Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Done a search, but cant find any discussion on this. Anyone got one??? Expensive, but it seems like a great idea.

Link Removed

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a huge amount of money for a computer fan, a switch and some flexi hose. then all it does is pump the smell of untreated shit outside for everyone else to smell. pretty antisocial on a campsite when your neighbours are having their alfresco breakfast as you take a dump:Sad:

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Also got a charcoal filter, so not much smell outside when in use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
then all it does is pump the smell of untreated shit outside for everyone else to smell. pretty antisocial on a campsite when your neighbours are having their alfresco breakfast as you take a dump

Great, then on that recommendation, I will buy one!! If I have to put up with everyone's stinking fish barbecues in the evening, mixed in with tons of disgustingly anti-social garlic, farmer Brown's cows in the next field, (And Farmer Browns s**t spraying habits,) the waft from the outside elsen that someone forgot to flush, then they can put up with my morning dump, (which most of them will never smell, as their still in bed, pi**ed from last nights very loud 2AM party). :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
HAd one in all our vans.. Would not really like to have a MH without one to be honest

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Just elbowing Tootles a side here, soz Toots.

We have a sog on our new (to us) van. Where should I be looking to check if we have a charcoal filter?

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Its in the thingie on the outside of the door..........:thumb:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Its in the thingie on the outside of the door..........:thumb:

Ok, I will have a look tomorrow and see if there is a filter there. Presumably, when someone pitched next to you on a site complains about the smell, that is the indicator that you need to change the filter?:ROFLMAO:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Had SOG on last MH, never aware of any smell on outside, but fan only runs when blade is open

My big anti was driving with cassette nearly full on winding roads I ended up with poo streaks down side of MH, not nice at all

After that always emptied before leaving site or put cap on vent pipe before moving when I remembered

Some have vent to roof so no problem for them

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Had SOG on last MH, never aware of any smell on outside, but fan only runs when blade is open

[HI]My big anti was driving with cassette nearly full on winding roads I ended up with poo streaks down side of MH, not nice at all[/HI]

After that always emptied before leaving site or put cap on vent pipe before moving when I remembered

Some have vent to roof so no problem for them

Ewwww:Eeek: that can't be right, surely?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Ewwww:Eeek: that can't be right, surely?

Not sure if mine was a home fitted or badly fitted version, but if smelly air can get out what stops liquid following, on most that I have seen the air outlet is on the door to the cassette so dangerously close to contents level

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My big anti was driving with cassette nearly full on winding roads I ended up with poo streaks down side of MH, not nice at all

Hmmmmmmmm........Maybe someone you ran over??????? :Eeek:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
There is an easier solution...

a) Wrap up the pooh in cling film and freeze it, dump it at the next available bin.

b) Drink a spoonful of Brute aftershave, that will nullify the pong and if you have an accident then "Splash it all over".

:thumb:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Installed 2 now, one on each van and wouldn't be without one.

There is a DIY thread on here where someone made their own and nicely done, if you're capable enough then go for it.

If like me time and a neat install is important then you'll be pleased with the £100 or so for a well put together kit of parts and availability or spare parts.

As for the smell, if you change the carbon filter once p/a then it's really no issue.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our SOG works fine but we also add a capful of bio washing liquid after every empty. This makes the contents sweet smelling when it comes to the next emptying.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Save over £100 and do a DIY SOG :thumb:Cost me nothing other than a couple of mugs of coffee --look for my Diy SOG thread for details :thumb:
terry

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Broken Link Removed
terry
Just to clarify it's made up from a BATH OVERFLOW PIPE WHICH NEEDS 2 ENDS -ONE GOES INTO THE VENT VALVE/remove/ IN THE CASSETTE --the other is set into the back of the door -a surface mount light/socket box and front blanking plate that holds the charcoal filter from a cooker hood -31/2 ins comp fan goes in between door and light box -bit of wire and the micro switch that turns fan on when blade is opened

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Here is another idea..

provided the cassette compartment is air tight there is no need for a vent pipe..the fan can be mounted on the toilet door and will create negative pressure in the compartment when running .. a modified cap on the cassette allows the air to flow through the toilet when the shutter is opened..

Blog with piccies.. http://www.dreampod.net/boroma/toilet_vent.html

I like it .. simple

Simon_H

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
Benfleet, Essex
Funster No
MH
Azalai
Exp
SOG fans work very well and I wouldn't have a van without one. However it does make you more disciplined when it comes to emptying the cassette. A certain amount of sloshing can project your waste into the SOG pipework. And stripping down the gubbins to get shite out of the blades is no fun at all.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
SOG fans work very well and I wouldn't have a van without one. However it does make you more disciplined when it comes to emptying the cassette. A certain amount of sloshing can project your waste into the SOG pipework. And stripping down the gubbins to get shite out of the blades is no fun at all.

see my previous post for a DIY SOG system without that problem..

Simon_H

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
Benfleet, Essex
Funster No
MH
Azalai
Exp
Thanks, I did read the DIY post. Personally I prefer to use SOG as when I come to sell the van it looks better on the 'For Sale' sign than "I plumbed in an anti-stink pipe myself" ::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks, I did read the DIY post. Personally I prefer to use SOG as when I come to sell the van it looks better on the 'For Sale' sign than "[HI]I plumbed in an anti-stink pipe myself" [/HI]::bigsmile:

No no no .. :Doh:

you market it as having an EFPWGET System,, ::bigsmile:

"Environmentally Friendly, Powered Waste Gas Exhaust Toilet System" .. :roflmto:

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Why not just disconnect the pipe before moving, and use the bung to stop the chewed bread emigrating???

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Why not just disconnect the pipe before moving, and use the bung to stop the chewed bread emigrating???

For goodness sake! That's far too simple:Doh: and doesn't cost any money, that will never do, tut! :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back