Motorhome Parking Consultation (1 Viewer)

monty the motorhome

Free Member
Jan 27, 2013
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
august 2012
just got the following from North Yorkshire County council :-
Please see attached letter and questionnaire, informing of the commencement of the consultation period regarding the proposed control of motor caravan parking in the given locations.
For your information, the consultation will be sent in each case to all statutory consultees, street frontages and other interested parties.

The deadline for response is the 10th July 2014. Please note this date also is now applicable to the Sandsend consultation.

Due to the volume of enquiries received, we may not be able to answer all questions raised individually before the closing date of consultation, however please be assured all comments received will be included for consideration.

Kind regards

Emily Murphy
Area Customer Care Officer

Area 3 Whitby Office
North Yorkshire County Council
Whitby Highways Depot
Discovery Way
Whitby
YO22 4PZ

You can download the relevant info from my website www.montythemotorhome.com click on accessories tab.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
regretfully this new (old but new to me) lappy does not have suitable software to open the file. I'd suggest others may have the same problem if you want help maybe you should cut and past relevant passages in a post.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's a .rar file. An alternative to a zipped file. Haven't used it for years. Suggest change it to a zip or leave as the original. Is it really much smaller than the original?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

monty the motorhome

Free Member
Jan 27, 2013
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
august 2012
regretfully this new (old but new to me) lappy does not have suitable software to open the file. I'd suggest others may have the same problem if you want help maybe you should cut and past relevant passages in a post.

Its a zip or compressed file. if your pc cant uncompress the file you can get free programs to uncompress.

Either from here [ame="http://download.cnet.com/7-Zip/3000-2250_4-10045185.html"]7-Zip - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com[/ame]
or direct from 7-zip website http://www.7-zip.org/

OP
OP
M

monty the motorhome

Free Member
Jan 27, 2013
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
august 2012
It's a .rar file. An alternative to a zipped file. Haven't used it for years. Suggest change it to a zip or leave as the original. Is it really much smaller than the original?

Any compression program will open it regardless of .rar .zip .???

Its compressed to keep altogether and help on bandwith.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No good for those of us with iPads I'm afraid. (Didn't PC's go out with the Ark?)

Yesss.. of course they did Mike.. thats why we can all open a zipped file and iPad users cannot open virtually any sort of file unless it is a picture or htm !! :ROFLMAO:
Really modern and up to date that system isn't it !! LOL !!!

But to the OP..

My reply is thus..

Dear Nick West ( area Manager )
It is heart warming to find an area so completely out of any fiscal issues it can afford to ensure a growing number of possible visitors are made to feel unwelcome .. What a change to other holiday destinations in the UK who are desperate to encourage tourists

Long may your town ( a town permanently scrubbed off the list of places to spend money by approx 30,000 motorhome users ) continue to prosper and out perform financially most other east coast resorts

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Well thanks for that useful link.:Angry:

It has just opened about 200 new tabs by itself on my android tablet!:Doh:

Have just managed to reset the unit, now its bedtime!:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
For those with ipads and or no program to open a compressed file...

Nick West B.Tech., C.Eng., M.I.C.E.
Area Manager
Highways & Transportation
Area 3 – Whitby Office
Our ref: MOTORHOME CONSULTATION Discovery Way
Whitby, YO22 4PZ
Fax: 01947 820314
e-mail: area3.whitby@northyorks.gov.uk
www.northyorks.gov.uk

3rd June 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

CONSULTATION RE. MOTOR CARAVAN PROHIBITION – VARIOUS LOCATIONS

Filey Road, Cayton Bay, Osgodby Hill, Cayton Bay, The Beach, Filey, Crescent Hill, Filey, The Crescent, Filey, Sandsend Road, Sandsend, North Promendade, Whitby, East Terrace, Whitby, Royal Crescent, Whitby, Love Lane, Whitby, North Terrace, Whitby, Church Street, Whitby, Royal Albert Drive, Scarborough, Sandside, Scarborough, Foreshore Road, Scarborough, Esplanade, Scarborough.

As you may be aware, the County Council, as Highway Authority, introduced temporary traffic restrictions in 2012 to prevent motor caravans parking between the hours of 11pm and 7am at the above locations. In order to make these measures permanent, the Council is required to consult those directly affected by the proposal. The purpose of this letter is to provide you with details of the restrictions and allow you the opportunity to express your views.
Attached is a plan showing the extent of the restrictions in hatched red, and a simple questionnaire to enable you to signify your view(s). Please return questionnaires by 10th July 2014.
North Yorkshire County Council welcomes those using motor caravans to its sea-side resorts. The relevant streets are sea-front locations, where it is considered that the overnight parking of motor caravans significantly detracts from the amenity of the local area and the lives of those living in the streets.
If there are no reasonable objections to the proposals, it is anticipated that the restrictions will be made permanent within six months from the end of the consultation period. If objections are raised which are not resolved or withdrawn, it will be necessary to report the matter to the County Council’s Area Committee which will decide on the course of action to be pursued.
Yours faithfully

Nick West
Area Manager

A “Motor Caravan” is a vehicle of category M with living accommodation space which contains the following equipment as a minimum:

(a) seats and table;
(b) sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats;
(c) cooking facilities;
(d) storage facilities

The definition is contained within European Directive 2007/46/EC.

