OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have heard a few times, and not believed, stories about people being gassed in their motorhomes or caravans and then robbed. So I thought I would do some research, as I am sure the topic has been done to death on forums like this one. So I have done some research:

Magazine articles discussing it: hundreds
Forum Threads multiple forums: even more hundreds
Gas Alarm Manufacturers: Dozens
News articles about attacks: Zero.

Not 1 single news article about people being gassed and robbed in their motorhome or caravan. I searched news sites, the BBC, Google News, Yahoo, Sky, Huffington Post, RT, and every other combination of search phrase on every site I could possible think of. Not one single news report from any agency that I can find in the UK, or indeed Europe.

Not one news report on the entire internet of a gassing and robery in a motorhome or caravan.

Don't think I will worry about this urban myth any longer! lol :Doh::Doh::Doh:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
It does happen!! My wife was badly gassed when sleeping in the MH. :cry:

We put it down to the double egg, beans and SPAM she gave me for tea. :Doh::winky:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
do actually remember reading an article in either the CCC or CC magazine about but cant remember which one it was. It was by a member who wrote in about "actually being gassed" Like you I do not believe the myth BUT we were planning a trip to France at the time and the boss said "see I told you it is true so we are not going "
Still trying to talk her round

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
look for the report by the royal college of anaesthesiology about the feasibility or possibility of gassing. not just a myth total and utter crap. if this mythical gas could do as suggested it would revolutionise surgery. after all nobody has ever died of being gassed in a motorhome, unlike the pioneers of surgery

the quantity of ether needed to incapacitate the average person is a pretty high quantity in parts per million of ambient air. long before this the natural gagging reflex will wake you up. how do i know this? well lets just say I have had to learn a lot about how I breathe due to a medical condition. I need extra oxygen when i sleep and terrify any anaesthetist if i go in for operations due to high risk of stopping breathing resulting in brain damage

believe me, there is no such thing as robbers gassing unsuspecting travellers without killing plenty. gas alarms for other gasses though are really a lifesaver. hydrogen rich gas from bad batteries and lpg leaks are explosive and carbon monoxide, well we all know that is deadly

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
More likely the truth is:
Motorhomers get pissed / smacked off their tits, gone to sleep / passed out without locking the doors. Opportunist thief helps themselves to contents of said motorhome.
Motorhomists don't want to admit the truth the plod / insurance, so roll out the usual "we must have been gassed" story.

Or, like us, they have a greyhound - who gasses us most nights

URL]

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Related: Are those Gas alarms (For CO, LPG etc) any use? Recommend one?

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Related: Are those Gas alarms (For CO, LPG etc) any use? Recommend one?

CO and smoke alarms are seen by many as a must.
Myself included.

I have seen on the market alarms which are supposed to be smoke / CO combined.
Two different functions combined??
Don't think so.

Decent separate smoke and CO alarms have it covered.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Just had this conversation with a couple in portugal.
Me "Yes but have you ever experienced it first hand?"
Them "yes the people we spoke to were knocked out by gas"
Me "have YOU experienced it?"
Them "yes, they really were gassed!"

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yup and they stick smoke detectors far too high up in the van to be any use to you in a CO2 situation. CO2 sinks and smoke rises!

So if you are sleeping at normal bed level and not in an extra high Luton with it's own means of escape, you'd most likely be near enough dead if not completely defunct, by the time a high-up alarm went off.

Madness.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have got an anti Romanian alarm fitted to mine.

You can't be too careful:thumb:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yup and they stick smoke detectors far too high up in the van to be any use to you in a CO2 situation. CO2 sinks and smoke rises!

So if you are sleeping at normal bed level and not in an extra high Luton with it's own means of escape, you'd most likely be near enough dead if not completely defunct, by the time a high-up alarm went off.

Madness.

Smoke detectors don't detect the CO2, though. There are many different types and the common ones as fitted to most MHs work (I think) on ionisation principles and detect smoke which does rise with the heat. I would not be without either a CO alarm or smoke detector.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
look for the report by the royal college of anaesthesiology about the feasibility or possibility of gassing.

it's on the Fun magazine ..

Broken Link Removed

A statement from The Royal College of Anaesthetists about Motorhome owners being gassed then robbed.

