Hymer S660 / S670 Series Wiring Diagram ~ desperate!! (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Just getting to sorting the problem with the mains charger and have found a problem around fuse #4

Pulled out the reams of manuals and papers that came with the Hymer and opened a photo copied instruction manual for the Hymer habitation section of the van, 'Hymer Operating Instructions' in English, fantastic.

I'm a bit slow to notice it all looks ok but a few differences were cropping up. An hour down the line and noticed at the bottom of the wiring diagram page Hymermobil 544. 555 Circuit Diagram, b..ger!

Any chance someone has an online wiring diagram for the S600 and S700 series from around 1992?

If you have and can email it I would be eternally grateful.

Trouble with using the diagram I have is maybe 70 - 80% is correct, but not being sure of the other 20-30% leaves me having to check in detail every circuit as I can't be sure which parts are the same as our S670.

Thanks

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
That's so helpful, thanks.

At a quick glance have seen 3 major differences to my manual including a different value for some of the fuses. You also have an extra relay fitted for the water pump, our original set-up doesn't have one at least not in the area of the habitation fuses.

So I guess that for us the exact wiring diagram will be from an S660/670 manual, but your copy is closer to our S670 than what I already have, thank you again.

Will take a peek at your blog later, but trying to get to the bottom of this before dark.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Will take a peek at your blog later, but trying to get to the bottom of this before dark.
As I said, the blog is fairly trivial, just a photo diary really.

As an observation, I am amazed how many variations the Hymer factory produced: Our S700 has an original Hymer second leisure battery wired in the base of the hanging cupboard, all with the correct odd reversed blue and brown wiring! So that wiring diagram does not work for us either! I'd really like to get the correct meter shunt so my charging meter works properly, I must calculate it one day ... then comes the challenge of installing it. :Eeek:

Hope you get it all sorted.
Cheers

Last edited:
OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years

As an observation, I am amazed how many variations the Hymer factory produced: Our S700 has an original Hymer second leisure battery wired in the base of the hanging cupboard, all with the correct odd reversed blue and brown wiring! So that wiring diagram does not work for us either! [HI]I'd really like to get the correct meter shunt so my charging meter works properly, I must calculate it one day ... [/HI]then comes the challenge of installing it. :Eeek:

Cheers

The shunt between fuse 6 & 7 cables is fitted to our S670. It's a solid piece of copper wire I think soldered to ring terminals. If this is the original and it could well be with only 43,000 documented miles on the clock, would you like a photo of it and the diameter with approximate length?
Our meters work about how they should so obviously it's currently a working setup.

It's starting to look as though our wiring is a cross between 70% your setup and 30% the 544 & 555.

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Diameter and length would be great, and I can experiment. I always thought it was hidden at the back of the dashboard and hard to get to, but I'll take another look. Thanks for the help, our meter slams from one end to another sometimes beacuse of this, I think it just got replaced by a link.

Ours has only done 90K kilometers and is fairly original, they do hold together very well. I always thought the light in the rear locker did not work, until it was pointed out to me that it only worked when the sidelights were on. It's that sort of useless information that saves a lot of work and fiddling!

Cheers

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

As an observation, I am amazed how many variations the Hymer factory produced: Our S700 has an original Hymer second leisure battery wired in the base of the hanging cupboard, all with the correct odd reversed blue and brown wiring! So that wiring diagram does not work for us either! I'd really like to get the correct meter shunt so my charging meter works properly, I must calculate it one day ... then comes the challenge of installing it. :Eeek:

Cheers

This seems to be a recurring problem with the S series 1992 Hymers. I have also had the problem and ordered a new shunt from Hymer through Kimberly Caravans in Darlington.

It is out of stock at the factory and I was told it would take about 5 weeks for delivery. Cost £66.

If you PM me with an email address and I can let you have pictures. I don't use an online storage so the system on here will not allow me to upload photos directly from my computer.

The shunt is at the back if the fuse box housing (left of drivers seat) which also contains the split charge and fridge relays. Take care removing this as it is a tight fit but comes out with some jiggling.

My meter started playing up and then all of the power started to fail. We put up with this until the water heater refused to function.

I removed the fuse and it was showing 8.5v on the powered side the battery was showing 13.5v. I bypassed the fuse box and ran direct from the battery (to a point above the sink cooker). Then I checked each side of the fuse then it was still showing 8.5v on the input and the output terminal was reading 13.5v. so I left that fuse out.

I have also been advised that the problem could also be a fine crack in the metal plated that join the top 4 fuses.

We have run like this for the past 6 months full timing both in the UK and abroad.

The wiring diagram is only a schematic and is very small print in the handbook.

The relay for the water pump is in the block of wires by the mains power supply and water heater enclosure at the back of the Hymer S700. In my van this has been removed and replaced by a fuse instead.

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Originally Posted by cbrookson
Diameter and length would be great, and I can experiment. I always thought it was hidden at the back of the dashboard and hard to get to, but I'll take another look. Thanks for the help, our meter slams from one end to another sometimes beacuse of this, I think it just got replaced by a link.

Hope I have this right, the shunt/link I have seen is at the rear of the fuse box assembly where the habitation cables are routed into a group of connector poles. This fuse box is between the pedals and the LH side panel by the driver's door.

Will be at the MH this afternoon and I'll photo what is there.

Originally Posted by John & Joan Link Removed
The relay for the water pump is in the block of wires by the mains power supply and water heater enclosure at the back of the Hymer S700. In my van this has been removed and replaced by a fuse instead.

Our water pump is powered directly by fuse #1 with no relay. Fuse to on/off switch to pump, just the same as the diagram for the 544/555.

Our charger problem is resolved. We still have the original Schaudt charger which requires an extra volt sensor cable to monitor battery voltage. This sensor cable has an inline fuse (sits directly on top of the battery) which was partially corroded, voltage to charger was reduced and charger just gave maximum output constantly.

A while ago did buy a NEW Schaudt updated version to replace the original charger, this one doesn't require a sensor cable. But this new charger failed immediately for reasons unknown (free to a good home) at which point I investigated and found the corroded fuse connection and guessed the original charger would work ok if a good sensor connection was made. And so it turned out to be, a good simple result. I think the old charger will be changed for a modern intelligent charger in the near future, several recommendations on this forum already so that's coming soon.

We have also lost the 12v fridge power therefore while looking at the charger problem decided to remove the Hab fuse box. In excellent condition for 22 years old it has light dirt and surface corrosion, so I'll clean that and the fuse holders while I'm at it and check out the fridge 12v relay (didn't even know it was there until taking the fuse box out).

Thanks for the help

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Yes, we just have had a normal charger now - seems easier and cheaper :thumb:

Been a really useful thread, thanks to John for the PM and Email about the shunt. Will tackle it when I've finished the other 1001 jobs!

I have added some other stuff to the blog that I have, including the 1992 Hymer catalogue showing all the models. Thanks to a fellow funster for that, I've kept it anonyomous, but happy to add a credit of you wish.

Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back