Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
For you tech heads out there - I would like to be able to have a couple more 240v sockets in the van, maybe one at the rear of the van and one near the cab area, is it possible to do ? and if so is it pretty easy to sort ? Thx in advance :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
not difficult at all. if you can wire a 3 pin plug, drill a few holes and drive a few screws, you have the necessary skills.

just wire them into the back of current sockets and run the cable neatly with plenty of P clips. you can buy sockets to match the originals on ebay or marcle leisure hold a good stock. nothing looks worse than a bodged job using household white sockets. take your time planning the wire run and you can usually conceal it very well. where it absolutely has to run surface, buy mini trunking in a matching colour:thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Try and use something like this ,as household sockets would look a bit naff ---unless you go for gold of course !

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I recently did this - put a double socket on the side of one of the fixed beds. Found the 240v feed quite close and cut in and fixed proper 30A junction box. Then ran flexible cable to it. I used a brushed chrome one with black inserts from B&Q. It is a reasonable match to what was there.

OP
OP
Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
Thx guys :thumb:... I have done many electrical sockets in the house so i know the jist of it but just wanted to know if it was any different - but what is this flexi cable ? and where do you get it from?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
3 core flex sold by the likes of b&q by the metre
or on ebay etc

Broken Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thx guys :thumb:... I have done many electrical sockets in the house so i know the jist of it but just wanted to know if it was any different - but what is this flexi cable ? and where do you get it from?

yes there is a difference.....house is a ring main and motorhome is a radial or radial star.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Arctic quality preferably, white flex or Orange or Blue same stuff as your hook up cables:thumb:
Multiple stranded wire, as opposed to single strand solid copper twin and earth wire which may fracture with vehicle vibration

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thx guys :thumb:... I have done many electrical sockets in the house so i know the jist of it but just wanted to know if it was any different - but [HI]what is this flexi cable [/HI]? and where do you get it from?

all answered except the reason for using flexible cable is that the installation is subject to vibration,..

Wiring[HI] may be flexible or with at least seven strands [/HI]in non-metallic conduit (wiring systems which will allow fire to spread along them must not be used) or sheathed flexible cables, with the smallest conductor being 1.5 mm2 in cross-sectional area. Where 240 V and extra-low voltage circuits (usually 12 V) are both used, the cables of the two systems must be run separately and must both be insulated for 240 V. [HI]Since the wiring will be subjected to vibration when the caravan is moved, [/HI]great care must be taken to ensure that bushes or grommets are used where it passes through metalwork.

Extracted from .. Caravan Installations

Last edited:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I found it very easy-took van to 'my man' said I'd like two new sockets,one each side of table so we can run our laptops-he fitted them,I paid bill,simples:ROFLMAO:

Mike

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
yes there is a difference.....house is a ring main and motorhome is a radial or radial star.

Once had a house wired as a radial..... or at least it was when we bought but not for long afterwards! The mains cable in was installed in 1929 and ran the length of the house, hessian covered. The electric company replaced it (free) as an emergency job ::bigsmile:

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
if you have a toolstation by you,,its ££££s cheaper than b&q for everything......

www.toolstation.com

dont need to be trade either.....

OP
OP
Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
Big Thanks to all :thumb: this is one of the many reasons its worth paying your membership to be a funsta :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back