Best Rome tours colosseum, Vatican? (1 Viewer)

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Has anyone got information on the best value for money tours in Rome? We have done the tour bus rides so that is done. We want to do the Colosseum and Vatican, but cannot decide which one to choose. Has anyone done the tours and if so can you recommend the tour and group? Also any other must see sights whole we are here? Please only serious posts please.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Has anyone got information on the best value for money tours in Rome? We have done the tour bus rides so that is done. We want to do the Colosseum and Vatican, but cannot decide which one to choose. Has anyone done the tours and if so can you recommend the tour and group? Also any other must see sights whole we are here? [HI]Please only serious posts please.[/HI]

WHY?

P.s. The Colosseum is closed for re-building work, it's a right ruin these days.....

:RollEyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

WHY?

P.s. The Colosseum is closed for re-building work, it's a right ruin these days.....

:RollEyes:

Because I have limited access to internet and not a lot of time to scroll thru heaps of threads. I enjoy a good laugh and read them when I am at McDonald's or where I have free wifi but not in this case. I am sorry if this offends some people but hope those that know me will understand my situation. If you want I will open a separate post so people can put these responses in and then I can read them at a later time and in more comfortable surroundings. Thank you for your understanding.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We've never been on any organised tours, but if you wanted my own personal highlights I'd say after the Colosseum try The Pantheon, which is one of the few fully intact Roman temples in Europe, and a pretty big one at that.

St Peter's Basilica is as impressive as you'd expect, and you can go up inside the dome onto the roof. Access is restricted on days when His Holiness has a gig in the Piazza so you might want to check that out in advance. The Vatican Art Gallery and Sistine Chapel don't disappoint if you like that sort of thing. If you're allergic to Adoration of the Infant Christ paintings just stay well away.

The Forum next to the Colosseum is worth a stroll round if you've got some time to spare. If you want to get into Nero's Golden House I'm pretty certain you have to book in advance.

In addition to all that there's the Piazza Navona, The Trevi Fountain, and The Spanish Steps which are all visually attractive in their own way but busy tourist honeypots.

If walking's an option for you it's not difficult to get around the centre of Rome to take in most of these places. There's also the metro but it only has two lines.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I was there a couple of years back and used the metro and walking, if you are reasonable fit it isn't a problem, one good tip if you are over sixty five is take your passport because lots of places give free entry for pensioners,
Be very careful about pick pockets my mate had €300 taken from his money belt on the metro at rush hour, so try and travel outside the busier times

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We used a company called Angel Tours. I don't know if they are the cheapest but the guide was an Irish guy who was excellent.

We did a tour starting from Palantine Hill, down through the Forum and then onto the Colleseum. Took about 4 hours and involved a fair bit of walking. The deal included a separate evening tour of the Pantheon. Cant recall the price but it wasn't outrageous I am sure.

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Don't forget the Vatican Museums are free on the last Sunday of every month: Free entrance from 9 am to 12.30 pm ::bigsmile:

Cheers

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I was there a couple of years back and used the metro and walking, if you are reasonable fit it isn't a problem, one good tip if you are over sixty five is take your passport because lots of places give free entry for pensioners,
Be very careful about pick pockets my mate had €300 taken from his money belt on the metro at rush hour, so try and travel outside the busier times

Thanks for that.. I also was warned about pickpockets but even so still managed to get my wallet stolen. Waiting on cards arriving from UK and running out of money. Don't know why the police (that seem to be standing everywhere) don't do a sting and set about catching these people as everyone I have spoken to has had their money stolen

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thanks for that.. I also was warned about pickpockets but even so still managed to get my wallet stolen. Waiting on cards arriving from UK and running out of money. Don't know why the police (that seem to be standing everywhere) don't do a sting and set about catching these people as everyone I have spoken to has had their money stolen

We were fine, but then my wife did go a bit OTT on security. I had one of those waterproof wallets that you hang round your neck which contained my cards and cash. It was invisible under my t- shirt.

My wife had a sort of body bag that went under her clothes which housed the kitchen sink.

I know of a cracking reasonably priced restaurant about 10 minutes walk from the Vatican if you are interested. Open in the evenings only and full every night of locals.

Best steak I have ever had:thumb:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I did 4 days in Rome doing all the sights, get a guided tour, ours was brilliant and you learn so much from a guide

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We were fine, but then my wife did go a bit OTT on security. I had one of those waterproof wallets that you hang round your neck which contained my cards and cash. It was invisible under my t- shirt.

My wife had a sort of body bag that went under her clothes which housed the kitchen sink.

I know of a cracking reasonably priced restaurant about 10 minutes walk from the Vatican if you are interested. Open in the evenings only and full every night of locals.

Best steak I have ever had:thumb:

Definitely keen on that...can you give me details.thanks
Oops just saw your second post. Will have a look. Thanks again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I did 4 days in Rome doing all the sights, get a guided tour, ours was brilliant and you learn so much from a guide

Which tour was it? I am getting bamboozled with all the options and after seeing some of the shady characters roaming around trying to fleece me more of my dwindling money supply's I am reluctant to take a chance on any of them unless they come recommended.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
This is a bad thread. I really , really want to go back to Rome now.:Sad:

Next time I will skip the Colleseum and spend more time in the Forum just looking around.

Love the Pantheon too - probably my favourite building in Rome.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am sorry if this offends some people but hope those that know me will understand my situation

Well why didn't you just say "Limited access, please keep it short" then no-one would be offended.

All museums in Italy are free if you can show you are over 65. The huge palace in Florence is a real treat at that price ( you've either missed it or will be there soon ).

Villa d'Este a short train ride outside Rome is a must if you want to see one of the world's finest water gardens.

Since the Vatican is not Italy I don't know about that.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Can recommend the Vatican even if you're not Catholic/ religious. Stunning artwork everywhere and you'll find you don't need to be on a guided tour. It's compact and there's lots of excellent information.

My daughter and I also did an evening guided tour of Rome (20 years ago, we went for her 21st birthday:Eeek:) Cooler than day time, Trevi fountain etc lit up. Beautiful.

Enjoy your visit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back