Help please anyone in Civitavecchia near Rome Italy (1 Viewer)

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We had my wallet stolen and the replacement cards have been delayed in Milan. In between time I have noticed some fraudulent activity that I am calling the bank with. The trouble is I don't seem to be making any progress as no sooner I get in touch with the bank on my phone then the credit runs out. Is there anyone nearby that can help me or lend me some money or offer advice on what to do?
Getting desperate.
My Italy number is +3471957067
Colin

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Have you contacted the Embassy ( British or New Zealand)?

They will help you.

Sorry you have this to contend with.

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Try Skype and top that up if you can? Just a thought ...

Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
insurance cover theft? you need free wifi so go camp at a McDonalds until everything is sorted.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
umm ... the IDC for Italy is +39

+34 is for Spain

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Has anyone tried ringing the number, seems a bit strange , has his fun membership been hacked:Eeek:
Is this a new scam

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Has anyone tried ringing the number, seems a bit strange , has his fun membership been hacked:Eeek:
Is this a new scam

Hence my subtle post regarding the incorrect international dialing code :winky:

Jim would be able to tell from the OP IP address where the post was probably made from

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Have you contacted the Embassy ( British or New Zealand)?

They will help you.

Sorry you have this to contend with.

Same thing happened to colin and Tina same day same time and they went to the consulate as they didn't even have train fare back to the campsite. They couldn't even give them any money to get back to site and a security guard felt sorry for them and gave them his train ticket. So I don't think they will be much help.

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Is this a new scam

Sorry
Not a scam had the old Spanish number on the back of the phone. Italy number is 393471957067. Sorry for confusion. See what stress does.

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hence my subtle post regarding the incorrect international dialing code :winky:

Jim would be able to tell from the OP IP address where the post was probably made from

Well I wanted a bit of help but that is the way it goes. Make a mistake and the whole thing is dismissed. Lucky for me I got talking to an Italian and he helped me out enough to get some diesel in so I can get to Rome and wait for the cards if they ever arrive
Thanks everyone for the ahhhhh whatever

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well I wanted a bit of help but that is the way it goes. Make a mistake and the whole thing is dismissed. Lucky for me I got talking to an Italian and he helped me out enough to get some diesel in so I can get to Rome and wait for the cards if they ever arrive
Thanks everyone for the ahhhhh whatever

Very sorry if you are upset but for someone who has motorhomed all the way from nz it seemed a very iffy post, and in fact you have done the best thing what seemed obvious in the first place , talk to someone there, they are more likely able to help you than us hundreds of miles away, and in fact you did have plenty of good suggestions off here:thumb:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
The moral of the story

Sorry to hear of your plight Kiwi Coss, and I am glad you have found a solution. As a seasoned traveller and for someone travelling so far, please in future, don't have all your eggs in one basket. You should always have yourself a way out if the worse does happen.

I'm sure if you were patient enough some Funster would have helped you.

Hope you get your cards and resolve your woes and enjoy the rest of your travels

Bobby

Last edited:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I am sorry to say that it is the world we live in today, 40 years ago if somebody phoned or contacted you about that sort of problem, they may well of helped. But today, if you get a request for help, you look hard at the message, expecting it to be a scam, when you see a " wrong" dial code, you come down on the side of a scam.

Yes, it's a sorry old world! And in that respect, it was the " Good old days" :Smile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not getting at anyone but after hearing all the stories about Rome, not been yet but hoping to soon, if I went walking in the town anywhere all my cards would be back in the van and all I would take is about 50 euros in cash and I would be keeping my hand in my pocket with it

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not getting at anyone but after hearing all the stories about Rome, not been yet but hoping to soon, if I went walking in the town anywhere all my cards would be back in the van and all I would take is about [HI]50 euros in cash and I would be keeping my hand in my pocket with it
[/HI]

You might need more than that.

First day there we had breakfast just overlooking the Colleseum.

Nothing extravagant just 4 of us having a couple of coffees, cornettos ( same as French croissants ) and a couple of toasties.

Bill?

€80:Eeek:

Went back for lunch and the food was quite cheap in fairness.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Not getting at anyone but after hearing all the stories about Rome, not been yet but hoping to soon, if I went walking in the town anywhere all my cards would be back in the van and all I would take is about 50 euros in cash and I would be keeping my hand in my pocket with it

Odd how these rumours start and build, we`ve been to Rome many times and never had any trouble at all, it`s certainly no different from any busy European City.
Best advice we have for anyone is don`t be so naive watch your valuables which is nothing more than you would do here at home.

