Uprating MLW (1 Viewer)

Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Are SVTech the only company in the UK to do this? £312 inc vat seems a bit steep for a paper exercise.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
They told me 2 weeks max so will be really happy if they turn it around in less - I don't think anyone else can do it - did do a search but never found anything. Very, very helpful people to deal with. Expensive? Yes perhaps, but if it gets the job dine quickly and without hassle then ok with that :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
anyone can do it . svtec are very helpfull . there is a company called wheelbase . plus lots more .
i had a list at one time given to me by dvla or vosa cant remember .
but as said you have to know what to do.
must say i found gareth marsh at svtec to be very helpful.
as it is i didnt need them i got some advice from him .
i recommend them easy to work with . you could ring vosa in swansea they will give you several that use them regularly.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Are SVTech the only company in the UK to do this? £312 inc vat seems a bit steep for a paper exercise.

unfortunately uprating isnt just a paper exersize.

A lot of research has been put in by SVtech as to what can and cant be done.
Many motorhome base vehicles are downrated at the factory to cover a greater customer base regarding licence categories and SVTech will research all the vehicles to see what, if any, higher weights were used before downplating.

If a higher rated model was never available they calculate what work regarding brakes, suspension, tyres and chassis modifications are needed to be able to apply for an uprated VIN plate.

All this research and work must be paid for so the cost is shared between different upgrades....not just one specific model..

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
is it your Adria Vission you are wanting to upgrade? i just did my Adria 670 myself with only a supporting letter from SVTECH at £50.

mine was from 3500 to 3650 both plates were already under the bonnet. if you go online DVLA the process and what is needed is listed. where you will fall short is that DVLA will want a certificate from either Adria or a professional body to confirm the change is suitable for ( in my case back to the original chassis plating ) the change.

i prepared and sent off everything to DVLA they then wanted the certification which sometimes comes with the vehicle docs; not in my case so i had to go to Svtech and as for help.
as i had done all the work and i was only moving to the already FIAT plated weight they contacted DVLA and sorted it for £50.

if its more complicated than that and its not aleary down plated Svtech is your most reliable hassle free option.

OP
OP
drago35uk
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
unfortunately uprating isnt just a paper exersize.

A lot of research has been put in by SVtech as to what can and cant be done.
Many motorhome base vehicles are downrated at the factory to cover a greater customer base regarding licence categories and SVTech will research all the vehicles to see what, if any, higher weights were used before downplating.

If a higher rated model was never available they calculate what work regarding brakes, suspension, tyres and chassis modifications are needed to be able to apply for an uprated VIN plate.

All this research and work must be paid for so the cost is shared between different upgrades....not just one specific model..
Mine is just a paper exercise. It left the factory as 3900 and was downplated at registration to 3500......no research needed as verified by SVTech

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Now you are taking this lights show way too far.... What weight are the lights you've got?

:Eeek:

Ps had mine done by sv (last van) easy job hassle free and much cheaper than doing it yourself when we checked:thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Had mine done by SV and they were excellent.

The people at Swansea on the other hand were just the opposite denied it was a motorhome refused to issue the new certificate and furthermore demanded proof from me including photos and certificates that it was. :Doh: This was all despite the V5 stating it was a motorhome. One quick phone call to SV and they dealt with the whole thing including all correspondence with Swansea.

Paper exercise ? well maybe but you'll be glad of the support if you get into conflict with DVLA.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Now you are taking this lights show way too far.... What weight are the lights you've got?

Ps had mine done by sv (last van) easy job hassle free and much cheaper than doing it yourself when we checked:thumb:

Well a great light show is always worth watching.......

My van was rated at 3500 but as it was unregistered it only needed one document from the factory to give it 3650. Of course the French are somewhat economical with the truth when it comes to real life payloads and when we loaded up with fuel, gas, bikes etc it was on the limit at the back and overall. I spoke to SV tech who confirmed that they could go to 3700 as a paper exercise but it would not help the back, so had to buy two higher load tyres and air assist suspension to uprate the back from 2000 to 2240. They will then replate to 3850. Plenty of room at the front so no modifications needed there.

It is work in progress at the moment, everything sent to SV tech on Saturday. 3850 means that we will actually be able to take a decent amount of water and also put stuff in the garage without leaving the bikes behind. :thumb:

motorhome42

Free Member
Feb 12, 2010
North Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2009
Up rating mow

Hi

We up rated our LMC from 3500 to 3750 ourselves as we also thought the cost for a paper exercise (in our case) was exorbitant. After contacting SVTech and LMC themselves we thought that the there must be an easier??? and cheaper way of up rating. As our chassis was made by Alko we contacted them. After several conversations and having provided them with chassis numbers etc. they provided us with all the certificates and new plates we required. We then sent off this info to the DVLA with the log book and everything was changed accordingly. It did take a little time and effort on our behalf but cost us nothing!!! The added bonus was that we received a refund on our tax disc as the new one was actually cheaper.
:thumb::thumb::thumb::beer:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mine is just a paper exercise. It left the factory as 3900 and was downplated at registration to 3500......no research needed as verified by SVTech

what i was doing was justifying the cost.

Can be done by anyone, but DVLA's record of not knowing what you want or not knowing how to do it are very well known.

So much easier when the local offices were active.

OP
OP
drago35uk
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp

It's not just the lights. It's the huge generator to power them::bigsmile:

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Had our Mercedes uprated to 4000kg by Sv Tech, when I came to attach the plating sticker I noticed that the chassis number had an incorrect number in it, 3 instead of an 8.
Rang Sv Tech and discovered that the number was wrong on the V5
They sent me a replacement certificate and sticker free even though it obviously wasn't their fault.
Top marks to Sv Tech first class service, very helpful, pleasant to deal with and quick:thumb:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
The fall back to uprating from 3.500 to 3850 is when one reaches 70, is the licence requirement.... speed restrictions, annual Medicals:Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back