the UK. I have looked at various options and not a massive difference in price although I could save a few pounds on fuel using certain ferries.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
yes the £700 ish was all ferries return. the Amsterdam ferry was booked through the c&cc club and came in at £200 each way. the Denmark to norway I booked with colour (is it ) line.
ta andy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back