BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Oh yeah! Arrived Dunkirk last Monday - quick fag stop in adinkerke then wilding at bray dunes. On to aires at fort Mahon plage, the banks of the seine at mailleray sur seine , then a great free aire at Fougeres before landing on an acsi site at concarneau !
Have just got out the pool and have a large 1664 and am gonna call the CC to change my ferry so we stay another couple of weeks!
Generally gonna head south via La Rochelle to Bordeaux and see what happens ::bigsmile:

Mote beer and sun I expect - and moule frites and grilled sardines and and and and !!!!

Truly converted:thumb:

Bonjour and au revoir Rodney :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Cheers Bernie - I'll bring you a 2 euro bottle of vino as a thankyou:Eeek:
Will certainly spank it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sounds great.

Carry on enjoying it:thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Glad to hear you are both having a fabulous time.

Be careful now, you might not want to come back

Looking forward to seeing some photos when you return xxxxx

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
If you get the chance I can recommend a visit to Puy Du Fou. It's not far from Cholet. Give yourself more than one day there to see it all. They have their own aire which makes it easier. If you can include the Cinescenie it is incredible! The whole place is incredible!

http://www.puydufou.com/en/

Wyn

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If you get the chance I can recommend a visit to Puy Du Fou. It's not far from Cholet. Give yourself more than one day there to see it all. They have their own aire which makes it easier. If you can include the Cinescenie it is incredible! The whole place is incredible!

http://www.puydufou.com/en/

Wyn

Is it a kind of theme park, or is there anything authentic about it?

Not sure it's for me to be honest.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Stay as long as you can, we are doing 3 weeks in Brittany
You know it makes sense. Mange tout
Allan

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
France

PUY DU FOU is a theme park but the evening show starts at 11pm. Traces the Vendee history and is acted by 100s of local people. We always laughed at the French 'Grand Spectacular ' that wereusually rubbish but this is something different. Yes there are Brits because the Vendee has always been popular. It took me 20 odd years to build up the courage to go!! From someone to deprived his kids from Theme parks this is a must to be seen show! I think you can also overnight there.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Technically, yes, they describe it as a theme park. Probably because there isn't really an alternative term for it. Think of all the reasons you would not want to go to Disney, for example then visit Puy and see the difference. It's very difficult tp put across how different it is as I don't know what to compare it to.

Wyn
Is it a kind of theme park, or is there anything authentic about it?

Not sure it's for me to be honest.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
PUY DU FOU is a theme park but the evening show starts at 11pm. Traces the Vendee history and is acted by 100s of local people. We always laughed at the French 'Grand Spectacular ' that wereusually rubbish but this is something different. Yes there are Brits because the Vendee has always been popular. It took me 20 odd years to build up the courage to go!! From someone to deprived his kids from Theme parks this is a must to be seen show! [HI]I think you can also overnight there.[/HI]

Yes. They have a huge aire there alongside.

Wyn

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Oh yeah! Arrived Dunkirk last Monday - quick fag stop in adinkerke then wilding at bray dunes. On to aires at fort Mahon plage, the banks of the seine at mailleray sur seine , then a great free aire at Fougeres before landing on an acsi site at concarneau !
Have just got out the pool and have a large 1664 and am gonna call the CC to change my ferry so we stay another couple of weeks!
[HI]Generally gonna head south via La Rochelle [/HI]to Bordeaux and see what happens ::bigsmile:
There is an aire just off Avenue Jean Moulin, La Rochelle (N46°09.188, W001°08.399). No electric there but a very good location next to the Park & Ride. We paid 10.50 euros for one night but that includes return bus tickets for up to 4 people into the centre of La Rochelle. (Town parking bans motorhomes). Entry to the aire is closed on a Sunday but you are able to exit.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
If you are down near La Rochelle, we can recommend Il de Re, 8 Euro to cross the causeway, really beautiful island covered with cycle tracts, vineyards, oyster beds and lovely beaches. There is an aire in st Martin (by the rampart walls) and plenty of campsites. About 5 in the ASCI book.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Generally gonna head south via La Rochelle to Bordeaux and see what happens ::bigsmile:

Mote beer and sun I expect - and moule frites and grilled sardines and and and and !!!!