Q1 Contact name ____________________________________

Q2 Contact address Q3 Telephone/fax/email

____________________________ __________________________

Q4 Do you support the introduction of a traffic regulation order that prohibits motor
caravans from parking on the highway any day from 11pm to 7am?
(please tick one box only)

Q5 Would you support an exemption from the above order for anyone displaying a
blue badge in a motor caravan? (please tick one box only)

Q6 Would you support an exemption for residents that own a motor caravan and live
on any of the streets directly affected by the order? (please tick one box only)

Q7 Are there any other comments you wish to make regarding motor caravan
prohibition? (please write below…)

FOI Statement
Your views are important and you are urged to complete the questionnaire without delay. Your name and address is required for the analysis of the survey. Forms that are returned incomplete cannot be included. You should also be aware that this is a public consultation and that once submitted, your comments may be held on a public file and may be made available for others to read under the Freedom of Information Act 2000

The rest of the docs are pdfs with maps showing areas affected.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
But to the OP..

My reply is thus..

Dear Nick West ( area Manager )
It is heart warming to find an area so completely out of any fiscal issues it can afford to ensure a growing number of possible visitors are made to feel unwelcome .. What a change to other holiday destinations in the UK who are desperate to encourage tourists

Long may your town ( a town permanently scrubbed off the list of places to spend money by approx 30,000 motorhome users ) continue to prosper and out perform financially most other east coast resorts

Sorry John but the most that will achieve is to be dismissed as a whinge.

Rightly or wrongly NYCC and SBC have decided, having received representations from motorhome owners and others, that a ban best serves the overall public interest. Simply restating the same arguments will not work and having a go at the councils could even be counterproductive in that it could entrench their views.

The only way the ban will be rescinded is for someone to put together real evidence that the ban is actually against the public interest.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The comment is meant for no one but us forum members.
It is how I feel about it and how I expressed those feelings to folk on here Graham

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
How is a ban best serving the overall public interest
I would like to hear the views from any motorhome owner who actualy supported this. I don`t think that SBC took the any views of any motorhome users only views of local residents

Why not ban all parking for all vehicles between the alloted hours, at least then you wouldn`t feel so dicriminated against

l

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have filled the form,
They have already changed their letter as they retracted their original email and sent a second one. NYCC is an absolute joke.

Their second email was sent with someone elses email who had requested one. Their name and email address was there for me to see. I will be considering making a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office re the breach of data protection.

If you can see someone elses email address I suggest you complain to the council and ICO.

What a joke dont the council train people about data protection?

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I can't say that I'm familiar with every street mentioned, but I'm fairly sure that Royal Albert Drive, S'bro has no residents and is wide enough for 4 vehicles side-by-side, so I wonder what amenity is being denied to the good burghers of the town? When I parked there I noted a 3.5t restriction, although the roadway is very regularly used by double-deck buses.

In fact, I wonder what amenity is being denied in any of those places by motorhomes parking between the hours of 11pm and 7am?

This is, quite simply, an attempt to force MHs to use campsites. Given that there are no facilities of interest to the MH community, I doubt that many could remain stationary for more than a few days before they needed to drive off to fill and empty water containers (although I guess somebody would transport them by foot/bike/toad in order to maintain a prime spot), so it's not as if there should be a fear of a semi-permanent encampment. I would be surprised if the outcome of this consultation is not a foregone conclusion, but it might be in "our" interests to respond with as many carefully completed questionnaires as possible. TBH, how many residents of Whitby/S'bro/Filey are going to respond other than those who live along the named roads?

Fight the good fight with all thy might - Gordon

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
i really don't like this discrimination that's happening against just motorhomes, would be fairer for all to ban any parking between those hours apart from legitimate residents..
it doesn't stop lorries parking or other large vehicles and am sure that that would have a larger impact on the amenity of the area and the lives of the residents..
i know what i'd rather see parked there..

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
If you ask this mob for anything under F.O.I. act you will be told that you commit an offence if you share the info given with anyone.
SO, someone told me that they asked a number of questions about the alleged litter problem caused by Motorhomes which N Yorks were saying is the big issue. The Council were unable to say: What type of litter, How many incidents, Who were the Complainants, How many prosecutions for litter.
Their only response was that all the info they had was anecdotal from Councillors. They could not advice how many Councillors!
You could be forgiven in thinking that 1 councillor,without any evidence of any problem has pushed this!:Angry:
Bernie

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in previous posts on this particular subject, isn't one of the local councillors an owner of a local campsite or two, with all the vested interests that go along with that?

For myself, I've visited the specific region, and have no particular desire to return.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have filled the form,
They have already changed their letter as they retracted their original email and sent a second one. NYCC is an absolute joke.

