Engine remap Ducato 3.00 160 (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I have just returned from our last excursion around East Anglia following the remap of the 3.0 Ducato . the power increase was from 157 to 197bhp and proportionate torque increase, resulting in fuel consumption dropping from 20.5 mpg to 23.5mpg when towing which effectively gives another 50miles out of a tank. When not towing 26mpg. The remap was done by CIT-TECH from Maidstone in Kent. Cost £250.00
As we use the MH a lot it will not take too long to recoup the investment.

Martin2603:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
good luck with that, especially if its a manual gearbox. 197bhp through a weak transmission, especially the dual mass clutch and flywheel. stupid money to replace soon works out an expensive upgrade.....bet they didn't tell you that before selling you the remap

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It will probably be ok but don't let the engine labour at low revs - keep it up around the 2000 Mark. Also suggest using premium diesel such as VPower, it will smoke a hell of a lot less............ Fantastic power and torque but really watch the clutch

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I still don't understand why a generic remap costs £250 plus when remapping my race car on a rolling road (which took five hours of skilled work) cost £395 inc VAT! Profit margins must be pretty good in this remap lark, half an hour (I'm being generous) with a laptop to remap a motor and it can even be done in a field at a show!

At least with my remap I saw the work being done, I saw the results being recorded and every step was explained to me, I even have the software to read and adjust the map myself if I feel the need.

But for £250 (or more) a bod comes along with a laptop and uploads a generic remap to "improve" what Bosch/Siemens etc and the vehicle manufacturers spent millions on developing?

I just really don't get why its so expensive to upload a generic remap when for less than twice as much my car was done with a custom map, no actually it has three custom maps (switchable ECU) which are customised to the vehicle and my requirements.

Can someone please explain this generic remapping to me 'cos I just don't get it!

D.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have just returned from our last excursion around East Anglia following the remap of the 3.0 Ducato . the power increase was from 157 to 197bhp and proportionate torque increase, resulting in fuel consumption dropping from 20.5 mpg to 23.5mpg when towing which effectively gives another 50miles out of a tank. When not towing 26mpg. The remap was done by CIT-TECH from Maidstone in Kent. Cost £250.00
As we use the MH a lot it will not take too long to recoup the investment.

Martin2603:thumb:

Rather you than me, I'll leave mine as is

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Good point, Mr Newell, sir...... Some companies charge even more

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I guess that's what people will pay so they will charge it, basic business (good business).

Martin

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Surely 157 bhp is enough for a commercial van based motorhome.

Let's face it most 7.5 ton delivery trucks are around 150bhp.

Oh and if you run it on the premium diesel you have just lost any gains in economy by the increased price of the fuel.:Doh:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Oh and if you run it on the premium diesel you have just lost any gains in economy by the increased price of the fuel.:Doh:

My own figures showed it to be more economical on the premium stuff and spreadsheet calculations showed it to be cost neutral.

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
Im really ignorant to this normal deisel and premium deisel, what is the difference apart from the price.?

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I suppose it must make sense....I guess, but I just don't understand this " remap" stuff, I have driven all sorts of motors, for what seems 100 years, and all of them, well, just went as quick as the manufacturer intended. My Transit just goes, it's fast enough, gets up to speed in a reasonable amount of time ( I'm on holiday in the MH) so why do I want the motor to do more than the maker intended? If I wanted more, I would have bought bigger/better!

Beats me. But I am sure somebody will put me right. :thumb::Smile:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Im really ignorant to this normal deisel and premium deisel, what is the difference apart from the price.?

Premium diesel has a higher cetane number and releases more power when it burns - think of it as high octane diesel. Due to other additives it also has a cleaning effect on engines and anecdotally people have reported better running when they fill with it every now and again.

People have also reported better mpg, which I would certainly agree with based on own data, however there is a caveat in that it does not work for all. Perceived wisdom is that it works much better in high performance engines including remapped ones. Plenty of stuff on the internerd about it all - also a lot of rubbish as well. Bottom line is that if the user feels better about it, then why not? I ran my 3 litre only on VPower or ultimate but current van runs on bog standard fuel

Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Well that certainly generated some comment!

Having run diesel goods vehicles for the last 30years from Ford D 0710 , merc 814, 1317, Volvo, Scania and 2 Daf 430s it has become apparent that a higher power to weight ratio generates more efficient operating costs. Strangely not all of us have a lead right foot and a light use of the accelerator to keep the engine in the torque band just over 2k yields best results. Without generating any smoke! All Kontiki s are available now at 180bhp of course.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back