LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Cannot ask Colin as he is away, so stupid question coming your way!

Can someone have a look at the pic and tell me if these lights will work on 12v. I particularly like these and would like to cut the 3 pin plug off and get C to wire them up for 12v use.

Thanks
Sandra

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 170
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No, they won't.

The "Sec" on the plug means Seconday Voltage which is the output voltage of the transformer so they need 21v to work. Depending on what they are they may glow a bit at 12v but not light up properly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Oh that's a shame, yet something else to give away. They are LED fairy lights that I had up in the house and was hoping to have them in the van.

Thanks for your help guys.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Oh that's a shame, yet something else to give away. They are LED fairy lights that I had up in the house and was hoping to have them in the van.

No harm in trying them, only need a couple of bits of wire sticking on the leisure battery. That is NOT the transformer but direct to the LED wire that plugs into it taking note of polarity.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
No harm in trying them, only need a couple of bits of wire sticking on the leisure battery. That is NOT the transformer but direct to the LED wire that plugs into it taking note of polarity.

Pulled wire out of 3pin plug and now have this -

From the diagram on the plug I assume the thin pin is the + live wire and the thicker one is the - neutral wire? Now have to get this plug off without mixing up which wire is which.

If I get it wrong how much is it going to hurt when/if I put the wires on a 12v leisure battery ( of which there just happens to be one hanging around in the garage).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp

From the diagram on the plug I assume the thin pin is the + live wire and the thicker one is the - neutral wire? Now have to get this plug off without mixing up which wire is which.

If I get it wrong how much is it going to hurt when/if I put the wires on a 12v leisure battery ( of which there just happens to be one hanging around in the garage).
From what I have read elsewhere, I believe the only ill effect of reversed polarity on LED lights is that they just don't work. So you can try it one way, then the other if needed. The usual disclaimers apply. :RollEyes:

But once you take that plug off, you've burnt your boats for ever using the lights with the mains adapter. It won't go back on & I don't know where you would go for a re-wireable version of that plug.

Someone who does these things more often may be able to point you in the direction of a suitable socket that you could connect to your 12v battery to try it out, or to the power supply NickNic pointed to if 12v isn't enough. That way you could still use it with the mains adapter as well if you ever wanted to (such as when on EHU).

Can you confirm that you don't have an inverter in the van?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

For testing just wrap wire round the pins, hold it in place with tape.

Or cut off a few inches in then you can re-join if you fail.

It won't hurt you if you "jab" the wires.

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
split the wires back about 6 inches,,then cut them,,if they dont work, just connect again with small block connectors and tape up...:thumb:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
split the wires back about 6 inches,,then cut them,,if they dont work, just connect again with small block connectors and tape up...:thumb:

That's too sensible! :Doh:

Thanks, even I can do that.

Actually we do have an inverter - 400w, will have to check with Colin that these lights would not be too much of a drain if used with the original plug. At least I can use them for a festival in a couple of weeks time, the solar panel should take care of any drain.

Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Led are not polarity conscious so as pointed out they just won't work the wrong way round

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Actually we do have an inverter - 400w, will have to check with Colin that these lights would not be too much of a drain if used with the original plug.
They will be fine. The power supply only puts out 3W, so at most uses 4W. Just having the inverter switched on probably uses more than that, but you can run them for hours at that rate. :thumb:

It would be more efficient to run them via the power supply NickNic referenced, but you would never recover the cost, given that you already have both an inverter & solar panels.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Sheesh Sandra!

LED solar fairylights are approx. £5 in B&M. But if you are happy with blue, they were cheaper.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
we use solar powered LED's cost £3.50. 3 strings is all the light we ever need in the van and tis free leccy.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
But these are special. It's my little project now I will not be beaten.

Except that OH must have moved spare leisure battery into the storage while we move house. After very carefully striping the plastic of the wires with the kitchen scissors, went bravely forth to touch them on the battery terminals and no battery:Doh:

Oh well! He's back today so he will either laugh his head off:ROFLMAO: or do this:RollEyes::Doh:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
But these are special. It's my little project now I will not be beaten.

I like and applaud your outlook, Sandra the world needs people like you.:clap::cry-smile:

If the battery test fails and the hubby laughs or even smirks, Bring those Baby's to Pecks Hill Garage and I'll stick 450V 3 phase up em, together we will make those suckers shine:thumb:
Not for very long but shine they wil, bring dark glasses :Cool:
G

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Sandra lift the car bonnet and stick the wires on that battery -12v wont hurt at all :thumb: unless you are sopping wet then you may get a tingle ::bigsmile:
Do I detect a joining of the fairy lights battle between Haggers and Mick ::bigsmile:(bet they have theirs winging it's way from China as I type)::bigsmile: We have a car boot at Donny that sells them on Sunday Mornings --You could go and buy loads at the Misterton meet only a few miles away :thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It'll take more than that to make Sandra blush :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT3_UCm1A5I"]Monty Python - Nudge Nudge (Candid Photography) - YouTube[/ame]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back