Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Has anyone got the problem of a dull toilet bowl, not a problem really but I think it is starting to pong a bit where the pee is impregnating it. I always use the pink flusher and always clean thouroughly after a trip with a non abrasive non bleach cleaner but after a short lay-up I can definitely smell wee when i lift the lid, even with the cassette removed and the locker spotless.
Is there a product that will shine and protect the bowl from odours? :thumb:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Do you have a leak between the shut off and the cassette?? Or have you a poor aiming mark??? :whatthe:
Not sure about the shiny bit. Shine isn't clean. You got a smell with no cassette fitted, you might have problems. :Sad:

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Do you have a leak between the shut off and the cassette?? Or have you a poor aiming mark??? :whatthe:
Not sure about the shiny bit. Shine isn't clean. You got a smell with no cassette fitted, you might have problems. :Sad:

No there is no leak, that was the first thing I checked, and no, I have a good aim, Im still in my forties...:ROFLMAO:
But seriously, the plastic bowl is definitely the culprit, as I can confirm when I get on my knees and,, well, get extremely close with the nasal cavities....and before someone says it, no, I do not have a fetish:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i know it sounds weird, but i polish mine with silicon resin polish. very little sticks to it and it rinses clean with water.....NO SMELLS

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
i know it sounds weird, but i polish mine with silicon resin polish. very little sticks to it and it rinses clean with water.....NO SMELLS
See, now thats not in the least bit weird, thats the sort of thing I would want to try but didn't know whether to or not :thumb:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
No to bleach, it makes plastic rough, which then gathers dirt and goes dull, I found that out the hard way, with a plastic washing up bowl

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Aaarrggghh I'm so confused:ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No to bleach, it makes plastic rough, which then gathers dirt and goes dull, I found that out the hard way, with a plastic washing up bowl

That's a very adamant statement made with just one experience.. which I would contest..

I've been using it for years to to clean and sterilise all sorts of plastic things , water bottles, toilets, food containers etc.. it also comes in plastic bottles...

Industrial strength , 10 times stronger than you buy in the shops, is supplied in plastic barrels.. it is pumped with ..yes you guessed.. plastic bodied pumps through plastic lines, into plastic washing tubs..

so perhaps you had another chemical attack your basin..

in any case.. it would be used diluted in a plastic spray bottle rather than neat and the contact time would be a few minutes..

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Here is a chart with a range of chemicals and how they affect plastics..

Chemical Resistance Chart
http://www.plasticsintl.com/plastics_chemical_resistence_chart.html

Scroll down to Sodium Hypochlorite 15% (Chlorine Bleach)

then check each type of plastic.. you will see only two are slightly affected.. and this is 15% strength bleach... .. domestic bleach, straight from the bottle is only 5%

Acrylic is Rated A = No Attack, possibly slight absorption. Negligible effect on mechanical properties.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

The idea is to leave it on the loo bowl for a few mins then rinse off ::bigsmile: Your plastic bowl is probably like mine stood in the sink all day with a mix of bleach in it that you leave your dish cloth in ready for use :winky:Even then it takes a good 3 or 4 mths before the bowl is eaten into ::bigsmile:People always say no b leach in stainless boiler again the idea is pour some in the tank and leave for a hour or so before flushing through -Others say use Milton sterilizing stuff after all it's used for baby stuff-Milton is just a mild bleach ::bigsmile:
terry

Last edited:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Thetford and Truma both recommend that bleach products are Not used on their products , we use our toilet all the time as full timers, I have found that the main cause of smells and the rough texture in the toilet bowl is a build up of calcium , I have found that a good rub with lidl's W5 limescale remover got rid of the calcium deposit and therefore the smell also polishes up quite well.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Over the years when flushing the cassette with pink added to the rinse,sometimes "Black bits" would appear on the bowl,recently a poster mentioned that the B/bits were caused by the Pink rinse aid. I just wonder if the pink rinse b/bits,plus the build up of calcium may be causing this rough appearance and smell.
I have learned something,we always use Milton ster/tabs and on reading this thread will happily continue,thanks.
Tea Bag

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Seen it all now........ the motorhome fun bog polishers club:Blush: maybe a separate section is needed.

Seriously, the Polish is a good idea. Just make sure he aims straight as well...

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
SOLUTION!! Pee behind a bush. Then the hedgehogs smell of it!! :thumb::winky:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks - I am sure that there is a euphemism there somewhere ........

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
take the dog with you and pee up against somebody else's van or awning. then you can blame the dog if anyone complains:ROFLMAO:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
take the dog with you and pee up against somebody else's van or awning. then you can blame the dog if anyone complains:ROFLMAO:

Poor dog..... Gets blamed for the smells and also the wee stains...... I'm calling the RSPCA......:winky:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Had it in mind as you posted...........:roflmto::roflmto:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

Can you give me a brand name for this this spray polish please? Is there something that's easy to find in a supermarket?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can you give me a brand name for this this spray polish please? Is there something that's easy to find in a supermarket?
I use the same MER as I use on the bodywork. autoglym and simonize do similar products. basically its a silicon resin that you polish on wet and it seals the surface leaving it smooth as glass when it dries and is buffed up:thumb:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mer-Ultim...ssories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item5b007f8007 for example

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

pegleg

Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
12 years
smell

:thumb:I use THETFORD BATHROOM CLEANER spray it on leave for a bit clean of then do it again and polish the bowl with paper towel leave it nice and shine lol also sounds daft but is your sink near by cos sometime the U bends get smellie stuff in there ,you never now, I had a smell and it was my waist tank just need a wash out ,good luck :thumb:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Oh well, looks like a fine idea - I've got some autoglym but will dig out the Holmenkoll super polish I used when polishing the bottom of the boat on the basis that it is designed to get wet, but albeit in a different way.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back