Black tank versus cassette (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we had caravanned for years, progressing from porta potties to cassettes, now have a Hymer with black tank approx. volume 120 litres

result we, (I) thought, far less emptying, although in fairness Bev does her share (both filling and emptying!!)

However, emptying a black tank is not always a given

We have found many sites with only a standard elsan type raised ceramic hole in the ground, not much use when you depend on gravity from an outlet only 6" off the floor!!

So, having purchased a builders bucket, and used it a few times to decant a few litres to turn off the red light, carrying it open topped and smelling to the elsan point to avoid moving, or where there was no option to dump, walking in fear of the handle giving way on a CC site roadway:Eeek: what would the wardens make of that:Eeek:

I now own a cassette, to empty my black tank into to move in a more controlled fashion to the elsan point

Progress.................... ??

Better spec................ ??

Who knows

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
find the sewer on the road on the site if not get your self a masecater and a smale pump best
regard lez dawson :ROFLMAO:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi David

You nearly have a proper motorhome now:ROFLMAO:

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i would have the tank converted to a 3" valterra outlet and use a macerator.

Pump up to around 100ft and to a height of around 10ft through a 5/8th garden hose.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
i would have the tank converted to a 3" valterra outlet and use a macerator.

Pump up to around 100ft and to a height of around 10ft through a 5/8th garden hose.

At last a proper answer, but I am none the wiser yet

We have a macerator on the inlet to the tank, how easy is it to fit (have fitted) these outlet mods?

TERRY what do you reckon :thumb:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

We have a macerator on the inlet to the tank, how easy is it to fit (have fitted) these outlet mods?

you must have small bore pipework between pan and tank to need a macerator on the inlet.

I guess a it depends on the tank orientation as the 3"outlet is a little bulky to say the least.....but there will be a way.

With a bit more work you could connect the grey tank via 1 3/4" sink waste pipe to the same outlet.

The tank would need a suitable hole cutting to take the 3" pipework, a blade valve is then fitted in an accessible place then the macerator connects to the outlet.

Open the blade valve and turn on the macerator....making certain all connections are sound, black waste under pressure goes a long way if it leaks.
See Robin Williams in the film 'RV'
It would also allow gravity dumping over a manhole via a 3" hose.
I have a 20ft hose for remote manholes and a 3ft hose for drive over manholes.
I dont recall ever having to use the 20ft one.

Link to an example slide valve....they are cheaper (postage) in the uk

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
you must have small bore pipework between pan and tank to need a macerator on the inlet.

I guess a it depends on the tank orientation as the 3"outlet is a little bulky to say the least.....but there will be a way.

With a bit more work you could connect the grey tank via 1 3/4" sink waste pipe to the same outlet.

The tank would need a suitable hole cutting to take the 3" pipework, a blade valve is then fitted in an accessible place then the macerator connects to the outlet.

Open the blade valve and turn on the macerator....making certain all connections are sound, black waste under pressure goes a long way if it leaks.
See Robin Williams in the film 'RV'
It would also allow gravity dumping over a manhole via a 3" hose.
I have a 20ft hose for remote manholes and a 3ft hose for drive over manholes.
I dont recall ever having to use the 20ft one.

Link to an example slide valve....they are cheaper (postage) in the uk

Broken Link Removed

Many thanks, I am increasingly convinced my MH was a total prototype, we have a toilet that I thought for 6 months was a 'bog' :ROFLMAO: standard ceramic toilet, it is actually plastic, but 'stuff' goes out the back through approx. 2" horizontal outlet hole, through a macerator which looks more like 3" back into a 1.5" pipe down to black tank

I think my back up cassette option will have to do for now :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many thanks, I am increasingly convinced my MH was a total prototype, we have a toilet that I thought for 6 months was a 'bog' :ROFLMAO: standard ceramic toilet, it is actually plastic, but 'stuff' goes out the back through approx. 2" horizontal outlet hole, through a macerator which looks more like 3" back into a 1.5" pipe down to black tank

I think my back up cassette option will have to do for now :thumb:

that sounds very much like a marine toilet.

Agreed, the cassette is by far the cheapest option

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
That is a toilet cassette with a springloaded trap for filling probably too tall to go under your van.
A Tote is made to go under caravans etc and has a screw top entry point.
I was thinking something more like this
Broken Link Removed
might be something better out there of course.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
That is a toilet cassette with a springloaded trap for filling probably too tall to go under your van.
A Tote is made to go under caravans etc and has a screw top entry point.
I was thinking something more like this
Broken Link Removed
might be something better out there of course.

I was going to buy one of those, having given 2 away when I sold caravan:Doh:

Decided I could not cope with knowitalls telling me I was emptying grey water in wrong place, when dumping toilet waste in elsans!!

