LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Sad:Do you have problems going up steep hills?

I have the t680 and it is happening constantly... I dread going over the Derbyshire moors because if I don't have a good run up to a hill I know I am gonna be snookered.... I dread there being a car close behind me sometimes because I feel I may have to stop to go into first gear .. and doing a hill start is ridiculous in it .. I have to keep my foot on the break and rapidly put it on the accelerator to pull off as even the handbrake seems dodgy. It has passed it's Mot so everything must be ok.:Sad:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We have a T680 on a 3 litre Renault and it is a fantastic drive, would sit at 80 if I could afford the fuel :Smile: What engine does yours have ?
Check the rubber hoses coming from the air filter to the turbo then to the intercooler, if they have split or come off, you will lose a lot of power.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Surely this problem is the base vehicle and has nothing to do with Burstner (much as I might like to knock them)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks Brian, will do. You are only up the road arn't you. Even when I hill start in first gear on a really bad hill it is the same. The problem is that it doesn't happen a hundred percent of the time so it is frustrating. :Sad:

Re the:

Check the rubber hoses coming from the air filter to the turbo then to the intercooler, if they have split or come off, you will lose a lot of power.

I will take this as my Fix It Meet question for someone to show me these rubber hoses. Thank you.

:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Don't forget that your clutch is a great brake if your handbrake doesn't hold you on a hill start. Hand brake on, clutch in, first gear, release the clutch slowly until you can feel it wanting to go, hit the accelerator and then release handbrake and go.:thumb:

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Don't forget that your clutch is a great brake if your handbrake doesn't hold you on a hill start. Hand brake on, clutch in, first gear, release the clutch slowly until you can feel it wanting to go, hit the accelerator and then release handbrake and go.:thumb:

:roflmto:awwww Chris, you are so cute. Thank you. :thumb: but I have been driving since I was seventeen.... ... the problem is that it doesn't always hold the van and so I have to keep my right foot on the brake too (to avoid the van rolling back)... then quickly lift it off at the moment of bite on the clutch, and press the gas down heavy to make sure I go forward. . . .. even coming up the slope at Lady Heyes campsite I had to wait at the bottom of the slope till it was clear in front of me, then go at it quickly and just hope that when I got to the top the road was clear so I could keep going and turn onto it. I knew if I stopped I would start to roll back.

The prob is that next time I try the handbrake on a hill... it bloomin' works fine. And also, the next time I go up a hill I get up with no problem at all. It's the fact that it is intermittent that really annoys me..... :Sad:

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
No problem going up hills in mine, Burstner elegance I821 built on the fiat ducato, 3 litre 160 BHP fully loaded at 5 ton. Give me a shout if you want a tow up the hill. :thumb:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
No problem going up hills in mine, Burstner elegance I821 built on the fiat ducato, 3 litre 160 BHP fully loaded at 5 ton. Give me a shout if you want a tow up the hill. :thumb:

Joy only wants to know what is wrong with hers not what is good about others

I can't mend it Joy but will watch on with interest this weekend while the 'real' men mend it for you :Doh:

See you on Friday :thumb:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
:roflmto:awwww Chris, you are so cute. Thank you. :thumb: but I have been driving since I was seventeen.... ... the problem is that it doesn't always hold the van and so I have to keep my right foot on the brake too (to avoid the van rolling back)... then quickly lift it off at the moment of bite on the clutch, and press the gas down heavy to make sure I go forward. . . .. even coming up the slope at Lady Heyes campsite I had to wait at the bottom of the slope till it was clear in front of me, then go at it quickly and just hope that when I got to the top the road was clear so I could keep going and turn onto it. I knew if I stopped I would start to roll back.

The prob is that next time I try the handbrake on a hill... it bloomin' works fine. And also, the next time I go up a hill I get up with no problem at all. It's the fact that it is intermittent that really annoys me..... :Sad:

Is your van a female Joy? :thumb::Blush:

That would explain the inconsistency... (otherwise known as moods)... :hardhat::hardhat::hardhat: ::bigsmile::winky::RollEyes::Cool:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
So what if it is Howie? And how insulting are one or two replies, talking to Joy as if she's a simpleton. And yes I know you shouldn't start a sentence with 'And' but it just fits. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
So what if it is Howie? And how insulting are one or two replies, talking to Joy as if she's a simpleton. And yes I know you shouldn't start a sentence with 'And' but it just fits. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

To JOY: If I have inadvertently upset you with the feeble attempt at humour in my post, I humbly offer my apologies.

To you. How patronising that you think Joy is incapable of responding herself. You should also look at your signature...

To 'Fun': Goodbye...

