Creating PDF file in Windows 8.1 (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
New lappy, Windows 8.1, no Microsoft Office so using Open Office. Steep learning curves!

Yesterday I created a spreadsheet using Open Office and by doing some fiddling I managed to convert it to a PDF file to make emailing it easier.

Today I can't find how on earth I did it! PDF doesn't appear in the 'Save As' or 'Printer' options that I can see.

I'm pretty sure it was Windows that created it as whatever I pressed took me to a Windows-type screen. Sort of orange coloured with undecipherable symbol in the centre - there is the same icon alongside the file it's folder.

Any ideas how I did it?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Look for "Export as PDF" on the file menu.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If OpenOffice is working for you then no need to change but it has been superseded by LibreOffice. I can't remember what the reason was but the people who were developing OpenOffice decided instead of further development on it they would start again from scratch and thus LibreOffice was born.

http://www.libreoffice.org/

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
By default you should also have something installed as a printer call the "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" If you select this as your printer when you go to make a print you will have an option to save the file as a PDF or in various other formats instead of printing them.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
By default you should also have something installed as a printer call the "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" If you select this as your printer when you go to make a print you will have an option to save the file as a PDF or in various other formats instead of printing them.

On Windows 7 Microsoft XPS Document Writer you can only save as an .XPS doc. no other options.

Is this different on 8.1 ?

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
If OpenOffice is working for you then no need to change but it has been superseded by LibreOffice. I can't remember what the reason was but the people who were developing OpenOffice decided instead of further development on it they would start again from scratch and thus LibreOffice was born.

http://www.libreoffice.org/

OpenOffice is still being developed. I think a lot of the developers jumped ship when Oracle bought Sun (and gained OpenOffice in the process) and LibreOffice was then forked from OpenOffice.

I switched to LibreOffice because it has better support for all the operating systems I use.

On Windows 7 Microsoft XPS Document Writer you can only save as an .XPS doc. no other options.

I've been caught out by this - I have a few XPS documents I created that I'd like to convert to PDF but it appears I have to pay for a 3rd party utility. They're not important enough for me to bother.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back