Best car to tow with motorhome (1 Viewer)

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Hi,
Looking at buying my wife a new "small" car, it would be good to be able to tow it behind the motorhome sometimes. Which is the best? We have a dog so the smart car is too small and horrendously expensive.

Advice please?

I would like something with a bit of comfort for everyday use but compact enough to tow.

:Cool:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
any small hatchback is ideal.
You need to check your train weight on the vin plate before making a decision.

Some motorhomes have less than a ton of trailer allowance and most hatchbacks are over a ton gross weight.

Like any other trailer its the gross weight which matters....not what it weighs at the time of towing.

My last toad was a 1997 vauxhall corsa behind a 3850kg swift kontiki with a 2 ton allowance....the corsa's gross weight was 1140kg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We tow a 2010 C1 5 door which has been fine, it was a special edition 'Splash' it came with central locking, AC and elec windows for £6995 new. Some great deals are available in the month before the new reg release.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Car to tow

Can recommend a Kia Picanto if the weight suits. Mine is a 4 door, central locking, elec windows and air con. Great for round town and cheap to run.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
Aixim diesel:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
For the last four years we towed a Peugeot 107, spot on , four seats aircon electric front windows 60mpg.
Same as Toyota Aygo and Citroen C1 :thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Like any other trailer its the gross weight which matters....not what it weighs at the time of towing.

Whilst many like to keep to this for peace of mind, the law as far as gross train weights is concerned relates to actual weight. The situation for driving licences is different.

It is perfectly legal to tow a 3500kg car trailer behind a Fiesta, provided it is empty.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
try a dels boy robin reliant.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Toyota IQ, like a smart car but 4 seats, more comfortable, more reliable, a lot better drive, but not cheap.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
For the last four years we towed a Peugeot 107, spot on , four seats aircon electric front windows 60mpg.
Same as Toyota Aygo and Citroen C1 :thumb:

Same here, Peugeot 107 5 door brilliant little car and like a tardis, four people with plenty of room, £20 tax and 60 mpg - we have the auto version and it tows like a dream on the A frame.:thumb:
She comes everywhere with us.

Trikeman. :winky:

frank550

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Stupid question of the day......

Does the mileage of the towed car go up when its being towed?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Another vote for Peugeot 107, as said cheap tax ,good economy and very comfortable for a small car and no the odometer doesn't go up when towed, well not on the 107.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi,
Looking at buying my wife a new "small" car, it would be good to be able to tow it behind the motorhome sometimes. Which is the best? We have a dog so the smart car is too small and horrendously expensive.

Advice please?

I would like something with a bit of comfort for everyday use but compact enough to tow.

:Cool:

No one has asked.. is this by Trailer or A frame and whether using abroad or not. ?

If A frame then be aware of being fined abroad.. in particular Spain, you risk being fined and instructed to remove the A frame and drive the car. Other European countries have also started to fine users.

If a trailer, this is legal in all countries, downside is initial cost and storage, not only at home but on sites where pitch room may be tight.. particularly abroad.. A trailer is also more hassle than an A frame.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Fiat Panda on A frame, no milage clocked up when towing.
Previously a Citroen 2cv on a trailer, Panda is so much easier
5 minutes to connect up, trailer could take 25 mins and loads of hassle.
Arrive on site, disconnect car and drive to side still with A frame on, than sort out MH - easy.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Whilst many like to keep to this for peace of mind, the law as far as gross train weights is concerned relates to actual weight. The situation for driving licences is different.

It is perfectly legal to tow a 3500kg car trailer behind a Fiesta, provided it is empty.

You might want to check into that - the law now states 'technically permissible train weight'. DVSA and the police have been fining people for this when towing 3500kg trailers with such as L200 , Ford Rangers which have a tow limit of between 2.2 tonnes and 2.7 tonnes despite the
fact they are running empty or even part loaded. Generally its around markets or auction sales where they lie in wait for the unwary. They don't need a weighbridge for that as it is weight plate vs. weight plate.

frank550

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
No one has asked.. is this by Trailer or A frame and whether using abroad or not. ?

If A frame then be aware of being fined abroad.. in particular Spain, you risk being fined and instructed to remove the A frame and drive the car. Other European countries have also started to fine users.

If a trailer, this is legal in all countries, downside is initial cost and storage, not only at home but on sites where pitch room may be tight.. particularly abroad.. A trailer is also more hassle than an A frame.

Jim,

has there been any specific info come through on which countries are looking at this issue more closely than others?

Ta

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim,

has there been any specific info come through on which countries are looking at this issue more closely than others?

Ta

Just reports from Fun members..

Bryan was fined in Spain and had to unhitch the car

In our convoy were three RV's towing cars on a-frames and a fifth wheel unit.

After an overnight stopover we were cruising down the motorway at 80 km/hr and a Guardia Civil Trafico office on a motorbike passed us one by one, pausing at each a-frame. He then raced off in to the distance.

