sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Right sorry to pester you all again...going to france soon,,,photo copied log book,,mot, ins docs,passports, got the AA travel kit , got the high viz x 2 ,got full breakdown cover, is there anything else please ? dont need to know about money beer food and ourselves,,,just trying to see if i am missing any important documents...dont want to be caught out...:thumb:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
... spare bulb kit

... corkscrew ...

:Cool:

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Not documents , but what about headlight deflectors ( or adjusters)
got head light deflectors and spare bulbs,,just booked the ferry for 22nd july 9.25am out of dover,,,going to the minster meet next week,,1st one for us and hoping there will be someone there who can show me where the deflectors need to be fitted and give us lots more info on our first trip to france ...oohhh and share a few beers too...:thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Right sorry to pester you all again...going to france soon,,,photo copied log book,,mot, ins docs,passports, got the AA travel kit , got the high viz x 2 ,got full breakdown cover, is there anything else please ? dont need to know about money beer food and ourselves,,,just trying to see if i am missing any important documents...dont want to be caught out...:thumb:

Might sound daft but you don't say, you have to take the original documents as well:thumb:

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Might sound daft but you don't say, you have to take the original documents as well:thumb:

yeh got all originals in the safe,,thanks to everyone on here i think we have got most of the stuff,,but i am sure i will forget something,,,so long as got ferry booking etc plus docs and the compulsory items, i think we might just get through...:Smile: and passports .....

Last edited:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Just make sure if you happen to be stopped by the police you put your Hi-viz on BEFORE you get out of the van, otherwise on the spot fine, MANY euros, happened to a mate of mine recently.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
credit card

Know how you feel from the first time we went. Don't worry its really quite easy. Have a great time and let us know how you get on. P.S. we hid a credit card in the van just in case. Have MOTORHOME FUN.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
European Health Card? Tell your credit card company you're going abroad. I always leave a copy of all our documents at home with someone as well.

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
and.......... your not allowed to drive in flip flop type shoes in France, must have a back on your footwear.

Don't forget All the Aires book

We are off to France, straight from the Misterton meet :france::Cool:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
and.......... your not allowed to drive in flip flop type shoes in France, must have a back on your footwear.
Don't forget All the Aires book

We are off to France, straight from the Misterton meet :france::Cool:

Sorry to interfere but this is wrong.

There is no law forbidding to drive either bare foot or with flip flop on.

I have put on here the exact text about driving . It is a bit like with animals. It doesn't say they must be strapped in , what it says is nothing must prevent you and your passengers from being in safe conditions.

Well same in this case.

What is said is that the driver must make sure nothing prevents him/her from acting quickly and safely when driving whatever the problem is.

So if you get fined because you were bare foot for example it could be much more because you have a sore foot , put a bandage on and so you can't feel the pedals properly which makes your driving dangerous.
If you are fined because you have flip flop on, it could be because the left foot shoe is falling apart and goes away now and then, and makes your reaction time slower.

In any case it is the policeman's appreciation which will make the difference!! Not a precise law saying no flip flop type shoe or no bare foot.

Art. R. 412-6

I. Tout véhicule en mouvement ou tout ensemble de véhicules en mouvement doit avoir un conducteur.

II. Tout conducteur doit se tenir constamment en état et en position d’exécuter commodément et sans délai toutes les manœuvres qui lui incombent. Ses possibilités de mouvement et son champ de vision ne doivent pas être réduits par le nombre ou la position des passagers, par des objets transportés ou par l’apposition d’objets non transparents sur les vitres.

III. Le fait, pour tout conducteur, de contrevenir aux dispositions du II ci-dessus est puni de l’amende prévue aux contraventions de la 2ème classe.

IV. En cas d’infraction aux dispositions du II ci-dessus, l’immobilisation du véhicule peut être prescrite dans les conditions prévues aux articles L. 325-1 à L. 325-3.

Si le policier estime, je dis bien estime, que le conducteur n'est pas en état d'exécuter commodément toutes les manoeuvres et bien il verbalise

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
European breakdown cover? Mossy repellant. First aid kit. Knowledge of how to get the spare wheel off ( still haven't figured it out on mine) Brush / cordless vac ( especially if you have a dog) more Euros, baked beans. Bottle of ( insert favourite spirit here) reading glasses. ( forgot mine last month, €24 for readers in Leclerc!) toilet fluid. Nice comfy relaxing fold up reclining seats. Hat. Sunglasses. Sun cream. Portable radio. Maps.
Have a good trip
Allan

Oops, just read you have full breakdown cover..

Last edited:
OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Sorry to interfere but this is wrong.

There is no law forbidding to drive either bare foot or with flip flop on.

I have put on here the exact text about driving . It is a bit like with animals. It doesn't say they must be strapped in , what it says is nothing must prevent you and your passengers from being in safe conditions.

Well same in this case.

What is said is that the driver must make sure nothing prevents him/her from acting quickly and safely when driving whatever the problem is.

So if you get fined because you were bare foot for example it could be much more because you have a sore foot , put a bandage on and so you can't feel the pedals properly which makes your driving dangerous.
If you are fined because you have flip flop on, it could be because the left foot shoe is falling apart and goes away now and then, and makes your reaction time slower.

