Grey waste tank bad smell through plughole (1 Viewer)

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
My waste tank is starting to make a bad smell in the van which is coming up through the plug holes,
what do people do to clean the tank and make it smell acceptable?
pete

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Make sure its empty before leaving a site and tip 3 large bottles of cheep coca cola down the plug. Drive home and leave it overnight after the drive, then empty the tank. After you have done this each time you empty the tank tip 1 capfull of bio washing liquid down the plugs.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a bottle of cheap coke if you get a problem, but the occasional capful of bio washing liquid in a pint of hot water prevents it getting too smelly

maybe also consider fitting a trap to the sink waste

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
This happened to me last summer when it got warm in France and I was using Bio washing liquid too and emptying every 2 days.

The only way that I finally got rid of it was to pour a bleach solution down each plug hole and drive around for a while and now I always use Thetford or Elsan tank clean and I have a sweet smelling grey waste tank.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This happened to me last summer when it got warm in France and I was using Bio washing liquid too and emptying every 2 days.

The only way that I finally got rid of it was to [HI]pour a bleach solution down each plug hole [/HI]and drive around for a while and now I always use Thetford or Elsan tank clean and I have a sweet smelling grey waste tank.

:thumb:

also, if you have U traps the smell from the tank should not get into the hab area.. either you don't have any or they are dry.. if the former, fit them.. if the later (assuming they are filled) they may need removing and cleaning as they may be the source, not the tank..

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
Last week we were trying to work out where a very nasty smell was coming from and realised the same as you that it was coming up from the sink holes. Whilst emptying the waste I vaguely remembered that when I collected the MH we were given a starter kit which included 3 bottles of chemicals Blue, Pink and Green. I hadn't even looked at the green assuming... Well.... I don't know what the hell it was. Got the wife to have a look and turns out thats what we should be using down the sink holes to keep the grey tank from getting nasty.

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
Why have a grey water tank and leave the tap open?, I see lots of vans doing this with a little container under the drain, as we use our shower in the van regularly I would spend all my time running around emptying the container.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Each time we move I put a small amount of Bleach and bio washing liquid into the last bowl of washing up water, close the drain tap and drive.

7 years on & the tank does not smell as bad as some I have had the unfortunate experience to empty next to.

Before anyone says this will damage the tank or pipes, remember you do the same with the washing machine at home

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Why have a grey water tank and leave the tap open?, I see lots of vans doing this with a little container under the drain, as we use our shower in the van regularly I would spend all my time running around emptying the container.

1. It helps prevent a smelly waste water tank as water is running straight through before it gets a chance to stagnate.

2. It saves faffing around with draining the waste water tank when you move off.

3. A 'little container' like a builders' bucket will hold around 15 litres of water - more than enough for me to shower and wash my hair in. One trip to empty it while filling up a drinking water container or emptying the toilet cassette doesn't involve much 'running around'.

So now you know why. :Smile:

OP
OP
UK Pete

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Thanks for the answers , i was leaving the tap open at the back , but i have now become paranoid that i will be one of the people that get slagged off by the grey water police:ROFLMAO: for accidently letting the odd trail of waste on the road where the tank has not fully emptied, but hey what the fcuk, i will do the coca cola thing and leave the drain open when empty, and risk the wrath of others that might see a tiny splash come out and assume i am one of the people who drives off draining the whole tank on the road ha ha
pete

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Actually I was joking about leaving the tap open all the time...:winky:

I do though when parked on my own land just as I often drain my grey water out when in the countryside where the water just soaks away into earth.

I reckon these grey water police are those who use their motorhomes on campsites all the time...

Obviously it would be a tad mean to let your grey water run out and into someone's awning. :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
[HI]a bottle of cheap coke[/HI] if you get a problem, but the occasional capful of bio washing liquid in a pint of hot water prevents it getting too smelly

maybe also consider fitting a trap to the sink waste

Don’t forget, to avoid fatty-deposit build up, use diet coke.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Scotties gave us a tip when we first started out..
Been using it on occasion ever since..

A bottle of fresh orange juice works a treat..

But last year we could not find any, so woman just poured about a cupful of bleach ( Domestos I think it was ) in to a sink full of water and gave it a good stir..
Then when fully mixed pulled the plug so the water and bleach goes down the pipes with whoosh ( sort of thing )..

That worked really well too !

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams

Not if there was a hole in your bucket,dear mousey,dear mousey! ::bigsmile:

Vlad

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

Use a larger container??? :Doh:

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
Silly me, I thought the tank was supposed to be the container?

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Waste tank smells.

Fit some of these-

Link Removed

These came as standard on our Chausson, the spare outlet is blanked off. The unit incorporates a water trap.
Smells gone, and no having to remember to put a plug in or arse about with tank cleaning products!:thumb:

Gary1309

Free Member
Aug 1, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
I have just had this problem on our first proper holiday, so I googled for a solution whilst in Asda Bodmin and found these posts. I tried two cheap bottles of cola @ 17p each (Asda price) and a bottle of bio washing liquid £2 and poured in the cola, by the time we got to lands end the smell had almost gone. I drained the cola next morning and have used a measure bio washing liquid twice just to be sure. I can report no smells now. Cheers guys

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our drains have traps, even the shower and no smells inside, even though the actual grey waste can be quite smelly when emptying. The cheap cola goes in occasionally as it really gets the crud off the inside of the tank if left for a while. You can see why nobody in their right mind would consider drinking the vile stuff.:sicker::sicker:

Jenowen

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
We put a capful of Milton bleach down the sink after emptying the tank. Much less damaging than ordinary bleach. Works a treat.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
every one talking abut waste tank taps didn't know there was such a thing:confused:
joking aside
but we just make up a strong solution from soda crystals pore it down the plug hole and drive around be carful it is a very strong alkali one pack 1kg to 10 litters of water it gets rid of all the grease and crap out the pipes and tank then just stick the garden hose down the plug hole hold in while sum one turns the water on flush till keen both shower and sink once treated and clean just use solution every three months my parents used to do this with her caravan 35 years ago to keep the pipes clean I just do it when I get's a bit of a smell but only two times on this van in a year

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I'm surprised half of you aren't too embarrassed to rock up to the checkout with 17p cola in your baskets:p

I can just hear the comments in asdas staff canteen

" should have heard the excuse this cheapskate gave me today for drinking pola cola" :D

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
not every one can afford the more expensive ones and low income family's cant afford any thing but that at times
It was a tongue in cheek comment in case you hadn't got that :p

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back