Their second email was sent with someone elses email who had requested one. [HI]Their name and email address was there for me to see.[/HI] I will be considering making a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office re the breach of data protection.

If you can see someone elses email address I suggest you complain to the council and ICO.

What a joke dont the council train people about data protection?

If that had happened when I was a data protection officer then disciplinary action would certainly have been taken. A complaint to the ICO is perfectly justified if NYCC don't take appropriate action (but ICO will probably not act before NYCC are given a chance to do so).

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[HI]How is a ban best serving the overall public interest [/HI]
I would like to hear the views from any motorhome owner who actualy supported this. I don`t think that SBC took the any views of any motorhome users only views of local residents

Why not ban all parking for all vehicles between the alloted hours, at least then you wouldn`t feel so dicriminated against

If you ask this mob for anything under F.O.I. act you will be told that you commit an offence if you share the info given with anyone.
SO, someone told me that they asked a number of questions about the alleged litter problem caused by Motorhomes which N Yorks were saying is the big issue.[HI] The Council were unable to say: What type of litter, How many incidents, Who were the Complainants, How many prosecutions for litter.
Their only response was that all the info they had was anecdotal from Councillors. They could not advice how many Councillors![/HI]
You could be forgiven in thinking that 1 councillor,without any evidence of any problem has pushed this!:Angry:
Bernie

All this has been discussed in previous threads but basically it is the complaints (anecdotal or not) which have been used to decide the public interest question. Part of the problem is that responses from motorhomers have also been anecdotal. For example saying that motorhomers spend money but showing no hard evidence of how much.

It will make no difference how many complaints are made about anecdotal evidence used to support a ban or how many unnamed councillors are blamed because we are in a state where the evidence given to NYCC previously has (rightly or wrongly) been judged to justify the ban.

The only way that will change is if the evidence against the ban can be proved to be false and/or there is over-riding evidence of benefits which outweigh any problems.

As regards being told that you would commit an offence if you share info given as a result of an FoI request, I am yet to see such notices on any communications from NYCC (or SBC). There are confidentiality notices (and some information may well be subject to copyright) but that is all.

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
Basicly NYCC and SBC seem to think that all motorhomes are a freeloading bunch who do nothing for the local business ie guest houses camp sites etc so petty minded .
They can spend ratepayers money implementing a ban on motorhomes parking in certain areas but they cant seem to grasp that if a designated area was provided we would willingly pay to use it.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I have now replied to the questionnaire, in email format. Hopefully this will be accepted.

I cannot conceive of any reason to ban motorhomes from parking overnight without also banning all other vehicles. These are totally self-contained machines (I own one) and, in my experience, the chances of their owners creating unsightly waste, annoying other folk with excess noise or other anti-social activity is considerably less than I have experienced from many other road users: most motorhomes are operated by people similar to me – a retired teacher with a social conscience and a reasonable disposable income.
My parents spent their honeymoon is Scarborough. I was taken there as a child and through my teenage years, often camping at Dennis’ near Filey. As a father I took my own children to camp at Silpho Cottage and the CCC site at Scalby. In these situations, I needed a campsite with all facilities. My motorhome does not need these facilities. In France, and many other European countries, I am welcomed and encouraged to park for free or at low cost, using a system referred to as “aires”. These are provided by local communities which benefit from motorhome owners spending money in local shops rather than putting it into the hands of campsite owners (I will happily spend £20 per night in a café/restaurant if I haven’t paid that for a small square of grass: if I have paid to camp then I spend £4 in a supermarket for simple food and cook it myself). Several councils in the UK are now realising the potential for attracting tourists by providing similar schemes: NYCC will drive me, and many like me, into the arms of other towns if you implement this proposed parking ban. You will also fail to attract as many foreign motorhome users, who find it difficult to understand such discriminatory attitudes, as you otherwise might do.

PS Royal Albert Drive has no residents and is an ideal spot to ENCOURAGE overnight parking and generate extra income: think positive please.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Basicly NYCC and SBC seem to think that all motorhomes are a freeloading bunch who do nothing for the local business ie guest houses camp sites etc so petty minded .
They can spend ratepayers money implementing a ban on motorhomes parking in certain areas but [HI]they cant seem to grasp that if a designated area was provided we would willingly pay to use it.[/HI]

Have you (as Rapido925M has done) given them details of how much you would "willingly pay"? If not then the contents of the post are simply anecdotal and easy to dismiss.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Graham, Regarding you comments on mine and others postings. I have provided NYCC full details of the Canterbury P & R aire, together with links to allow them, if they wish,to contact Kent CC to establish actual cash take of the aire and the benefits Kent gains.
In addition I have given detail of my own spend when away in our motorhome.
As a resident of North Yorkshire for many years I have found that giving detailed examples and suggestions to the Council Officers is always welcomed( but sadly always ignored)
I think life is too short to enter a debate with you over differences of "confidentiality clauses" and my words "commit an offence"
I am sure many of us will continue to help the Council see the benefits to the County of becoming Motorhome Friendly.:thumb:
Cheers
Bernie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back