In any case it is the policeman's appreciation which will make the difference!! Not a precise law saying no flip flop type shoe or no bare foot.

Art. R. 412-6

I. Tout véhicule en mouvement ou tout ensemble de véhicules en mouvement doit avoir un conducteur.

II. Tout conducteur doit se tenir constamment en état et en position d’exécuter commodément et sans délai toutes les manœuvres qui lui incombent. Ses possibilités de mouvement et son champ de vision ne doivent pas être réduits par le nombre ou la position des passagers, par des objets transportés ou par l’apposition d’objets non transparents sur les vitres.

III. Le fait, pour tout conducteur, de contrevenir aux dispositions du II ci-dessus est puni de l’amende prévue aux contraventions de la 2ème classe.

IV. En cas d’infraction aux dispositions du II ci-dessus, l’immobilisation du véhicule peut être prescrite dans les conditions prévues aux articles L. 325-1 à L. 325-3.

Si le policier estime, je dis bien estime, que le conducteur n'est pas en état d'exécuter commodément toutes les manoeuvres et bien il verbalise

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:
worried now as have a false leg with a false foot ,,,,omg what will they say about this ....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
1st France trip

We have just returned from our 1st EVER MH trip anywhere but namely, France !!

The folk on this site were very informative.
Depending on where you are travelling. We were advised to travel via Rouen + Chartres.

Beware there are lots of road works in and around Rouen. We nearly lost the top of our van via an underpass where the sat nav wanted us to take.
It took us an age to get out of the city + back on track.

The weather was beautiful :Cool:

Bon Chance !!

frank550

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
We were advised to travel via [HI]Rouen [/HI]+ Chartres.

Beware there are lots of road works in and around [HI]Rouen[/HI]. We nearly lost the top of our van via an underpass where the sat nav wanted us to take.

Bon Chance !!

I was there recently too, a bloody nightmare! Someone somewhere posted recently that the route was clear now....anyone able to confirm, as I will also be passing by Rouen shortly.

Ta

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Probably already been mentioned but have a list of all your bank cards plus the international number to ring if you lose the card, not the 0800 one. It may be written on the back of the card but that's no use if the card has been pinched.

Ditto serial numbers of bikes, cameras etc., just in case they go missing.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Can't see the problem with Rouen - been that route at least 12 times just in the last 3 years - if you follow the signposts instead of the satnav you'll sail through virtually without slowing down, no underpasses to worry about. I feel hard done by never having seen the tunnel :winky:

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
we wont be going through Rouen as we are keeping to the coast roads,,,but thanks for the warnings.....:thumb:

frank550

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Can't see the problem with Rouen - been that route at least 12 times just in the last 3 years - if you follow the signposts instead of the satnav you'll sail through virtually without slowing down, no underpasses to worry about. I feel hard done by never having seen the tunnel :winky:

There are major roadworks on that route, hence the problems if you follow the signs. There is a marked detour but you need to watch the heights.

Someone did post recently, not sure if on here or over on RVOC, that the roadworks were over, I passed through end of May and they were still on then.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Don't forget spare specs if you wear them for driving. A legal requirement in some counties, but a sensible thing to do anywhere. I once broke a pair paintballing and had to call SWMBO out to rescue me as I had no spare (and I am very shortsighted)

I now keep a spare ordinary pair and a pair of prescription sunglasses in each vehicle to be safe.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It's actually only one bit of roadworks in Rouen.

The fact is that it's complete rebuilding of the bridge on the through route south over the river Seine, following a major fire on the bridge involving a tanker. Ooops. :Eeek: Weakened the entire structure and at first it was still open coming into the city but by the time they'd finished surveying it, they realised they had no option whatsoever but to rebuild the whole caboodle. Of course as it wasn't planned X years in advance, the bits of Lego they needed weren't going to be available soon .....

By the time they finish it, some of us might just have decided we prefer whatever route we've had to find instead of the bridge and carry on using it.

Personally, I fell out with the burgers of Rouen a few years ago now when they knocked down the bar on the level crossing on the road through the industrial estate, with the original Stella Artois advert on the eaves wall. That bar and sign was already ancient the first time I ever drove through France in 1976, and I always looked forward to seeing it. A landmark. They can stick their cows on their island up their jumpers, I ain't playing there any more, so they can just put that in their pipe and smoke it, so there.

(Thinking about it, here they would have declared the place (the bar) of special historical interest and slapped a preservation order on it ! )

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
We have just returned from our 1st EVER MH trip anywhere but namely, France !!

The folk on this site were very informative.
Depending on where you are travelling. We were advised to travel via Rouen + Chartres.

Beware there are lots of road works in and around Rouen. We nearly lost the top of our van via an underpass where the sat nav wanted us to take.

The weather was beautiful :Cool:

Bon Chance !!

God, I hate Rouen, in car or motorhome. Would go as many Kms as it takes to avoid it.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
God, I hate Rouen, in car or motorhome. Would go as many Kms as it takes to avoid it.

We came that way yesterday. Avoided Rouen by going via les Andeleys - a fantastic drive on some great roads and great views ! Would've missed it if the bridge was open!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back