Fiat X244 Seat Boxes. Is there a market for them? (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings All,

Just had an enjoyable time swapping our 'Standard' Seat Boxes in the Hobby for lowered ones. We both got fed up slouching down in order to see out of the windscreen, especially when heading downhill. Who knew that seats and boxes plus swivel mechanisms weighed so much.

Anyway I've now got two standard seat boxes in the garage. Is there a market for them or do I resign them to the recycle yard. I'm not wanting to circumvent the Buy/Sell Ads but as a newbie I have no idea as to whether anyone would want them.

Advice please.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Don't know if there is a market, but I can recognise the problem of crouching down. In my Adria the driver's side seems worse than that passenger's. Where did you get the lowered ones please and how much? Also were they easy to fit?

Thanks

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don't know if there is a market, but I can recognise the problem of crouching down. In my Adria the driver's side seems worse than that passenger's. Where did you get the lowered ones please and how much? Also were they easy to fit?

Thanks

Buy them and get them cut down :thumb::winky:straight swap then :thumb:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
Musical chairs

errrr, I just paid £50 for a seat base for the passenger side of a Renault Trafic which came with a twin bench seat that side as I wanted to swap for two single, swivelling captain seats in the front. If your boxes fit into such a vehicle there you have your market :thumb:

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi Again,

To answer the first question, the seats were purchased from Wyvern Seating in Shepton Mallet. I saw the advert for them from the back of MMM. Each box was £98 and they would have charged £16, I think for the pair to have them delivered but we picked them up from the sellers house.

The original fitments are not really boxes. They are a tubular steel fabrication with plastic fitments on the four sides to make the 'Box'. If you were to go down that route as suggested by Terry then I would imagine that the plastic sides would no longer fit. The new boxes are exactly that, boxes made from sheet metal. The holes for swapping were all there (including the three holes for attachment of the handbrake)
I found no problems at all in fitting the passenger chair which I did first but without realising it until I had removed it from the 'van, the drivers swivel mechanism was of a different makeup to that of the passenger seat and, instead of it being a simple swop, I had to modify the fixing place for the swivel mechanism . It was not particularly difficult but, at the same time, not quite straightforward.

Thanks for the info from Simply regarding his purchase. I guess there's money in the old 'boxes' after all.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Regards seat height, when I had Autocruise Starfire I had same problem, my solution was to take seat and swivel off height adjustment part and just use seat and swivel. This lowers height and save weight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve1087

Free Member
Nov 20, 2009
Selby, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
I swapped the drivers side one on my old motorhome with a Wyvern seating box. I kept the old seat base and passed it on when I changed the motorhome, in case the new owner preferred the higher seat. Might be a deal breaker if you don't. Didn't need the Wyvern box on the new motorhome because the drivers seat doesn't swivel.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I swapped the drivers side one on my old motorhome with a Wyvern seating box. I kept the old seat base and passed it on when I changed the motorhome, in case the new owner preferred the higher seat. Might be a deal breaker if you don't. Didn't need the Wyvern box on the new motorhome because the drivers seat doesn't swivel.

Hi Steve,

Neither SWMBO or me are what you might call vertically challenged but I reckon it would have to be one of Snow White's mates before they could make use of the standard seat. Now where are those blocks of wood for the pedals???

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back