auschwitz (2 Viewers)

simontheturk

Free Member
Jan 14, 2010
Funster No
Anyone gone any recommendations for parking up staying couple of nights,in auschwitz ,move across there in couple of days from prague.....which is a absolutly brilliant place,stayed at new small site,river camping prague

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
We were there a couple of years ago. You can stay overnight free in the car park near the main entrance to Auschwitz. There's a restaurant near so you can eat out.

To be honest after going round Auschwitz we were happy to get away. Its a moving and disturbing experience and one night was enough. We then moved on to Krakow and stayed in a camp site there.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The place where the birds never sing.........:Sad::Sad::Sad::Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
To be honest after going round Auschwitz we were happy to get away. Its a moving and disturbing experience and one night was enough. We then moved on to Krakow and stayed in a camp site there.

We felt like that after visiting Oradour sur Glane.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Went around Belsen in the 1960's......(now called Hohne), Germany. They (had) a 'black museum' that was only open for troops to visit. :cry::cry: Never want to return there again. You walk back through the forest, and the eyes are all around you, watching....*Shudder*.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
it is an experience that will live with you I went once many years ago
I don't believe in ghost but there is something abut that place that haunt's me
I have a aunty that survived the death camps and marred my uncle but she lost her hole family a very deep person sometimes her eyes were empty poor sole she dyed never knowing where her family went she had her no on her arm till the day she died :Sad:

Last edited:

mapa

Free Member
Sep 16, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Was there a few years back. Sobering place but very interesting. Its a fallacy that birds don't sing. There were masses of black redstarts all over the place. Nature dosnt care what went on there, it just gets back to normal business.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Went around Belsen in the 1960's......(now called Hohne), Germany. They (had) a 'black museum' that was only open for troops to visit. :cry::cry: Never want to return there again. You walk back through the forest, and the eyes are all around you, watching....*Shudder*.

It's in the Hohne area but still called Belsen. Open to all and close to Bergen.

Was there a couple of months ago.

Went there in the 60's too and was told that the birds don't sing but that's not true either.

Been to Auschwitch and Dachau they are too touristy for me.

Bergen Belsen is different as it is a memorial to those who perished.

:Cool:

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
In answer to the op question I wouldn't want to stay there for more than one day,
After spending a day preferably with an English speaking tour guide touring the camp it brings home to you mans inhumanity to man in a way no amount of new reel can!
A very sobering and haunting experience that move me to tears,

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Auschwitz is very close to where my dad and his family lived during the war, and they say they genuinely had no idea what was going on there, being under the impression it was a factory of some kind. I have been to visit it a few times over the years, and always found it phenomenally moving. It's not a fun day out, but rather it's a place you have to visit just to see how far mans inhumanity to man can stretch in the wrong circumstances. Last time I was there was during a heat wave, yet in the courtyard I started to shiver it was so cold. How do you explain that?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I would just like to say that I appreciate some of you didn't like VWalans comment but maybe like me he didn't know what went on over there. I never did like history at school. I couldn't even have told you the place mentioned was in Germany.

I took his comment about the gassing to mean maybe it was a rough area and there was lots of muggings so to beware.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
just get ready to drive off if you start smelling gas .

What a totally despicable and disgusting post.

How can a post like this be put on this forum?

Words fail me.

JJ :Cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We visited the Imperial War Museum in London and went into the holocaust exhibition..

It had a profound effect on both of us.. very very upsetting .. so much so that I never want to visit a death camp.. I know that is maybe selfish, but I don't need that kind of emotional upset to know the truth.

I have the deepest respect for these places and understand why they should be preserved, why many people visit, the history should be taught in schools and the atrocities never forgotten .. but I don't want to go there.. :Sad:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
sick piece of shit

Come on, this vulgar reply doesn't help, like you and the rest of us I was offended by what I hope was simply a very bad joke, something that probably seemed clever at the time

The one hour limit on editing has caught me out before, I am sure VWAlan never intended this level of reaction, but hope he will post an apology when he logs in next

Most of us will have said and done things that with hind sight were badly timed or worded but can not be retracted

David

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We visited the Imperial War Museum in London and went into the holocaust exhibition..

It had a profound effect on both of us.. very very upsetting .. so much so that [HI]I never want to visit a death camp[/HI].. I know that is maybe selfish, but I don't need that kind of emotional upset to know the truth.

I have the deepest respect for these places and understand why they should be preserved, why many people visit, the history should be taught in schools and the atrocities never forgotten .. but I don't want to go there.. :Sad:

Some people never had that choice, including members of our family - hence my post.
My words still stand.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't think I could bring myself to visit there.

I was very uncomfortable last year standing on Omaha Beach and walking around the war cemetery.

I watch a lot of war documentaries but I absolutely hate seeing footage of the families being herded into places like this completely unaware of the fate that awaited them.

Those poor people.:Sad:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I visited about 2/3 years ago with Mr T and the two wives very thought provoking place but glad i did non the less
Choice of sites in the area quite close
Krakow well worth a visit to the famous Schindler Factory, now a museum, Krakow is a beautiful place with Beautiful people, and fantastic restaurants, cheap too, local deep underground Salt mines well worth a trip also, there are lifts up and down if you've poor stairs ability
Id say 2/3 days in the area would be a good choice:thumb: but leave he camp till last, you might just appreciate leaving the area But do visit it and be sure to look in the camps book shop there are a couple of titles that form the basis of all Polish school children's curriculum, I was Dr Mengele's assistant is one such title
Geo

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My post attribution regards your post is very clear (highlighting)

ok.. but I don't need to visit a death camp to appreciate the horror.. would it make me a better person or even go some way to stopping it recurring.. ?

It wouldn't, it has been said many times, never let this happen again.. we mustn't.. yet it has done.. in many parts of the world.. and even recently during the Balklands conflict..

One thing we learn from history is that we don't seem to learn.. horrors, in many shapes and forms will and are being repeated and perpetuated as we talk..

ISIS are crucifying and beheading people, murdering prisoners.. raping and torturing women.. while our leaders wring their hands .. man's inhumanity to man knows no boundaries..

Last edited:

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
The comments on this site by a minority of people never fail to amaze and disgust me.
I stick with the forum because of the majority of people who give good advice etc
Do we really need comments like this, do people not think before typing, or keep their offensive remarks in their own heads,
Obviously not.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Both my children were taken there by their school at age 16, it was part of a school trip to Prague and Krakow. It touched them both, one probably moreso, she wrote a moving piece on her visit that was put on show at local townhall. :Sad:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Do we really need comments like this

And which comments do you refer too?? I commented 'OUCH' on the first page. Others have passed stronger comments, however, I do hope your reference to comments is directed at the original problem??
As for your other points, wrapping the world up in nice smelly scented tissue paper might be OK in 'Bunty', or whatever, but one of this sites greatest assets is it's ability to project the thoughts and meanings of it's contributors in an open and honest fashion, and, (within the rules), long may that continue. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back