On a much nicer subject just seen photos of your place, brace yourself we are coming soon :thumb:::bigsmile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

I think you should give me that van and buy yourself another :thumb: after all it's full of shit :winky:
I would go to a garden center/fish pond place and buy some hose that fits your outlet and simply make a connection so that you can screw it onto your outlet ---On my van the grey is emptied via a quarter turn 3/4 ins ball valve that I simply made a 8 ft ish long bit of hose so that I can extend by screwing it onto the valve --Nothing to stop you doing the same with the black tank obviously you need bigger than 3/4 ins,but it is a easy job once you have the correct parts --You have enough room in the garage to store a very very long extension pipe -Should have mentioned it/ made clear at the fix it meet :winky:
You need something like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/full-bore-lever-ball-valve-22mm/30584 but bigger bore to suit your outlet and some pipe /hose type to extend it
Because mine is 3/4 I simply got about 3 ins of copper pipe fitted the outlet end and shoved it into a 3/4 ins hose - now it's a case of simply screwing it onto the valve and this gives me enough length to go from my outlet at the back to the side when needed :thumb:-You need similar only bigger bore
terry
edit forgot to say you could also get another valve to fit your grey that way you can empty the black and then move it onto the grey to flush your pipe

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi David been thinking about this and you already have valves fitted so it's really a case of extending your dump pipes --Measure the external dia of pipe and look at garden cent/fish pond or ebay for a flexible pipe with internal dia of your external dia then it's just a case of pushing the pipe on :thumb:--You must be able to go a few weeks before having to up sticks and go and dump :winky::Smile:
terry

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David been thinking about this and you already have valves fitted so it's really a case of extending your dump pipes --Measure the external dia of pipe and look at garden cent/fish pond or ebay for a flexible pipe with internal dia of your external dia then it's just a case of pushing the pipe on :thumb:--You must be able to go a few weeks before having to up sticks and go and dump :winky::Smile:
terry

Thanks Terry

Problem is when the dump point is too high for the gravity outlet, I already have 4m hose in a side locker, just need it to go uphill!! some small sites especially don't have ground level dumps, worst ones are the standard elsan points

Black tank is not that big, we get red light on after three nights, I think 100 litres or so

:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks Terry

Problem is when the dump point is too high for the gravity outlet, I already have 4m hose in a side locker, just need it to go uphill!! some small sites especially don't have ground level dumps, worst ones are the standard elsan points

Black tank is not that big, we get red light on after three nights, I think 100 litres or so

:thumb:
Hi David I think your tanks well above any elsan point /gravity will force it up and over the emptying edge it's only what's left in the lower part of the pipe,pull it off and hold it high :Eeek:::bigsmile:
Only 3 nights :Eeek: you probably have the best solution now then :thumb:
terry

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Go on David, just change your van...you know you want too:roflmto:

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
David,

I think (if not already mentioned before) you need this....

Broken Link Removed

And a set of crocodile clips to connect to your leisure battery and some hose for the discharge and some more (with the correct reducer / enlarger adaptor) for connecting to your MH.

That'll easily shift your load uphill. I think the head is around 3 metres.

You can buy RV macerator pump sets. That's what I bought for Udo, but admittedly with the 3" connection that Udo has. I'm sure you could find a pump kit that works for your Hymer.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David,

I think (if not already mentioned before) you need this....

Broken Link Removed

And a set of crocodile clips to connect to your leisure battery and some hose for the discharge and some more (with the correct reducer / enlarger adaptor) for connecting to your MH.

That'll easily shift your load uphill. I think the head is around 3 metres.

You can buy RV macerator pump sets. That's what I bought for Udo, but admittedly with the 3" connection that Udo has. I'm sure you could find a pump kit that works for your Hymer.

Now that looks like an option, just have to hope the pipe does not jump up when pump starts, I reckon it could send it a few feet:Eeek:

Many thanks for that link, we have a 12V socket in the garage where the dump valve is already

David

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Happy bowl liners. Won't help with your emptying issues but further to my demo at Chester, soaringman bought some and said it had "transformed their motor homing experience".

Go on David, resistance is futile. Still the best thing in my van!

Deleted User
Can't see why you would need to alter the outlet on your black tank in order to use a macerator. The inlet on my macerator is around 2in dia and I had to use an adaptor from the 3in outlet on the 5'er to use it.The outlet is smaller and the only place I could find the right diameter was from a garden pond supplier.

I normally use a system similar to yours but using an old aquaroll as my outlet is high enough to use this via the same pipe adaptor.

I no longer use the macerator and would sell it cheaply, little used, but it is with the 5'er in Portugal and I will not be returning there until November.

http://www.jabscoshop.com/marine/marine-toilets/toilet-waste-pumps/18590-2092-macerator-pump.htm

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Can't see why you would need to alter the outlet on your black tank in order to use a macerator. The inlet on my macerator is around 2in dia and I had to use an adaptor from the 3in outlet on the 5'er to use it.The outlet is smaller and the only place I could find the right diameter was from a garden pond supplier.

I normally use a system similar to yours but using an old aquaroll as my outlet is high enough to use this via the same pipe adaptor.

I no longer use the macerator and would sell it cheaply, little used, but it is with the 5'er in Portugal and I will not be returning there until November.

http://www.jabscoshop.com/marine/marine-toilets/toilet-waste-pumps/18590-2092-macerator-pump.htm

As those that have met me so far know and will testify I don't do technical, in fact I barely do.

The macerator pump idea sounds good, but I am most likely to stick with a wheeled cassette when needed to empty some black waste when needed

Thanks

David

Deleted User
As those that have met me so far know and will testify I don't do technical, in fact I barely do.

The macerator pump idea sounds good, but I am most likely to stick with a wheeled cassette when needed to empty some black waste when needed

Thanks

David

I would agree, if it works for you why go to the bother and expense of using a macerator.

We only got ours as we intended leaving the 5'er permanently on a site near Portimao that had a form of waste disposal via a manhole but thing's didn't work out.

The 5'er is now permanently sited near Tavira and I now use the aquaroll for emptying but try and use the site facilities mainly.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
120 litre black tank? I'd say only stay on sites in Germany with a drive over grid built for German motorhomes with a black waste tank.

That way you'll have the ideal set-up :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back