Anyone recommend good free internet security pls? (1 Viewer)

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Our mcafee is about to expire and we have had great problems with it.

Anyone know of good internet security programs
anti virus
anti hacking etc

a good all rounder that doesnt cost or doesnt cost a fortune.

Our PC is old so we cant use norton and it always crashes with norton

Any advice greatly appreciated.

roverman1

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
leeds west yorks
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
anti virus

Our mcafee is about to expire and we have had great problems with it.

anti virus
anti hacking etc

a good all rounder that doesnt cost or doesnt cost a fortune.

Our PC is old so we cant use norton and it always crashes with norton

Any advice greatly appreciated.
i use a programme called avast its free and its the best ive found . go to google and type in avast.down load it and register .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
anti virus
Try Zone Alarm. I've used this now for about the past three or four years with no problems whatsoever. It does require a bit of learning and navigating around the programme once downloaded and you do have to be patient with it as it 'settles down'. Its certainly kept my pc virus free anyway!

You can get Zone Alarm here plus many other downloads.
Link Removed

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've used AVG anti-virus and Zone Alarm firewall for many years. Great thing about Zone Alarm is that it stops programs accessing the Internet & internal network without permission as well as blocking intrusion attempts.

Zone Alarm doesn't work with Vista but the Windows firewall in Vista ain't bad and we have a hardware firewall as well anyway.

We use Windows Defender to complement AVG as anti-spyware.

I've obtained copies of Norton on several occasions in the bundle when buying new PCs but have had all sorts of problems - so these days one of the first things I do with a new machine is to disable Norton (if there) at the same time as disabling Lookout Distress.

Graham

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I've used AVG Free, Windows Defender and Zone Alarm for years now.

Put it on our Residential customers machines.

Use Kasperski Internet security now as , as a Barclays customer, you get a free 3 PC Licence full edition.Works very well.:thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I use "Advast" for my virus protection, it is free but you have to download the program then go back to their web site and register it

Link Removed

I use "Spybot S&D" for spyware etc. protection, its free but you can donate if you want to,

The home of Spybot-S&D!

Hope that helps

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,

I use "Advast" for my virus protection, it is free but you have to download the program then go back to their web site and register it

Link Removed

I use "Spybot S&D" for spyware etc. protection, its free but you can donate if you want to,

The home of Spybot-S&D!

Hope that helps

Spybots good but "Teatimer" can swallow system resources on a low spec pc.:thumb:

It's normally well up there in the running processes list.

Reveuse

Free Member
Jul 19, 2008
Normandy
Funster No
Exp
since 1996
Never bothered about such things until I started having problems on my laptop (Toshiba). Took advice and downloaded AVG which sorted everything out pronto. Good stuff I thought and decided to download it onto the desktop too(eMachines), which up to then had shown no signs of problems. Whereupon desktop promptly started running slow and locking up and generally acting distraught :cry:. Took AVG off again, downloaded Avast! instead which someone else recommended, more problems, wished I hadn't started messing, tried Avira which nobody had recommended but like the others it is free. Finally it's happy with Avira ::bigsmile:. Don't know what the moral of this is except if your computer setup doesn't like one, try another (but make sure you completely uninstall one before downloading the next).

elliot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2007
Woking
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
one
Internet security FREE!! I wonder if that is what you get with these downloads or does your PC become just another server for them? At least with the high street brands you have the backup if your hard drive is destroyed. How can these free downloads keep up with all the activity concerning hard drive intrusions? They don’t have the resources.
I would stay on the side of caution because they won’t tell you if THEY have corrupted your hard drive, in my experience you never get anything in this world unless you pay for it. Please just be careful

elliot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2007
Woking
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
one
:thumb:we all so use avg never had any probs with it yet

Unfortunately as I said these free downloads will not tell you if they are using your PC as a server. The activity is always low level. It is not always crash bang and hard drive dead. It is possible to pass all types of information onto other PCs via your mail list for instance. The speed of the machine is hardly affected until the activity is increased and you notice a slow down in performance then it’s too late. For me it’s not worth the risk and the hassle and passing on unwanted guests to other PCs.
:Doh:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've used AVAST for years. Free download and just register (free) for a years updates. Just re-register at the end of the year for another years updates. It is compatible with the free Zone alarm firewall. There is a free spyware plug-in from Yahoo which seems pretty good too.:Cool:

M

mattsims

Deleted User
AVG Free edition does the job. The paid version is better - has more updates.
Trend software is highly recommended by my IT manager - we use it in our business. Its pretty unknown but is brilliant! I use Trend on my work laptop and AVG at home - Im stingy you see!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Unfortunately as I said these free downloads will not tell you if they are using your PC as a server. The activity is always low level. It is not always crash bang and hard drive dead. It is possible to pass all types of information onto other PCs via your mail list for instance. The speed of the machine is hardly affected until the activity is increased and you notice a slow down in performance then it’s too late. For me it’s not worth the risk and the hassle and passing on unwanted guests to other PCs.
:Doh:

It does pay to be choosy but the likes of Zone Alarm and AVG are well tested and researched by many PC magazines and wouldn't be recommended by respected writers and supplied on cover CDs if they posed a danger.
The free versions are marketing tools akin to loss leaders in supermarkets - the companies hope that enough users will be sufficiently impressed to spend money on the full versions and/or other of the companies' products.