Truly converted:thumb:

Bonjour and au revoir Rodney :ROFLMAO:

As long as you do not look for x2 chairs you sold me, carry on enjoying yourself:thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Heading to vannes tomorrow - then to sables d'olone (1374 in acsi book!) for a bit more fun!
Very hot and sunny and doin my best to keep hydrated:ROFLMAO:

Anyone comment if that coast is any good for surfing? Feel the purchase of a couple of body boards coming on!!!

frank550

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Heading to vannes tomorrow - then to sables d'olone (1374 in acsi book!) for a bit more fun!

Anyone comment if that coast is any good for surfing? Feel the purchase of a couple of body boards coming on!!!

If you go to Bordeaux, don't miss out the Dunes at Arcachon, I believe theres decent sites nearby too, unsure of the aires situation.

Unfortunately Aquitaine has passed a new Methodist law banning all sales of beer to the Brits. Sorry.....:ROFLMAO:

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Nice biggish aries with hook up included in barrier price i think we paid 10euros for 2 nights when we stayed at sables d'olone last August . 15 min walk through lovely old town to a great beach and promenade we loved it there on our tour last year, may get a bit of surf if lucky but a bit calm when we swam there, mind the jelly fish though.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009

Go a little further south for surfing. My first stop would be Mimizan plage (big aire with EHU €12.00) then Capbreton large aire with EHU was €10.00 last year. Many surfing competitions held at Hossegor just a couple of kms north of Capbreton.

I was at Mimizan plage 10 days ago and the surf appeared to be good.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Got some more wifi now!
Left concarneau on Monday (great little site there ) and went to a site at vannes reccomended by a couple we met at the aire at Fougeres - but it was a bit tired - so pressed on out on the peninsula south. First aire was full, and the second closed! A friendly froggie couple led us to another close by where we stayed last night - bit quiet but we found the only bar and livened it up in true funster style::bigsmile:

Headed south today into the vendee and now just south of les sables d'olone at a yelloh! Village site - le littorels (1374 acsi)
Paradise!!!!!
Fully serviced pitch- pool and slides - bar restaurant shop etc! Not bad at €16 a night! Surf beach 3km away:Cool:

Got our boards at a decathlon store on the way down and fully boozed up from a lidl in town about 7k away.

Comparing the forecasts - it's hotter and sunnier than Beni here right now:thumb:

Ooh la la - back to hydrating myself:beer:

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
We stayed on that site, very nice, good job u loaded up with booze, about € 5 a pint up the bar, have a good one, there's a good Motorhome aire in sable D'Olonne where you can park up if you fancy going down town they charge though but worth a visit for the bars and you can stay there overnight if your pissed up, ask the English speaking lady in reception where it is cos awkward to find but perfectly positioned for the town.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
only five weeks for us then were off and have no fixed destination soo looking forward to it
have a grate time bud

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We did most of our surfing near Camping Les Dunes at Brem Sur Mer when we were down that way, although Les Sables is supposed to offer good waves too. If you go onto the Ile de Re (bridge toll is 16 Euros in the summer season) your bodyboards will get their best use at Bois Plage en Re, simply because most of the other SW facing beaches have too many rocky outcrops to be safe. There's two aires right behind the beach there (Google Maps 46.177108,-1.386542), one free (and thus popular) and the other just opposite is run by Camping Campeole Les Amis de la Plage who charge around 12 euros a night for marked grassy bays, a hot beach shower, BBQ point and up to an hour's wi-fi. We were there in April.

Bikes are essential on Ile de Re - it's very cycle friendly.

Other well-known surfy spots further down the coast towards Biarritz are Lacanau-Ocean & Hossegor (both contest venues), Cap Ferret, Biscarrosse-Plage, Mimizan-Plage, and Capbreton. Round Biarritz there's La Barre, Anglet, Grand Plage (Biarritz centre) and Marbella Plage.

Last edited:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hiya

Glad to hear you're loving it over there - sounds like you're totally converted! Good place for body boarding is the Cote Sauvage near Les Mathes, just north of Royan, we've had many a fun day on the beach there. Not far from you is a lovely town called St Gilles Croix de Vie, great seafood restaurants there.

Are our chairs enjoying themselves?

Have fun

H & A :wine:

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Hiya

Are our chairs enjoying themselves?

Have fun

H & A :wine:

Hey H & A
Yup - converted! Not too keen in the small sleepy villages but like the towns!
Glen & Jeanette stayed in Normandy with the chairs as they didn't fancy driving this far so we left em to it lol:winky:

No stopping us now - not back till 25th! :thumb:

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp