How do you clean mucky bits off the paintwork (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
My MH is 3 years old now and I've noticed a few marks on the front end. You know the kind of thing that probably hits you at speed and then sticks onto your bonnet like glue.

I've got some of these blemishes of with some tar removing thing from Autoglym (or whatever they're called), but it was darned hard work and it is far from perfect.

Does anyone have any bright ideas or maybe you know some solution I can get, or eve better still some home made concoction.

Any advice would be very much appreciated as I'm trying to get the MH in top condition for the summer.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
My MH is 3 years old now and I've noticed a few marks on the front end. You know the kind of thing that probably hits you at speed and then sticks onto your bonnet like glue.

I've got some of these blemishes of with some tar removing thing from Autoglym (or whatever they're called), but it was darned hard work and it is far from perfect.

Does anyone have any bright ideas or maybe you know some solution I can get, or eve better still some home made concoction.

Any advice would be very much appreciated as I'm trying to get the MH in top condition for the summer.

some people use white vinegar others use fly insect remover many kinds of this product available...have you not seen it in Halfords.....:whatthe::whatthe:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
holts do an effective fly arse remover.

Spray on screen, it becomes a foam, then leave a few minutes, rinse off and dry.

From memory its called Holts fly squash remover.

Used it years ago on the visor when i rode motorbikes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I can only suggest soaking them, say with a soapy towel laid over them and then left overnight. Even then some sort of bug-off and elbow grease will be needed.

I've used autoglym resin polish on my van and added their extra gloss protection applying three coats to the front of the vehicle and two everywhere else. Took ages to do it but I washed the van this week and stuff like bird muck came off quite easily.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Try Wet Wipes - it might not get it all off but it'll look a lot better (honest) :thumb:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Sticky stuff

I have used both Pampervan and Silky paste. The latter was more succesful.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Try Wet Wipes - it might not get it all off but it'll look a lot better (honest) :thumb:

We have also find wet wipes/baby wipes will remove stuff other products won't. Makes you wonder what they do to babies/toddlers skin.

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
WD40 :Smile:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The front of ours has had quite a bit of polish, but to remove dead flies etc I find that Autoglym rapid detailed works well, and it doesn't remove the polish that is already there.

Martin

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
As said above, a good soaking works well.

However, the problem you're experiencing, and to which a few replies have attested, is the high friction of your paintwork. This is making your job significantly harder.

A bind that it is to many, the benefits of giving your paintwork a good polish are more than cosmetic.

The paint resists dirt far easier and cleaning is consequently far quicker. The paint finish is deeper and women will want to make love to you*.

* That bit is not verified as it's not happened to me, but you never know, so please do try...

Once you've polished and waxed, you're good for maybe a year. It depends how anal you are. I'm one of the 'worst' culprits in that regard, but I hate Udo when he's dirty. Doesn't seem right.

Another good product is Autoglym All Purpose Cleaner. I've sung this product's praises on here many times already. It's fantastic stuff! I use it on all my cars for insect removal, amongst many other uses. Cadac cleaning springs to mind.

All the above suggestions are perfectly acceptable. Your choice. :thumb:

Last edited:

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
Two words........... Bilt Hamber

http://www.bilthamber.com/

I use their polish and their alloy wheel cleaner. The polish is brilliant, easy to apply and even easier to polish to a hard wearing shine and the alloy wheel cleaner is a miracle in a bottle, simply spray on, leave for 5 mins and wash off, amazing results! :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok,, time to mention a virtually free and very good remedy from a bikers world :winky:

Whilst fly bums are a pain on motorhomes and cars, they are as nothing compared to the amount of fly bums you get on a bike screen ( which seem to suck flies in from a 10 mile radius ! )

When it is wash down time, get some old news papers and soak them in water.. warm is best but not essential

Place the wet newspapers on the areas you want to clean of bums ( !! )

Leave in place while you wash the rest of the vehicle.
When the rest is done peel off the news papers and all the fly bums will be nice and soft and ready to wash off

If any one is interested I can brink some Wurth fly bum removal sprays to the bring and buy.. Had them in stock for a couple of years ( bought WAY too many !!! ) and will sell them at cost ( £5.00 )

Just looked and I have 8 bottles left.

This will give you an idea of how effective the stuff is.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw3dr11rFjc"]Wurth Insect Remover - YouTube[/ame]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back