Engine Battery on Burstner a747 (1 Viewer)

alanjenkins

Free Member
Jun 7, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
My engine battery (about 8 weeks old) has gone flat even though it was only started 2 weeks ago. It is on a hook up and the panel says 13.8v on both engine and habitation batteries. Should it charge itself up when its not being driven? Fuse or switch problem? Help welcome - First time poster

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Alan

Welcome to fun.

Doesn't sound right that you say the engine battery is flat but the panel says 13.8v which certainly isn't flat. Might be worth putting a voltmeter on the battery just to see if the panel is telling lies. Could possibly be a bad connection if the battery is fully charged and still won't start.

Somebody else will know the charging system on this van I am sure.

Martin

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
the earth cable on a fiat is a known problem check that first

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
My engine battery (about 8 weeks old) has gone flat even though it was only started 2 weeks ago. It is on a hook up and the panel says 13.8v on both engine and habitation batteries. Should it charge itself up when its not being driven? Fuse or switch problem? Help welcome - First time poster

If it shows 13.8V it is actually receiving a charge otherwise it would be showing around 12.8V or even less than 12V if it was flat. Check that the earth and terminals are clean with good contact.

I recently had a flat engine battery that showed 10.8V and that showed me it was buggered. :cry:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
not all vans charge the vehicle battery by default, thats why split charge relay devices like the bcm12 or batterymaster sell well. bcm12 just over £20 batterymaster over £60 both pass charge from charger or solar panels to the van battery when the leisure battery is full

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back