Gasit or Gaslow advice required (1 Viewer)

Cookiedoodle

Free Member
May 3, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie since May 2014
Morning all

I ran out of gas at the weekend. Not a big deal as we weren't staying far from home but I'm looking to get a refillable system. Are they easy to install. I have a Rollerteam Autoroller 700 on an 07 plate if that helps anyone and I have a red Calor tank in there at the moment.

I only need 1 x 11kg bottle but is it also possible to have a feed for a portable gas barbeque (thinking about a Cadac Safari but that a whole other conversation!!). I don't want to have a permanent bbq external point just something I can feed from the locker (is this even possible?). I have done lots of research and searching on the forum but want to be able to install this myself. How easy is it to do? Is the Gasit better as it has an external filling point. I am going to spend a couple of weeks in Europe and wanted to draw on the wealth of experience out there.

Thanks in advance guys.:thumb:

OP
OP
C

Cookiedoodle

Free Member
May 3, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie since May 2014
Ordinarily I would agree but I'm not going to pay someone the privilege of unscrewing one cylinder and putting a new one on if its as simple as that...also need the advice about the barbeque attachment...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ordinarily I would agree but I'm not going to pay someone the privilege of unscrewing one cylinder and putting a new one on if its as simple as that...also need the advice about the barbeque attachment...

It really is as simple as that. Plenty threads on here on the subject, gasit and gaslow are the same thing but I think you will find gasit considerably cheaper. If you have room for two but only need one why not get a small cylinder just for your cadac, then you have no need for other pipes and stuff and you can set it up where you like , even in your garden completely separate from your mh.:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cookiedoodle

Free Member
May 3, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie since May 2014
I had thought about the separate cylinder option but I was going to store the barbeque in the locker utilising the space left by the removal of the second cylinder...

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I had thought about the separate cylinder option but I was going to store the barbeque in the locker utilising the space left by the removal of the second cylinder...

A small cadac doesn't take much room when un assembled probably room for both:thumb:

Upvote 0

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Experts

Fer chrisake its a combustible substance !! Leave it to the experts or you could be in orbit !!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Did all my gas pipes at home when I installed the kitchen except the gas hob which I had "expertly" fitted. When I returned home from work I could smell gas, Guess where the leak was comming from? I'll give you a clue, it wasn't my work ! Gas safe :Eeek:
Just installed gasit to my motorhome and it was very straight forward with in locker fill point. Tapped into gas pipe beneath vehicle and installed bbq point, gasit even provided free leak detection spray:Smile:

Lee.

Upvote 0

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
did my own took 2 hours, 1, of them finding the hole cutter:Smile:

cant help with barby,

Upvote 0

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Fitted one 11kg gaslow at the weekend, took about and hour the hardest bit was finding longer screws for the cap housing, they supply 3 lengths of screw, all were too short :Angry:. Already got a Bullfinch external socket fitted great bit of kit for the cadac.

Paul

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2012
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
I installed my Gaslow system. It is just joining flexi steel hoses as connecting your Calor cylinder. When i advised the insurance co they made the same comment when I offered a test certificate. The external filler was difficult to site so I fixed it immediately inside the locker door using the Gaslow bracket. To date have not had anyone refuse me filling. Make sure you have some leak detector to hand when you first fill. Just in case!
As others have suggested I have found it more convenient to have small self sealing gas cylinders for the Cadac.

Upvote 0

LostOZ1

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Doncaster, South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Coach built
Exp
Im a newbie
Gasit

At the Newbury show there was a gasit installer there, and in his kits he supplies a can of gas leak detector.

We have one Calor and one gasit, and the filler is on side the door. But I have read that in France some places will not let you open the door to fill. Both have external filler points.

I filled mine the other day at a shell garage, and it was under £9 and the Calor was £30 at my local hardware shop.

I will be fitting another 11kg bottle soon. There is also kits to mount the bottle under the vehicle, (not same bottles as the ones in the locker) which I may end up going for. And then this would give me another storage space.

Anyone know the link to a perm external gas connector, for an external BBQ?

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
fitted a gasit but it leaked at first (seems ok now just needed nipping up) they were very helpful on the phone fill point in the locker no problem at our local garage where I will probably always fill it. Also have a cadac decided against the BB point too complicated /would require drilling our new m/h etc so just have a separate cyl. Cadac do small ones and sell a regulator/hose bet you would have to use a cadac for years to make it pay. Can't see the point in more than 1 clinder unless you use loads of gas as they have a gague and the whole point with refillables is you can top up without losisng whats left in the old cyl (we have diesel heating anyway)

David

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Go gas it

I have just installed two gas it systems. One 11KG and filler etc,( £ 224) and a far more comprehensive twin cylinder system, 11 KG + 7 KG + filler,( £325) It is easy as pie for a good DIY er, and I had no leaks and no problems.
Gas it stuff is the same as Gas low and waaaaay cheaper.
Go for it, and save a fortune.
Phil

Upvote 0

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
At the Newbury show there was a gasit installer there, and in his kits he supplies a can of gas leak detector.

We have one Calor and one gasit, and the filler is on side the door. But I have read that in France some places will not let you open the door to fill. Both have external filler points.

I filled mine the other day at a shell garage, and it was under £9 and the Calor was £30 at my local hardware shop.

I will be fitting another 11kg bottle soon. There is also kits to mount the bottle under the vehicle, (not same bottles as the ones in the locker) which I may end up going for. And then this would give me another storage space.

