Disgruntled Acsi card user in Austria ! (1 Viewer)

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

I have just had a most annoying experience in an ACSI CC site €16 in the book
In Grein by the Danube in Austria. On arrival to a pleasant but in no way extraordinarily wonderful campsite we were told to choose a pitch and leave some identity like passport in the reception for when the boss comes back . I did not want to leave a passport so left our international Camping Card as well as showing our acsi card . We were told to come back with passports when the boss was back . We went back twice but no boss ....finally he was there at about 6pm
and quite out of the blue told us that we had an extra large motorhome and the Acsi rate did not apply ! Our Rapido 997 is 7.2 m long and has never been refused the Acsi rate before ! He was going to charge us €25 on a take it or leave it basis and told us that the normal rate was €35 ! I told him that although we had intended to stay for 3 nights we would now pay the €25 but leave the next day . He then reduced the price to €20 which in fact I had expected to pay with the various taxes etc. By that time I was well and truly annoyed because I do not think that you should have to haggle like in this over a pitch so we will have to leave tomorrow ! A shame because we had planned to stay and cycle this bit for two days .It was not a question of not affording it but more the principle of the thing since it is the very first time in 6 years of motorhoming that this has happened. Has anyone else ever had an experience like this ? We will be heading to Au An Der Donau tomorrow to an ACSI CC site there . Hopefully we will have better luck there .

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Is there still a feedback / report section in the back of the ACSI book?
Report them to ACSI.
There is also Tripadvisor.
No one likes a bad write up on there.

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

I will do all that when we are out of here ! In the meanwhile we are onto our second bottle of wine and keeping a low profile ....later the the Tripadvisor and Acsi review gets it . I have had a quick read about the rules and it does only apply to twin axel motorhomes and extra large luxury pitches which this one sure ain't .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Although I have never been asked to pay extra, it is a greedy principle and I believe a few sites in UK do it :Angry:
Two adults in a 6m motorhome use no more of services than two adults in a 9m motorhome .

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We have a 7.5m tag axle and never been charged extra when using our ACSI card, you're a better man than me I'd have told him where to stick his poxy campsite and left.

jaytee74

Free Member
Dec 5, 2013
durham uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt swift royale
Exp
since2007
ACSI card user in AUSTRIA

i have recently returned from a 3 week trip to ITALY via AUSTRIA ---GERMANY---HOLLAND we used camp sites every night of our trip apart from one which means 19 camp sites of these 17 proudly posted the ACSI logo stating ACSI approved and inspected but only one was signed up to give the discount seeing that i had recently purchased the ACSI package i felt somewhat cheated and disappointed and when i asked as to why they posted the logo but no discount this was usually met by a shrug of the shoulders and one chap at a very posh hotel with camp site explained that the fee they had to pay on every transaction was to much this site charged me 36euros for one night and wanted to keep a passport as security against a plastic toilet key which we had no intention of using so i told him to put the key were the monkey puts its nuts and a number of other things etc and kept my passport i wanted to just wildcamp as i felt we were been ripped off but the other half pointed out that we are here so lets just accept it and since it was getting a bit late i accepted it. but glad to say these issues did not spoil a brilliant holiday we had a fab time.. and VENICE----LAKE GARDA----VERONA and northern ITALY and AUSTRIA the vista is amazing. but there are issues with ACSI that need to be addressed. jt

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
i have recently returned from a 3 week trip to ITALY via AUSTRIA ---GERMANY---HOLLAND we used camp sites every night of our trip apart from one which means 19 camp sites of these 17 proudly posted the ACSI logo stating ACSI approved and inspected but only one was signed up to give the discount seeing that i had recently purchased the ACSI package i felt somewhat cheated and disappointed and when i asked as to why they posted the logo but no discount this was usually met by a shrug of the shoulders and one chap at a very posh hotel with camp site explained that the fee they had to pay on every transaction was to much this site charged me 36euros for one night and wanted to keep a passport as security against a plastic toilet key which we had no intention of using so i told him to put the key were the monkey puts its nuts and a number of other things etc and kept my passport i wanted to just wildcamp as i felt we were been ripped off but the other half pointed out that we are here so lets just accept it and since it was getting a bit late i accepted it. but glad to say these issues did not spoil a brilliant holiday we had a fab time.. and VENICE----LAKE GARDA----VERONA and northern ITALY and AUSTRIA the vista is amazing. but there are issues with ACSI that need to be addressed. jt

Greetings Jaytee,

I have to say that you have not been diddled swindled or any such thing.

I'm sorry if I offend but you have been on holiday with half an idea as to what the ACSI system, as pertaining to discounted camp site fees is all about.

ACSI as an organisation does vet, inspect and examine the facilities of thousands of sites throughout europe and publishes a book showing them.
It also has a discount system where, for the outlay of a few quid will get you a book showing the sites that give the discount and a card to show.

You can hardly blame ACSI if you go on holiday without understanding their system of operation.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Two reviews on the ACSI site listing are not very favourable.. someone else was asked more for a longer vehicle..

Broken Link Removed

This place is absolutely not recommendable!!
We are the beginning of May approached the camp, the woman from the groundskeeper told us we could we stand up to us where we wanted, then came the groundsman, the Arrogant and was so impossible and we accounted for all for the good end, he also wanted to have the [HI]double price of us, because our vehicle would be longer than 7 meters.[/HI] After this conversation, we left the place.

The site is ideally placed for visiting Grein or cycling along the Danube Cycle Path and the facilities have been restored since severe flooding in June 2013. However, the riverside pitches are still muddy and became flooded and unusable after a day of rain. We moved place 3 times! Three of the four men's showers have no curtain or door, and face each other in full view. The ACSI Card price of 14 euros became 20 euros with 'taxes'. Good WiFi for 3 euros a day. A simple meal from the camp restaurant (burgers and fries) took 30 minutes to arrive - and the fries were not hot or freshly cooked. Surprising for such a popular place.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know about Austria or anywhere else other than France really , but don't see the need for any cards and things in France all you need is All the aires book and for something a bit different France passion, all are free or less than £10 and they are everywhere:thumb:

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
We have never been charged extra. In France we were given the use of 2 pitches, told to park across them and only charged for one. In Spain we were given 3 to enable us to have more room. No extra charge. On some sites we were too long and turned away! But at least they didn't say park up and then they will charge you what they want. Not a good site and must be reported:Sad:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
We have used ACSI all over Europe without a problem.As long as it's in the book.Granted you do get tourist tax added in some places especially in Austria but you also get free bus travel sometimes as part of this.Overall I think it an exceptional deal and would be concerned if sites started to put up prices counter to those published.:thumb:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
we lost our acsi card in Portugal.but the nice man at the campsite took my buss pass.and gave me a a 15% discount for being a old git.

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

Thanks for your replies . I now feel I have got it out of my system although I tried to post on Acsi CC review and it kept coming up as error ! I will get on the case when home . We are now in a campsite in Au an der Donau and although this is not in the acsi cc and costs € 25 I am happy because it is a good site and the staff are charming . Time is running out soon for the Acsi rate anyway since most of them have it up to the 30th of June . I will be glad to be back in Germany and France soon because there are more Stellplatzes and Aires to choose from . Austria has been great and we have really enjoyed the cycling on both the Drau as well as the Danube which we had planned to do last year but had to abandon because of the floods . We will be planning to do the Rhine Cyclepath next spring and maybe the Moselle which we had to abandon in early May due to very cold and rainy weather .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back