Graham

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
After working for over 30 years in ICT the one security measure I do insist on is No Internet Banking :Eeek:

Graham

Hi Graham,

As a similar experience, I have never, personally, had any problems.

Mind You, Some of the client's machines I've worked on, I would never use for ANY on-line transactions.:Eeek:

As always, it pays to do the regular scans and be aware and respond immediately to any threats and warning messages.:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham,

As a similar experience, I have never, personally, had any problems.

Mind You, Some of the client's machines I've worked on, I would never use for ANY on-line transactions.:Eeek:

As always, it pays to do the regular scans and be aware and respond immediately to any threats and warning messages.:thumb:

Know what you mean ::bigsmile:

I know plenty of people have had no problems with Internet banking but I simply don't have sufficient trust in it.

We saw with Northern Rock last year that people who could only access their accounts via the Internet were unable to when the web site was overwhelmed - even though they just wanted to carry on with their normal banking.

The reality of the attitude of banks to security (rather than what they profess) was summed up for me by the misinformation put out when chip & pin was being introduced and by their encouragement of use of the so-called "security code" on the reverse of credit cards for telephone transactions.

Banks want their customers to use the means of access to accounts which costs the banks least - if the hits they take when security breaches occur cost them less than the savings they make by encouraging such changes then they will do it.

Only MHO of course ::bigsmile:

Graham

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Graham

I think they call it "Cost Benefit Analysis" and in most cases it makes sense, sometimes people try to build protection against things that actually costs more than the thing they are trying to protect themselves against

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Banks want their customers to use the means of access to accounts which costs the banks least - if the hits they take when security breaches occur cost them less than the savings they make by encouraging such changes then they will do it.

Only MHO of course ::bigsmile:

Graham

Yes,

All in the interest of cost-cutting by closing local branches and cutting back on staffing costs, and, of course, outsourcing all their support to India......

I totally agree.Aren't we a cynical lot?:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi, Graham

I think they call it "Cost Benefit Analysis" and in most cases it makes sense, sometimes people try to build protection against things that actually costs more than the thing they are trying to protect themselves against
I agree, in most cases it does make sense. In a contractual relationship, though, the costs and benefits must be balanced.

Trouble is with the bank models that the reduction in costs and the increase in benefits are one sided. When something goes wrong the customers may not suffer financial loss but they do suffer loss in other ways.

I recall a couple of years ago when the monthly salary payment of a member of my family was delayed because the paying bank decided it could save money by delaying processing. He had all sorts of problems because of direct debits leaving the account within the period between when he should have been paid and when the payment was actually cleared. He eventually received recompense from the bank which caused the problem for the financial losses he suffered but received no compensation for the wasted time and trouble he was caused sorting out other funds to cover the payments.

Graham

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
My choice of free PC security

I personally won't use Zonealarm or AVG anymore.
I use Comodo Pro and Avira Antivir, SpyBot S&D and Lavasoft AdAware. Also recommend CCleaner which is great for cleaning out unnecessary files and cookies etc.

Had problems with my Vista laptop when AVG went to 8 so I had to ditch it. The only grouse I have with Avira is the sales popup every time it updates.

Link Removed

According to this site Zonealarm Pro isn't rated very highly (I assume from this that the free one is equally poor) unlike Comodo Pro which is also free.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
<snip>
Had problems with my Vista laptop when AVG went to 8 so I had to ditch it. The only grouse I have with Avira is the sales popup every time it updates.
<snip>
Funny, I never had any problems on my Vista laptop. Maybe it's as Reveuse said earlier, that different implementations of operating systems interact differently with security software.

BTW, sorry to ourcampersbeentrashed for unintentionally hijacking the thread with talk of banks :Blush:

Graham

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
BTW, sorry to ourcampersbeentrashed for unintentionally hijacking the thread with talk of banks :Blush:

Graham

No apology required, everyone is just passing on useful information which is much appreciated.

Many thanks to everyone.

W

wurdsmiff

Deleted User
Zone Alarm & AVG

Like a lot of those above I have been using Zone Alarm and AVG on the various machines on my domestic network for many years - no problems so far. Of the 2 I prefer for Zone Alarm :thumb:

elliot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2007
Woking
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
one
I still find it hard to believe you guys would use second rate virus protection on your PCs!! It has to be second rate it's free. It cannot possibly keep up with all of the threats that are around. The updates are not at the same frequency as the branded versions, if at all. I would imagine the reason for not having any problems is it doesn’t do anything it just sits on your hard drive making occasional noises so it leads you into thinking all is ok:Eeek:. So please be careful, better still just spend 30 quid it will save tears in the end. :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back