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Hi joy we have very close to same outfit as you and when in moroco even overloaded I never had a problem with hills and even over mountain sections on high atlases never had to use first gear for anything other than setting off

So either some thing is wrong such as fuel or air filters
Or your driving style this I very much doubt as Elaine has only ever driven a car before the van and does not have much problem

Honestly our pulls very well even with trike on back this will mean us being about 4.4 tonne so get it checked over or are you going to bills fix it meet ?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have a Burstner T680 like you with the 3.0 engine and it flys up hills.

We've even pulled a 2 ton Burstner caravan with it, had to shift down a bit more, but could maintain 60 without any problems.

1039698_628197457201800_2015679682_o.jpg

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Joy only wants to know what is wrong with hers not what is good about others

I can't mend it Joy but will watch on with interest this weekend while the 'real' men mend it for you :Doh:

See you on Friday :thumb:

Oh so sorry I thought Joy asked do you have trouble going up hills. ::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sorry if my post came across as patronising:Blush:

It's just that my wife needed reminding of holding the van on the clutch on hill starts in the van. On really steep hill starts I don't even touch the foot brake if I can help it.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sorry if my post came across as patronising:Blush:

It's just that my wife needed reminding of holding the van on the clutch on hill starts in the van. On really steep hill starts I don't even touch the foot brake if I can help it.

No, Chris... and in a way you are right... My handbrake definitely needs looking at as I don't normally have to touch the brake either .... but the loss of power when driving up steep hills is really annoying and could be dangerous if something behind ... I feel the power draining and no amount of pressing on the gas will keep it going ... I will ask someone to point out the rubber tubes this weekend and see if they loose or cracked. :Smile:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
To JOY: If I have inadvertently upset you with the feeble attempt at humour in my post, I humbly offer my apologies.

To you. How patronising that you think Joy is incapable of responding herself. You should also look at your signature...

To 'Fun': Goodbye...[/QUOTE

I'm sorry Howie. I thought my smiley face showed it was said tongue in cheek. Maybe we need a tongue in cheek emoticon. I was just trying to get a rise out of the men. :Doh::Blush:::bigsmile:

Ivy

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009

To 'Fun': Goodbye...[/QUOTE

I'm sorry Howie. I thought my smiley face showed it was said tongue in cheek. Maybe we need a tongue in cheek emoticon. [HI]I was just trying to get a rise out of the men.[/HI] :Doh::Blush:::bigsmile:

Ivy

Far too late for that with the men on here... :Blush::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
No, Chris... and in a way you are right... My handbrake definitely needs looking at as I don't normally have to touch the brake either .... but the loss of power when driving up steep hills is really annoying and could be dangerous if something behind ... I feel the power draining and no amount of pressing on the gas will keep it going ... I will ask someone to point out the rubber tubes this weekend and see if they loose or cracked. :Smile:

Hopefully it is something small and easily fixed Joy.

On really steep hills my handbrake won't hold though and nor did it in my last van.

Where I used to store my van in Rochester there is a really steep hill with a halt sign at the top and my wife was stuck there with her feet on the brake pedal and unable to move. It's the time when 3 feet would be ideal::bigsmile:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009

On really steep hills my handbrake won't hold though and nor did it in my last van.

Where I used to store my van in Rochester there is a really steep hill with a halt sign at the top and my wife was stuck there with her feet on the brake pedal and unable to move. It's the time when 3 feet would be ideal::bigsmile:

That would be silly... :Doh:

Having a YARD in your van... :Blush:

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

That's it in a nutshell. Wow. I feel better now.. Maybe there is nothing wrong with my van ... and yes, I always think I WISH I HAD ANOTHER FOOT!!:thumb:

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Doh::Doh::Doh:when I clicked on submit and couldn't stop my finger, how did I know someone would say that ,,,,:Doh::Doh::Doh:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
:Doh::Doh::Doh:when I clicked on submit and couldn't stop my finger, how did I know someone would say that ,,,,:Doh::Doh::Doh:

There was me reading it all innocently and think Rolf Harris would have been OK until you explained it:Blush:

No Rolf Harris jokes please.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Joy

Back to your original post/problem.

What is your base vehicle.

When the problem happens for example pulling up hill can it sort itself out halfway or only after struggling over the top.

Has the base chassis been serviced recently.

Martin

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Martin, It is a Renault base.

From memory, I think it does sometimes clear itself halfway up... in fact ... again from memory as I do things automatically ... I think when I realise pressing on the accelerator isn't working, I lift my foot off it a bit and then gently press it again and sometimes it seems to sort of 'catch' for want of a better word...

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Joy,
Has anyone suggested a fuel additive?
Worth putting in with a full tank of fuel.
It helps clear out the gunge and crap that can build up in the engine.
Just a small bottle of stuff, Halfrauds or most filling stations.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back