Free Member
Apr 15, 2014
Wellingborough
Funster No
MH
motorhome
Exp
I`m a newbie
I am wondering about the pro`s and cons, also cost of having an external BBQ point fitted onto my MH. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Pros..

No need for a gas bottle for the barbie , so saves payload or hauling a gas bottle from the locker..

Can be used abroad to feed gas into the van using a foreign bottle and regulator.

Cons...

Barbie up close to motorhome ..I prefer cooking well back from the van and not under the awning.. personal choice.

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
I am wondering about the pro`s and cons, also cost of having an external BBQ point fitted onto my MH. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

i just buy lots of the quick light throw away bbq from b&q through the winter,,,yes they take up a bit of room to store (not a lot) and weigh next to nothing,,,,,so i think they are a bargain......:Smile: only 2 of us for food so even at £1 each they would be a bargain,,,,,but we pay less....:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Bbq point is a must, so is a cadac. Cooks bacon quickly and perfectly, and keeps all the smells outside the van, and the smell makes your neighbours very jealous.

OP
OP
JonVonandDog

JonVonandDog

Free Member
Apr 15, 2014
Wellingborough
Funster No
MH
motorhome
Exp
I`m a newbie
Outdoor Smells

LOL, just in the process of getting a Cadac, your comment about making neighbours jealous has tipped the scales:thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you mainly cook for two people or only occasionally more, I recommend the Cadac Safari Chef, rather than the larger Carri Chef. We had the latter and switched to the former to save space and because it is quicker to set up. It is more than large enough for us.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/?_n...pt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&clk_rvr_id=652082018931

Regarding the gas point, I think the Bullfinch is a good model as it contains an auto shut-off valve when yoou disconnect.
If you get high pressure gas hose, you can buy more than 1 metre; low pressure hose is sold in restricted lengths (I think I have that the right way round). I have a decent hose 'tail' for the Cadac so it can be sited away from the van.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Another vote for a bulfinch bbq point, easy to fit as it only needs a 60mm hole. I fitted mine at the end of last year, got it from Hamilton gas products for £39.30 including p&p. I also put a tap inline just as another isolation point.

Whatton

Free Member
Apr 30, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Fitted a Bullfinch outlet too, got 6m of gas hose on the BBQ, use it every night when away. I've got refillable LPG tanks on the van so couldn't see why I should have to carry another bottle just for the BBQ.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
And another vote for it.

If you want a gas BBQ, then an external point makes it much easier and convenient, and the Bullfinch connector is simple and safe (did not realise it was called that till this thread).

Our gas locker is on the opposite side to the hab door, so are option would have been to have 2 bottles on the go and carry one round each time, the key/lock on the gas door is a real pain so that would have wound me up by each time :Angry:. So, basically we are really happy we got one fitted :thumb:.

We also have the Cadac carri, which is a bit too big for 2, but it works well, cleans easily, legs bring it to a good height to use and it is simple to assemble and after a few different attempts to pack away.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
If you mainly cook for two people or only occasionally more, I recommend the Cadac Safari Chef, rather than the larger Carri Chef. We had the latter and switched to the former to save space and because it is quicker to set up. It is more than large enough for us.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/?_n...pt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&clk_rvr_id=652082018931

Regarding the gas point, I think the Bullfinch is a good model as it contains an auto shut-off valve when yoou disconnect.
If you get high pressure gas hose, you can buy more than 1 metre; [HI]low pressure hose is sold in restricted lengths[/HI] (I think I have that the right way round). I have a decent hose 'tail' for the Cadac so it can be sited away from the van.

Someone told me the length shouldn't be more than 2m. which is plenty long enough to keep the Cadac away from the M/H

Also - another vote for the Cadac Safari Chef. Top bit of kit :thumb:

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
When the cadac arrived I had to organise the hose. I was allowed allowed only 2 metres( which is plenty), a couple of jubilee clips and the adapter, and sorted.

Easy, and I don't do D.I.Y.

And as mentioned the cadac is so easy to clean.
Reminder to self ' don't leave the washing up liquid at the camp site sink, and expect it to be there 30 mins later when SWMBO says " where's the washing up liquid " !!!!

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
In the listing provided by John Cross above, the Bullfinch outlet and plug is £34.99 and you get 10% Funster discount. Got to be a good deal.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
With regard to the hose length I fitted a couple of inline quick release gas couplings. I keep a 2 metre length on the cadac but if I want to move it further away I have a second 2 metre length to extend it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Gas Barbecue ?

The Cada is a good bit of kit , we have the Carri Chef.. or at least we did until we lost two of the legs on a French autoroute .. don't ask.. it still works of course sitting on bricks..

However , it is not a BBQ, it is a cooking girdle and works well.

I never found it easy to clean.. unless you get someone else to do it..

If you want to do proper BBQ food using gas then look at the Weber Go Anywhere gas version.. Broken Link Removed

or for the purest .. the GO Anywhere without the gas .. great bit of kit .. it is big enough for 4 and you can do proper smoked meat or chicken in it ..

Last edited:

Whatton

Free Member
Apr 30, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
With regard to the hose length I fitted a couple of inline quick release gas couplings. I keep a 2 metre length on the cadac but if I want to move it further away I have a second 2 metre length to extend it.

The bloke at the caravan accessory shop told me that they should only sell it in two metre lengths, I said I had three BBQ's and winked and he just cut me 6m off.

Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
Funny, I am a gas safe registered engineer and tried to buy a longer length of hose than 2 metres today, I was refused despite my credentials, However any tom, dick or harry can buy a boiler or gas fire from wickes or B&Q:Eeek:

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Hi, bought a Cadac as external gas point fitted to motorhome. Picked up a quick release adaptor + 3 &half mtrs gas pipe. So barbies all the way !!!!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp

Had mine done by my local dealer last year cost £70 including parts. Worth it to me. :thumb:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
A bullfinch+10mm copper pipe, through gas locker, te'd off the supply pipe, this fed our Cadac/outside kitchen:Smile:

Attachments

• IMG_0953.jpg
    IMG_0953.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
Essential piece of kit IMHO

We got an external point fitted by the dealer when we got our van. Use it most dry days for cooking meat especially. Decided to go for it having watched a lot of Germans use external cookers in Spain and France.

I bought a very cheap and cheerful two ring plus grill from mountain warehouse, which will do fine until we decide to upgrade to a Cadac.

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back