Eurotunnel prices (1 Viewer)

Sep 30, 2012
Frampton, West Dorset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi all,

Going for the first time in MH to France in September and we're using the Tunnel. Just wondering, in your experience, does the price change much when booking? Is it ok to leave it till later in the year or will it get more expensive? We've always travelled by ferry in the past and it used to be cheaper if we left it to the last minute!

Thanks in advance ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I think the fares are generally lower if you book early for the tunnel, and increase as the crossing date draws nearer. However, in our experience it's not a huge increase.

And one of the advantages of travelling with a motorhome is that it's easy to select an off-peak time of day to travel eg mid-evening, for example. Then just park up for the night on the other side - either at a nearby aire or at Cite de Europe, next to the Calais terminal.

Mike

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We're booked up g or the tunnel in September. We only really use the late night crossings so the prices stay lowish for our mh+trailer..
If you want to save money use the tescos voucher method (in case you were unaware)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sticky130
Sep 30, 2012
Frampton, West Dorset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We've saved enough vouchers to pay for both ways :thumb:

We weighed up the pro's and con's of paying much much more for a closer ferry crossing against fuel costs and it still comes up cheaper using the tunnel, and we get to stay with the dog. Just trying to find ways of being more efficient with our funds!!

Looks like from what people has said price doesn't change much and go late at night.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
When we went to Spain this March we booked the outward journey in January and it cost £90 for a middle of the day crossing. We did not book the return because we were not sure when we would be back. I then kept an eye on midday crossing costs for the following couple of weeks when I was out there.

They generally stayed steady at about £110 as long as you were booking at least a couple of days in advance. If you were booking the day before they went up a bit, but booking on the day of crossing shot up to about £195 from memory. I am told that if you just turn up without a ticket they charge well over £200.

All charges are for a "campervan", which covers everything from a converted VW to a 35 foot RV. And I suspect they will be higher in the summer, but lower if you travel early or late in the day.

So it looks like it is best to book early for the best prices.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
The earlier you book the Tunnel the cheaper it will be - you'll save a heck of a lot each way depending on time of day or month.

Mid-day 5th May - £198

Mid-day 5th October - £37

Saves quite a bit of beer money!

:france::france::france:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Yes and though it tells you not to be early, you can be early and if there's room they'll stick you on the first available one. We used to regularly do this when we went down after work; dunno what you'll find round the M25 etc so you book a bit later.

Our daughter turned up with her caravan and was offered an earlier one, at an extra £20 so she declined and said she'd go on the one they'd booked. As they drove round to the carpark, the boards changed to say they could proceed to where you wait to board so they rushed round there and parked at the front of their lane. She and 2 kids hopped out and went in the van to use the loo, son in law remained in driving seat. Just on it the chap opened the barrier and told him to rush down and get on the previous train!

So he did and they just had to hold on tight! The bloke on the train was just chocking the wheels on the caravan when the door opened and they trooped out - fortunately son in law had the presence of mind to have the tickets in his hand by this time, to show they definitely were with him!

Same thing has happened to us before now. We've been getting into bed at Gravelines, before the time we should have been boarding our train !

OP
OP
sticky130
Sep 30, 2012
Frampton, West Dorset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Yes and though it tells you not to be early, you can be early and if there's room they'll stick you on the first available one. We used to regularly do this when we went down after work; dunno what you'll find round the M25 etc so you book a bit later.

Our daughter turned up with her caravan and was offered an earlier one, at an extra £20 so she declined and said she'd go on the one they'd booked. As they drove round to the carpark, the boards changed to say they could proceed to where you wait to board so they rushed round there and parked at the front of their lane. She and 2 kids hopped out and went in the van to use the loo, son in law remained in driving seat. Just on it the chap opened the barrier and told him to rush down and get on the previous train!

So he did and they just had to hold on tight! The bloke on the train was just chocking the wheels on the caravan when the door opened and they trooped out - fortunately son in law had the presence of mind to have the tickets in his hand by this time, to show they definitely were with him!

Same thing has happened to us before now. We've been getting into bed at Gravelines, before the time we should have been boarding our train !

:Eeek: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
The eurotunnel website quoted me 104 (208 return) last week to travel on the 11th May. so I booked the same times through camping and caravan club and paid 176 return. saved £32

Steve

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
One thing I like about the tunnel is the flexibility, if you want to change your date of travel for example.

