Why is the 3 signal so iffy (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Having got my three sim up and running , must say how happy I am with it but can't understand the signal, we have all got O2 phones here where we live as it is the only signal we can get all the time, but never good just enough for texts and calls if you are lucky but this three phone I have now won't work at all in the house nor on one side of the garden but if I walk ten yards to the other side of the garden I get H+ and can send picture messages and get on the internet! sort of nothing inbetween. Why is this, anyone know?

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Having got my three sim up and running , must say how happy I am with it but can't understand the signal, we have all got O2 phones here where we live as it is the only signal we can get all the time, but never good just enough for texts and calls if you are lucky but this three phone I have now won't work at all in the house nor on one side of the garden but if I walk ten yards to the other side of the garden I get H+ and can send picture messages and get on the internet! sort of nothing inbetween. Why is this, anyone know?

just spent 2 weeks on norfolk broads,,and the 3 dongle would work on one side of the boat but not the other,,,so no sorry i haven,t got a clue ,,,:Sad:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
just spent 2 weeks on norfolk broads,,and the 3 dongle would work on one side of the boat but not the other,,,so no sorry i haven,t got a clue ,,,:Sad:

Just doesn't make sense does it:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Love the broads , used to go every year before the mh but have still been most years in that too :thumb::thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i have found most phones and mifi's are prone to being directional. watch signal bar and turn phone etc flat pointing away from you and slowly turn in a circle

on some sites i find putting the mifi up high, tucked into the skylight works best

basically though you are limited by the phone masts which leave areas of poor signal. sometimes moving just a few feet helps, especially if its away from any electrical inteference

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Next time try what I did
It was showing 3 (calls only) but not 3G which to be honest does not happen often. Anyway I was waiting for the other half and decided to have a play around with settings.
Now I had already turned auto off and on a few times to see if 3G would come up but no good
I took carrier off automatic and it took a while but the came up with these carriers
E
? Can't remember
And also 3G. :Eeek:
So explain that one, it was only 1bar but it was fast enough :thumb:
Worth a try if you just get3 with no 3G

:thumb::thumb:

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Had the same problem in and around the house. Used to get about one dot on the phone's signal indicator if lucky. Get on to 3, tell them the problem and ask for a 'Home Signal Box'. It's FREE!

It just links to your router via a network cable and any other family member with 3 mobile can be added to the unit.

Since I've had the box, (about a year now)I get a wall-wall signal all of the time!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
3 were having some pretty major problems yesterday. I don't know any details - reported on someone else's Twitter feed. I expect google would turn up some more info.

I understand they been having quite a few problems since the start of June, which might explain why I struggled around 6th-7th.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Broken Link Removed

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

It's the way microwaves work compared to lower frequencies. They're very directional and very susceptible to reflections and obstructions, leading to very great differences in signal quality and level over very short distances.

Your best bet is to get a Mifi with an external antenna port and stick a great big omni-cantenna on the roof. With mine parked outside the house, I get 2 bars standing on the drive, no signal at all inside (I've got an Aluminium skin), and a full 5 bars on the external cantenna. When we drove up to York, it only dropped below 3 bars twice on the entire journey. Y0u can also use a Yagi, which will give even better signal when stationary with a bit of fiddling, but is not so good when driving around.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The trouble with 3 is it's 3 g or nothing. Most other providers let you get online with 3G, 2g, Edge and GPRS.
I've had a love hate relationship with 3 for 4 years. We just moved to a new house off the beaten track. No 3 signal so I threatened to leave 3 ( contract is up this week) and they put me on a great deal short contract and sent me a home signal box for free. Works great at home now.
One benefit of 3 is that in July, they will include France in their Feel at Home tarif.
That's going to save me a fortune!
Allan

HARESBY

Free Member
Jul 11, 2012
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie well sort of. Ex continental truck driver.
3 signal

Three has poor record of indoor phone signal. If you are on contract,not PAYG, give three a call and ask for tech department. When asked go through all their questions and request a "Home Signal Box". They cost about £50:Eeek: but generally free to contract customers. No problem with indoor signal now.Phone gone from 1 bar(sometimes) to full signal(all the time). No difficulties on set up either.:thumb:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
One benefit of 3 is that in July, they will include France in their Feel at Home tarif.
That's going to save me a fortune!
Allan

That's all I have got it for really so not bothered about the signal here just puzzled why it works like it does.
O2 is fine for phone here and I have a contract with them so am on pand go on three just for France where my last O2 bill was £65 extra:Eeek:

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
It could be that the different Operators are running from different physical sites.

I've found that here in the sticks we don't get them all. Ofcom have a site checker, though it is getting a bit our of date. Sometimes useful to see where the enarest base station is for direction ..............

Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back