Despite the increasing numbers of reports of people being gassed in motor-homes or commercial trucks in France, and the warning put out by the Foreign Office for travellers to be aware of this danger, this College remains of the view that this is a myth. It is the view of the College that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious by blowing ether, chloroform or any of the currently used volatile anaesthetic agents, through the window of a motor-home without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time. Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a relatively weak anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant affect on the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It takes some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct application to the face on a cloth, and the concentration needed by some sort of spray administered directly into a room would be enormous. The smell hangs around for days and would be obvious to anyone the next day. Even the more powerful modern volatile agents would need to be delivered in tankerloads of carrier gas or by a large compressor. Potential agents, such as the one used by the Russians in the Moscow siege are few in number and difficult to obtain. Moreover, these drugs would be too expensive for the average thief to use. The other important point to remember is that general anaesthetics are potentially very dangerous, which is why they are only administered in the UK by doctors who have undergone many years of postgraduate training in the subject and who remain with the unconscious patient throughout the anaesthetic. Unsupervised patients are likely to die from obstruction of the airway by their tongues falling back. In the Moscow seige approximately 20% of the people died, many probably from airway obstruction directly related to the agent used. If there was a totally safe, odourless, potent, cheap anaesthetic agent available to thieves for this purpose it is likely the medical profession would know about it and be investigating its use in anaesthetic practice.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have got an anti Romanian alarm fitted to mine.

You can't be too careful:thumb:

Is that the alarm with a trip switch and a very loud speaker that screams "Ai un interviu de angajare!" if they break in, making them run away? :whatthe:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It does happen!! My wife was badly gassed when sleeping in the MH. :cry:

We put it down to the double egg, beans and SPAM she gave me for tea. :Doh::winky:

Wow you really know how to dine well don't you ... forget spam ... it has be bacon grill!!! ::bigsmile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks Jim, knew the article was here someplace but forgot to look in the magazine pages:thumb:

@Tootles.....job interview indeed:ROFLMAO: doubt they have ever heard of such a thing in Romania

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Wow you really know how to dine well don't you ... forget spam ... it has be bacon grill!!! ::bigsmile:

I have always enjoyed simple food, cooked at home on a simple grate, by a simple woman. ::bigsmile::winky:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Madness.

Please follow the manufacturer's recommendations which will come with the device.. CO detectors should be placed high up if the potential threat is in the same room, which it is in a MH. Fit two to be doubly sure if you want, one high one low. They cost peanuts. Link Removed

Last edited:

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Gassing

I do beleive its unlikley to happen, but we have the smoke and carbon monoxide alarms fitted in case there is a fault with the cooker / boiler or batteries, more importantly we have the Thacham cat 1 alarm which protects the external doors etc when we are asleep and sounds a very loud alarm to scare off any intruders, but the main thing is to never leave valuables on show for the oppotunist scumbag to steal them.

All you can do is try to deter them, gone are the days of shooting intruders and dumping them in the Biffa bins :ROFLMAO:

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Now you tell me! I suppose I'll have to start taking them to the local tip myself. Problems, always problems.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Maybe not a good solution, but we had to take our smoke alarm down as it would go off if you merely boiled the kettle, never mind making toast :Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Maybe not a good solution, but we had to take our smoke alarm down as it would go off if you merely boiled the kettle, never mind making toast :Sad:

It's the wrong type of smoke alarm..

Fit an Ionisation Smoke Alarm, rather than the optical type that not only detect smoke but also water vapour (commonly called steam, but it isn't)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i appreciate that there is the possibility some people are confused about the two chemical formulae CO (carbon monoxide) and CO2 (carbon dioxide) but this is an important safety issue

if you search for a CO2 detector, youre not going to find the correct info or the multitude of detectors you really need. I have a CO2 alarm built into my medical equipment, which samples air quality and oxygen in my lungs. CO2 wont set of a CO detector as far as I am aware

Broken Link Removed

mcflipflop

Free Member
May 11, 2014
Looe
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2007
mcflipflop

I've done many thousands of K's all over Europe driving trucks, this has been an urban myth for as long as I can remember and that's before Europe became united.
So, don't believe all you read on the internet, get on and enjoy Europe but same as the U.K. be careful where you park, try to park in company with others, don't look for problems where there aren't any, just get on with it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back