There is no admin fee or premium charged, just whatever fare is available at the time. I had a Tesco booking that I changed the departure date 4 times! Obviously, if the price of the tickets has gone up, then it costs a bit extra. But it's easy to do some research on available fares using the website first, then telephone and say you'd like to go on a different date, specifying what time you want to make the crossing. :thumb:

Once did it the day before date due to travel. Chose a night time fare for 4 days forward and it only cost about £5 extra, which I thought was reasonable, given it was such short notice. :Smile:

Mike

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Tunnel

we usually pay about £66 - £72 per each leg, but of course Tesco covers it

Sometimes, we have booked as late as the 2020 to get the cheaper price, but just turned up early and hoped for the best!

Russ

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Just booked a Tunnel return for a quick flit to France in our car in early Sept and have paid £97 in total. Depart around teatime Fri, return mid morning Monday.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i can never make sense of the tunnel website is it the same price as a car and upto 9 passengers as for a motor home?

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
We've never booked in advance and have always just bought it the day before travelling and I don't think we've ever paid more than £90 one-way, and that is going in July.

I like the freedom of being able to go whenever we like and figure by the time we get to Dover there's more than one way to skin a cat so if the tunnel wasn't available we'd get a ferry. Hey, I like living dangerously :)

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Just booked using our Tesco vouchers, so easy, only had to pay £42.00 towards to price, so I guess I'll be saving all my Tesco vouches in future. :thumb:

Bar-Le-Duc

Free Member
Mar 25, 2010
The Weald of Kent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005
Tesco Vouchers

Hi everyone,
Forgive the ignorance, but what are Tesco vouchers and how does that work ??
Bar-Le-Duc

" Onwards to the new land "

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Tunnel !!:Doh: remember to have a fire extinguisher to hand ! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

What? with all that water above you?

We buy a Frequent traveller ticket, over 5 return trips, we save about £250+ and bookings can be changed up to the last minute with no penalty. Off peak only, but we only live 1/2 hour from the terminal so an early crossing isn't a problem.

Allan

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Reward or loyalty vouchers issued by a major supermarket in the UK called Tesco each time you shop with them. They can be redeemed for cash or goods or services. .

Not only that you get three times their face value:thumb::thumb: we have never paid full fare yet, went a fortnight ago for free return, stil got some left for september:thumb::thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi everyone,
Forgive the ignorance, but what are Tesco vouchers and how does that work ??
Bar-Le-Duc

" Onwards to the new land "

the below thread will shed some light, the most up to date info is from the posting by Styx on 17-03-2013, 21:23 onwards

Link Removed

Oct 1, 2014
Funster No
We will be using our Tesco vouchers on the tunnel in September, But not sure what date we will return, So does anyone know if its possible to amend your booking whist in France, or can you just book a one way trip from calais to uk...I have tried to look into this but cant find the website for tunnel in France,only the UK site...Any help or advice would be great....thanks

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We will be using our Tesco vouchers on the tunnel in September, But not sure what date we will return, So does anyone know if its possible to amend your booking whist in France, or can you just book a one way trip from calais to uk...I have tried to look into this but cant find the website for tunnel in France,only the UK site...Any help or advice would be great....thanks

You can book a one way journey while you are away easily enough. As you have to book over the phone I don't see why you couldn't use Tesco vouchers to do it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You can book one way but then you can't use your vouchers for the return journey if booking in France as you have to do it over the phone, but see no reason why you can't book a return and amend it later but it would probably cost you more than you had saved in the first place , so really to get the full benefit you have to book a return and stick to it or just a one way and then pay the full price for the return journey, this is what we have done earlier this year, and still have enough vouchers for another one way.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You can book a one way journey while you are away easily enough. As you have to book over the phone I don't see why you couldn't use Tesco vouchers to do it.
They have to send you something , so can't do it in France, don't know the details as Julie does it but could get the full info if needed.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The earlier you book the Tunnel the cheaper it will be - you'll save a heck of a lot each way depending on time of day or month.

Mid-day 5th May - £198

Mid-day 5th October - £37

Saves quite a bit of beer money!

:france::france::france:

I've just looked & £95 is midday price in October ??

https://www.eurotunnel.com/book/PriceGrid/(3)
I've never ever seen anything below £70 either direction, in the middle of the night,

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Look at my "sharing frequent traveller" thread over in France forum. Flexible and cheap year round....

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
They have to send you something , so can't do it in France, don't know the details as Julie does it but could get the full info if needed.

They used to post the codes out to you but now they email them to you so you should be able to book from France so long as you can pick up your emails.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Can't fault the tunnel for flexibility. We have frequent traveler. Did last minute dash to Brugge Friday evening. Just on tunnel on way back. So easy. Turned up 1hr early they just put us on the next available. Excellent service and no stress even with the dog(y). Signal as well to read motor home fun(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back