[HI]Anyone know the link to a perm external gas connector, for an external BBQ?[/[/HI]QUOTE]

This is a link to the type we've got.
Broken Link Removed

Paul

Upvote 0

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
I got the gaslow s/s hoses
0.45m 21.8LH HP Hose - Stainless Steel
Short Filling Kit - White 0.6m Fill Hose
Gaslow Refillable R67 No1 - 11Kg With Gauge
Elbow Right Angled 21.8 LH adapter M/F
all the above cost me £271.85 delivered.

[HI]BUT[/HI] got the foreign adaptors from Gasit set of 3 for £27.02 delivered which I found to be the cheapest deal. Possibly won't need them but sods law says if we haven't got em...........:winky:

As others have said it's straightforward to connect the hoses, just do a leak test when you first fill.

Paul

Upvote 0

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
We have just had Alugas expertly fitted by Dave Newell who did a fantastic job and would highly recommend
We couldn't have a skirt adaptor fitting due to m/h configuration so have got our filler inside the gas locker , BUT - have all the correct paperwork to demonstrate its safety and compliance - worth considering
Another note we were going to have Gas low until we weighed our new van and despite a huge payload we are only 200kg spare - therefore we went for alugas as every kg counts - small bottles are available!

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
fitting a refillable cylinder is as simple as changing a calor one. plus drilling a hole and doing up a few screws and nuts

fitting a bbq point in the locker is just as simple. you need a valve and a quick disconnect coupler. heres a kit on ebay showing the parts you will need
Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a single 11kg Gaslow bottle with in-locker fill point, this is the 3rd MH/camper I've fitted it in now, easy peasy lemon squeezy to do! :thumb:

We've had the system now since 2009 and have NEVER been refused permission to fill it anywhere including UK, France, Germany, Ireland. Indeed we've often had the fuel station attendants offer to do it for us! ::bigsmile:

Note that if you intend to store other items in your gas locker along with your gas bottle(s) you MUST ensure that the gas drop-out vents are kept clear and that there is sufficient space (air gaps) around the items in there to allow any escaping gas to be able to travel down to exit out of them without being blocked. Below is a picture of our current installation - the items in the locker had been moved around so they look 'messier' than they are normally.

Attachments

• 16 - Gas locker.JPG
    16 - Gas locker.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 0

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I got the gaslow s/s hoses
0.45m 21.8LH HP Hose - Stainless Steel
Short Filling Kit - White 0.6m Fill Hose
Gaslow Refillable R67 No1 - 11Kg With Gauge
Elbow Right Angled 21.8 LH adapter M/F
all the above cost me £271.85 delivered.

[HI]BUT[/HI] got the foreign adaptors from Gasit set of 3 for £27.02 delivered which I found to be the cheapest deal.

As others have said it's straightforward to connect the hoses, just do a leak test when you first fill.

Paul

Possibly won't need them but sods law says if we haven't got em...........:winky: Well, we needed them in SPAIN :Smile:

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt autoroller 700
Exp
on and off 20 years
Hi I've got an autoroller700 and have fitted myself two gasit 6kg cylinders plus a bbq point inside the locker.

I wouldn't class myself brilliant at diy but if you take your time and double check everything you should be ok. I had mine tested after I had fitted it to ensure there were no leaks from the connections.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
It really is quite simple and the only technical part is drilling a hole in your van, as the gas bottle fitting is just the same as screwing up a removable one.

Here is a pic of mine I have since added a BBQ point.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
We have just had Alugas expertly fitted by Dave Newell who did a fantastic job and would highly recommend.

Same here and also very highly recommended.

Dave put a very neat BBQ connection inside Udo's gas locker and fitted an equally neat external fill point.

The labour cost was outweighed by having a great day out at some of the local museums, for which Dave provides free tickets. Plus I had complete peace of mind about the work.:thumb:

Sure I could have done it myself... but me... with MY reputation...:Doh:::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cookiedoodle

Free Member
May 3, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie since May 2014
Hi I've got an autoroller700 and have fitted myself two gasit 6kg cylinders plus a bbq point inside the locker.

I wouldn't class myself brilliant at diy but if you take your time and double check everything you should be ok. I had mine tested after I had fitted it to ensure there were no leaks from the connections.

Hi Rich

Do you have any pictures you could send me just so I have it clear in my mind.

Cheers

Mat

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I fitted an 11Kg Gasit bottle myself and put the filler point inside the gas locker. That way if I ever sell the van it is nice and easy to take it out and put it in the new van. Bought and paid for it via Gasit's website at midday. It arrived the next morning at about 10ish and I had it fully fitted by about 1pm. The hardest bit was deciding just where I wanted the filler point in the gas locker. Otherwise very easy to fit.

The total bill came to £189, and that included a fitting so I could use my existing calor pigtail and 3 different filling adapters for continental touring. Much cheaper than the equivalent Gaslow system. In reality the bottles are identical and made in the same factory. The only difference is the colour of the paint.

I carry a 6Kg Calor bottle as a spare in case I run out somewhere too far away from a filling point, but it has never been used. So far I have filled up in England, Spain and France and have never had any problems doing so.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cookiedoodle

Free Member
May 3, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie since May 2014
So in the end I went for the Gasit system single 11kg cylinder with in locker filler. Got all the bits I need to install a bbq point in there too.

Thanks to everyone for their fantastic advice especially Richjg for the photos from his Autoroller 700.:thumb:

That's on my list of jobs for this weekend and hopefully it will be straightforward.:Eeek:

Upvote 0

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Just remember when filling for the first time, you have to press and hold the button on the pump. If you don't you won't get any gas and will stand there looking like a right twerp for ages :Blush: :Blush: :Blush:
So I'm told :Doh:

Cheers. Nige

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back