As we rounded a bend a little further on he was there, in the lane in front of us, waving us all off the road onto a slip road.

To cut a long story short, all RV owners were fined (40 euro each). We were not told to un-hitch. He asked where our destination was and said that if we were stopped again to show them our paperwork and we would not be fined again for this journey.

Also read that Germany is clamping down on it..

this thread has a lot of info .. Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
You might want to check into that - the law now states 'technically permissible train weight'. DVSA and the police have been fining people for this when towing 3500kg trailers with such as L200 , Ford Rangers which have a tow limit of between 2.2 tonnes and 2.7 tonnes despite the
fact they are running empty or even part loaded. Generally its around markets or auction sales where they lie in wait for the unwary. They don't need a weighbridge for that as it is weight plate vs. weight plate.

The issue is often that it is a commercial vehicle which is below 3.5ton towing the extra weight would require a taco graph fitting. Theoretically a motorhome is not a commercial vehicle.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
The issue is often that it is a commercial vehicle which is below 3.5ton towing the extra weight would require a taco graph fitting. Theoretically a motorhome is not a commercial vehicle.

That is a separate issue the technical overload has only been enforced in some area for about 2 years and recently there have been more cases - you are right in saying they have targeted commercial use vehicles but the law is the same regardless. So far very little action has been taken against caravans and motorhomes by the authorities but it will happen and if you read previous threads you will see they planned to start looking at such issues from May 2014. I suspect it will only be advisory action initially unless there are gross issues.

You always have to bear in mind ignorance is no defence in law

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I can tell you one not to use, good product but totally lousy service
PM me if you wish to know :Angry:

Jim et Lou

Free Member
Oct 12, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I am new to this
Thank you every one that responded. I have found a place in Chesterfield so it is close to me.:thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

"The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

SCHEDULE 8
PLATES FOR CERTAIN VEHICLES
PART I

Particulars to be shown on plate for motor vehicles (including motor vehicles forming part of articulated vehicles)
7. Maximum gross weight (c).
8. Maximum train weight (d).

(c) This weight is the sum of the weights to be transmitted to the road surface by all the wheels of the motor vehicle (including any load imposed by a trailer, whether forming part of an articulated vehicle or not, on the motor vehicle).
(d) This weight is the sum of the weights to be transmitted to the road surface by all the wheels of the motor vehicle and of any trailer drawn, but this item need not be completed where the motor vehicle is not constructed to draw a trailer.

b), (c), (d)
References to the weights to be transmitted to the road surface by all or any of the wheels of the vehicle or of any trailer drawn are references to the weights so to be transmitted both of the vehicle or trailer and of any load or persons carried by it."

Clearly, the gross train weight is compared against the weight transmitted to the road surface (actual weight), not the plated weight of the trailer, which is not mentioned at all in this section. (The subsequent one imposes the restriction on not exceeding the trailer max gross).

Of course, the police frequently have no idea of road law, as it is quite complicated, and people might have erroneously accepted a penalty for an offence for which they were not guilty. I know they sometimes don't have a clue, because one once tried to do me for driving in a bus lane. My minibus had 11 seats, so was perfectly entitled to drive there. Quoting the statutory instrument at him only seemed to enrage him, but I was right and he was wrong.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
would love to take a video of you arguing this point at the roadside with a DVSA officer and the police:ROFLMAO: would be great on youtube

I know for an absolute fact that several horse boxes and trailers behind 4x4s and vans have been stopped and fined for technical overweight over the last couple of years in my area alone. news of this travels fast within the horse riding community. I also know of builders being fined for the same and vehicles towing boats being stopped too.

ignorance of the law is no defence, even if what you believe to be true is wrong or out of date. taking advice that you should argue with the DVSA or police from somebody you dont know on an internet forum is guaranteed to land you in plenty of trouble

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
would love to take a video of you arguing this point at the roadside with a DVSA officer and the police:ROFLMAO: would be great on youtube

I know for an absolute fact that several horse boxes and trailers behind 4x4s and vans have been stopped and fined for technical overweight over the last couple of years in my area alone. news of this travels fast within the horse riding community. I also know of builders being fined for the same and vehicles towing boats being stopped too.

ignorance of the law is no defence, even if what you believe to be true is wrong or out of date. taking advice that you should argue with the DVSA or police from somebody you dont know on an internet forum is guaranteed to land you in plenty of trouble

I have indeed, as I have stated, argued with the police over similar matters and won. The ignorance of the law is often with the police. I will always check the primary legislation first, because government agencies and the police frequently give conflicting or erroneous advice. Cut through the fluff and read the law itself.

Indeed, I've just checked the legislation as amended to 2014, and it still absolutely categorically and unambiguously uses actual weights for the calculation of exceeded GTW.

If you know of people who have accepted a fine for this, perhaps you should give them a nudge and see if they can have their convictions set aside.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back