LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Ok so ive finally been dragged and kicked in to the 21st century. I have always resisted the temptation to have TV in the van when away as there are to many other things to be doing. However as a trial Im purchasing a little suitcase saterllite system.

However, I have a tv dongle for my laptop and was wandering if I could just plug that in to the laptop and then connect the dish to it to get my tv?

Or if I take my TV i am told I will need a saterlitte receiver box. I am having sky+ fitted next week and was thinking that I could keep my old box and just use that in te van, But I will have to have a viewing card yes? if so where can I get one? I apprieciate I could just take the one from my box at home with me but then I wont be able to record on Sky + whilst away? is this all correct? any help greatly received for tv un treccie.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I use a standard Sky box and a £25 sky card. I'm not sure Sky will sell you the £25 card if you are already a customer so we used Lynn's office address. I use a normal sky dish on a tripod,that came from freecycle. If you want a dish i have one in the shed you can have.

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
The laptop dongle should enable you to input from a terrestrial aerial or the feed from the sat box...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
The dongle will work with free view but could work from satellite but I would stick to freeview, you must have an ordinary aerial on you van so plug it into that (its a later van so surely has an existing aerial?)

Sky dish will add to the costs.

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
If your TV dongle is analogue you could simply run a bit of aerial lead from the sky box to the dongle. If it's a freeview then that won't work but you may still be able to do it using composite or s-video depending on what connections your dongle and digibox have.
DVB-T (Freeview) is getting better and better all the time. Even so, I'm keeping my Sky dish on the RV as I can watch our favourite programs even when abroad. I'm seriously thinking about getting one of the new Freesat HD digiboxes as soon as the price starts to drop.

Regards
Doug

smokey

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
Funster No
Hi all
I have just joined the forum at the moment to ask this question, although I have owned a series of Volkswagon camper vans for many years now.

Exactly what is a dongle.
What does it do.
Where can I get one.

PS, this is because I is a geriatic pensioner, still camping.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Thanks all.
And welcome Smokey, a dongle is something you buy that plugs in to your laptop and allows you to watch TV.

John I have an ariel on my van and it is the status ariel. Problem is that unless I am staying on the CC site at Crystal palace i rarely get a signal with it. When I use it in doors, no problem.

So what I can digest, am I right in thinking that if I use 1) a sat dish 2) a freeview box and of course my TV I can get all free to air channels?
If I take away my Sky Box and card I can get what I get at home?:Blush:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
currently TV is analogue and will require a freeview box once the digital changeover is complete. Freeview is a landbased source of TV signals and currently very hit and miss. Free to air channels are satallite based and therefor available from just about anywhere withing the footprint of that particular satalite. what combination one uses in the van depends on how you use the van and what power source you use, on a site with hook up adaquate power any combination you wish. Sufficient solar panel power can give you the same choice. Running on battery power the best choice is a 12v freeview box and a cheapo old analogue TV, makes it less desireable to thieves as well. Currently the dongle route for freeview is very hit and miss, when close to a transmitter fine otherwise the signal level is too low, even with a decent antenna plugged in. Try before you buy, that way you will not be disappointed.

smokey

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
Funster No
Hi all
I have just joined the forum at the moment to ask this question, although I have owned a series of Volkswagon camper vans for many years now.

Exactly what is a dongle.
What does it do.
Where can I get one.

PS, this is because I is a geriatic pensioner, still camping.

Hi all

Thanks for your replies.

I had thought that Dongle was a generic term like widgit, then when I ran Dongle through Google I found it was going to cost me £15.00 a month, so that's a No No

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi all

Thanks for your replies.

I had thought that Dongle was a generic term like widgit, then when I ran Dongle through Google I found it was going to cost me £15.00 a month, so that's a No No

wrong type of dongle mate....the one you refer to is an internet dongle.

you need a tv dongle which you buy outright from a computer shop, currys, comet ect, simular shape and size but totally diferent thing.

it is basicly an rf modulator that converts a tv signal so your laptop can understand it.

john.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
dont know whether its true or not but I am sure someone told me when we were away that sky provide a card for £20 for use in motorhomes

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ok so ive finally been dragged and kicked in to the 21st century. I have always resisted the temptation to have TV in the van when away as there are to many other things to be doing. However as a trial Im purchasing a little suitcase saterllite system.

However, I have a tv dongle for my laptop and was wandering if I could just plug that in to the laptop and then connect the dish to it to get my tv?

Or if I take my TV i am told I will need a saterlitte receiver box. I am having sky+ fitted next week and was thinking that I could keep my old box and just use that in te van, But I will have to have a viewing card yes? if so where can I get one? I apprieciate I could just take the one from my box at home with me but then I wont be able to record on Sky + whilst away? is this all correct? any help greatly received for tv un treccie.

hi paul, for an aerial you need a freeview box and for satelite you need a sat box either with (sky) or without (freeview) a card slot. with the sat (sky) box with card slot will get you the same as at home, without will get you a few hundred but not all english speaking.

the freeview box (terestrial) will get you around 80 channels, music and video mixed.

we use one without the card (Zender brand around £80)and it does us just fine.

the two boxes are totally diferent and sat wont work on a terestrial box and visa-versa.

john

Last edited:
N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
the dongle I have has Digital video broadcasting over terrestrial (DVB-T) thus no need for a freeview box...

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
hi paul, for an aerial you need a freeview box and for satelite you need a sat box either with (sky) or without (freeview) a card slot. with the sat (sky) box with card slot will get you the same as at home, without will get you a few hundred but not all english speaking.

the freeview box (terestrial) will get you around 80 channels, music and video mixed.

we use one without the card (Zender brand around £80)and it does us just fine.

the two boxes are totally diferent and sat wont work on a terestrial box and visa-versa.

john

Thanks John I think ive got it now,
So if I have a sat dish I need my box to come with me from home?
If I want to use my rubbish status ariel I just take my freeview box from home?

So I cant take my Freeview box from home and rig that up to the saterlitte dish, I have to take my Sky box?:Blush:

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
John, if your dongle is dvb-t than you don't need the freeview box to use your rubbish status aerial... 50% reduction on boxes you need to take:winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks John I think ive got it now,
So if I have a sat dish I need my box to come with me from home?
If I want to use my rubbish status ariel I just take my freeview box from home?

So I cant take my Freeview box from home and rig that up to the saterlitte dish, I have to take my Sky box?:Blush:

correct :thumb:

if the status is a flying saucer type dont expect miricals.....they really are crap and even worse with digi box's and in my opinion arnt worth the space they take on the roof.

smokey

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
Funster No
wrong type of dongle mate....the one you refer to is an internet dongle.

you need a tv dongle which you buy outright from a computer shop, currys, comet ect, simular shape and size but totally diferent thing.

it is basicly an rf modulator that converts a tv signal so your laptop can understand it.

john.

Thank you John
Re-investigating Dongles for TV

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None

this may help, i did this today as clients have been asking about freeview and freesat....links in the post show what channels you can get on what platform and with what card...

Link Removed

hope htis helps..

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back