Immobiliser decoded now Hymer won't start properly??? (1 Viewer)

Queenie

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ive recently had the immobiliser decoded on my Hymer B534 as the engine kept cutting out, it cost me £300, Ive just picked the van up and now i have trouble starting the engine.....all diagnostics came back working ok, the engine does not crank over it takes time, makes a growling sound as if the battery is flat, I'm assured the battery is not flat, sometimes it works after turning key 3 times, sometimes i have to leave a few mins and try again before it starts, the diagnostics garage have said it may need a new alternator and will have to take it to another garage. The engine was cranking over ok before having the immobiliser done, the garage assured me they never touched anything apart from the fuel pump to the ignition. Help this is driving me MAD, i don't know which garage to take it too, as my normal garage has now shut.
Near /Newquay, Cornwall.:cry:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I would check the earth straps battery to body engine to body

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
corroded earth strap to the engine will give those symptoms and a also a worn starter motor. both get wet and hot, which encourages rusting/corroding

cheapest test to try first is to temporarily fit a jump lead from the negative battery terminal to the engine block. if this allows the van to start its the earth strap so not expensive or difficult to fix

next is to check the charging circuit to ensure the battery is getting charged properly. if it is, then chances are its the starter not energising. cheaper to have a starter rewound and serviced than buy new

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
2.5 TD 1998:Smile:
On this model the immobiliser is easily isolated. I wouldnt call decoded a correct description of what they have done, its more a case of linking a couple of points at the injector pump. Once its done if its been done properly it cant really go wrong. The immobiliser cannot stop the van starting as the circuit it cuts has been linked together.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Daedalus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2013
North Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Poor or non starting

Hi Queenie

Had a similar problem a couple of years ago on my old 2.5 TD Hymer E650 (funnily enough, after the immobiliser had been bypassed), it would appear that the earth for the engine actually utilises the innards of the starter motor to form the earthing point.

They are renowned for giving up the ghost at the most inopportune times - simple answer - connect a suitably sized earth cable from the point where it is attached to the starter motor and connect the other end to one of the gearbox housing bolts.

Make sure everything is clean, shiny and tight (i.e. properly connected joints on the cable and clean metal at the connecting points).

A quick check can be carried out using a battery jumper lead - connect one end to a suitable point on the engine block, the gearbox housing would be a good place, and the other end to the battery negative terminal - if the engine turns over okay and starts without a problem, fit the auxilliary lead as described above.

HTH

Daedalus

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back