Sep 4, 2013
North Hants
Funster No
MH
Chatsworth CV40
Exp
Motorhome since 1997 Camping since 1990
Hi

I am the Colin named in Kiwi Coss post earlier. I can vouch that both he and I were pickpocketed same afternoon but different locations.

I paid for our site fees before we left the campsite, a Camping Tiber. Please can I ask on his behalf to provide help to him if you are in the area. When we left he was due to have his cards sent out by his daughter in London.

Many thanks

Colin Rice

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
A good deterant against pick pockets is to tie fishing hooks to short lengths of line and then tie them to the lining of your outside pocket that has an empty wallet or do the same to the wifes handbag::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Kiwi Cross, sorry you had such a bad experience in Rome. I'm sure if someone here had been close enough to help, they would have done.
The criminals are a minority amongst the generally polite, helpful, nice Italians. Look upon it as a learning curve and put a few more security measures in place. We've all had to learn as we go along.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Kiwi Cross, sorry you had such a bad experience in Rome. I'm sure if someone here had been close enough to help, they would have done.
The criminals are a minority amongst the generally polite, helpful, nice Italians. Look upon it as a learning curve and put a few more security measures in place. We've all had to learn as we go along.

Well, that was part of the problem, kiwi cross came across as a well traveled bloke , been mh ing since 1990 and came all the way from nz, it didn't seem right that he didn't know all these things, and just didn't ring true, and asking for money as well as advice, just seemed dodgy, seems we were wrong and sorry for doughting him, but he had good advice in the end anyway:thumb:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We were with Colin and Christina when it happened. We had just got onto the metro train and all of a sudden we were pushed in really hard. I had my arm trapped backwards around the post in the carriage. It was out of the blue and was quite scary. I thought it had been done to get the door closed, but I think that was when Colin's pocket was picked. It was obviously a team of scumbags working together.

We then had the nightmare of trying to find the police station in Rome - you wouldn't think it would be that difficult but no one knew where it was. We did find it eventually and were able to report the crime and be left in peace for a few minutes for Colin to cancel his cards and report the theft to the banks etc.

I can vouch for them and as Colin Rice has said, when we got back to the campsite we found out that he had also had his wallet stolen as well. We moved on the next day and have spoken to loads of people since, who have either had their wallets stolen or were lucky enough to stop the scumbags in the process of them doing it. My brother was one of those lucky ones; so it does happen however careful you are.

We won't be going back to Rome in a hurry and just hope Colin and Christina get things sorted soon, and can carry on with their travels.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I am not getting at anyone in this thread and I am sympathetic to those who have had problems, but there are more precautions that could be taken.

I have travelled all over Europe in the van and over much of the world. Rome is risky but there are many other risky places (including London!). I have learned to adopt some basic security techniques.

In the van I always travel with at least 2 debit cards and 3 credit cards, most of which are in different cupboards around the van. Likewise my cash is split around the van. When away from the van I carry only one credit card and a small amount of cash - in different pockets - . So if mugged its unlikely that I would lose everything and I would only need to get back to the van to be OK.

I also carry a "dummy" wallet with a few euros and out of date cards for the mugger.

Passports are left securely in the van, we carry a photocopy.

In practice we have never had a problem.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I believe that walking around in scruffy rags, unkempt, unshaven and with no visible signs of wealth, as I always do, deters muggers and pickpockets from picking on me.

I would have definitely helped our fellow Funster out had I been given a way to do so... Paypal to a bank account for example but with his phone out of credit I just couldn't think of a way...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
We will be in France as of late Sunday night, not sure there is anything we can do, but if there is, then please let us know.:thumb:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I can't help .... sorry but nothing open here today at home.

But for the ladies out there an idea - I have made a small roll up bag / wallet that I use for a few notes and single card when out and about. When rolled up it sits (see if I can phrase this nicely) inside the bottom elastic my bra and under my boobs. Can't be seen and I'd notice if anyone was fiddling in that area! It's attached to a strap that looks like a necklace so is easy (ish) to retrieve when I need to.

I also have a small document wallet that is also on a strap and that feeds down so the strap is down the cleavage and under the bottom bra strap and the wallet held next to the skin under a t-shirt or top.

My gran used to have a wallet sewn inside her underwear - which could explain a few things.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back