Renovating yellowed plastics? (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Our 5 year old van's appearance is somewhat let down by a very yellow gas barbecue point. Is there an easy way to restore these short of replacement?

As an aside, why the feck are manufacturers using non-UV stable plastics?? It's not like it's rocket science to make UV stable ones. All the other components on my van are fine but the gas point sticks out like an old rotten tooth.

Tim

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
As far as I know, you can't restore yellowed plastic. You can of course, replace the component but a new one will probably yellow as well if it is an 'off the shelf' item.
Not as bad as having painted all the internal wood work in our home with Dulux white gloss only to find several years later when you come to touch up it's gone yellow and you have to repaint the lot!!:cry:
Mike

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Best to replace it. .. when the plastic degrades it also gets brittle..

maybe try a different manufacturer and ask if they use non degrading plastic.. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Our van is coming up to 2 years old and we have various "bits" going yellow......never mind the quality feel the width. :Sad:

The phrase "not fit for purpose" comes to mind. I wonder if anyone's successfully claimed against a manufacturer for a free replacement?

Tim

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Best to replace it. .. when the plastic degrades it also gets brittle..

maybe try a different manufacturer and ask if they use non degrading plastic.. ?

It'll probably come to that but I don't think it's so brittle it needs replacing yet, it's just unsightly. It's just a poor show that's it's happening so quickly. Smacks of a "couldn't care less" attitude by manufacturers.

Tim

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Our van is coming up to 2 years old and we have various "bits" going yellow......never mind the quality feel the width. :Sad:

I would check out the manufacturer's warranty. I've just found that my yellow gas point is British made (unlike all the white flaps which are German). Bullfinch, the makers have a five year warranty on gas points (which mine is just outside alas). I've asked them if I need to buy German if I want a UV stable gas point. Who knows, maybe I can shame them into replacing it anyway. ;-)

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My Bulfinch out side gas point cover has also gone yellow , its about 3 years old :Sad:

Darn, it looks like their guarantee is only for 1 year on gas points. :-(

"Bullfinch manufactured products are guaranteed for 5 years against faulty components and workmanship. This guarantee covers the cost of replacement parts and labour in our factory. It does not cover normal wear and tear, misuse of or tampering with the product by the user. We accept no responsibility for costs incurred as a result of works done by the customer, or a third party, or consequential damage or loss.

A one year guarantee applies to the following products:

Marquee heaters
Cooker hotplates
Outdoor Utility Points
Cabinet and wall mounted heaters
Remington and other fan assisted heaters
Products in our Extra Range
"

I would still complain to them though. It's just not good enough. As a nation I don't think we complain enough about stuff like this.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Tesco cream cleaner and a "non-stick" scourer made our plastics slightly less yellow: NO LIABILTIY accepted for ANY problems caused by ANYONE doing ANYTHING similar - Gordon

Swiftroy1

Free Member
Jan 3, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I painted all the off-colour plastic mouldings with aerosol enamel paint. Most of the items were 19 years old and after a quick wash, accepted the paint without further preparation.

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I painted all the off-colour plastic mouldings with aerosol enamel paint. Most of the items were 19 years old and after a quick wash, accepted the paint without further preparation.

Might try that. Thanks.

Tim

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999

I did the same with an awning light canopy and cooker vent. You'd never know the difference from original.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
GRP can sometimes be brought back white as it is sometimes only the surface that is damaged sometimes by UV and often by people using incorrect cleaners and polishes that have solvents and/ammonia. A good GRP polish wont smell of ammonia. I was always told to avoid Tcut as it contains ammonia.
I sell GRP polish on ebay and at shows and get great feedback (other brands are available) See Broken Link Removed

If anyone does want any I will offer a 10% funsters discount but please PM me dont buy on ebay as it goes straight to the checkout and wont allow discount.

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
GRP can sometimes be brought back white as it is sometimes only the surface that is damaged sometimes by UV and often by people using incorrect cleaners and polishes that have solvents and/ammonia. A good GRP polish wont smell of ammonia. I was always told to avoid Tcut as it contains ammonia.
I sell GRP polish on ebay and at shows and get great feedback (other brands are available) See Broken Link Removed

If anyone does want any I will offer a 10% funsters discount but please PM me dont buy on ebay as it goes straight to the checkout and wont allow discount.

I tried a bit of T-cut but it barely made any difference. Anyhow, Bullfinch are sending me a new one gratis.

Tim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back