LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
After reading the thread on a member having a come together with some nut...

Got me to thinking about a decent camera to mount on the dash..

Been looking on fleabay... thousands of them... :Doh:

Any pointers as to a good one.... and what SB card would I need... and are the cards interchangeable.. and where do you buy the cards.. :Smile:

Thanks.

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
i got this defo the last item im buying

works well should be mandatory at this price infact insurance should give these away at this price,,
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 9

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think I paid £14.00 inc postage from China !! Its 1080p and is supposed to be adjustable focal length ( but is actually only a digital zoom )
It has been in use for the past 3 years and it does bring a certain peace of mind..

BUT !!!
If YOU cause an accident be sure to rip it out the window before any one notices it there !!!! :winky: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Been looking at the same thread. Does anyone know how much footage can be held on a 16GB card for example? Obviously depends on resolution. Can these cameras be used to record separate files or is it just one continuous file of the previous xxxx minutes?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Been looking at the same thread. Does anyone know how much footage can be held on a 16GB card for example? Obviously depends on resolution. Can these cameras be used to record separate files or is it just one continuous file of the previous xxxx minutes?

On the camera I have you can set the "segment" length. The camera records in chunks of time (2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes or whatever - not sure of the exact timings) and the camera saves each segment. It then writes over each segment from oldest to newest as you continue recording. If there is a sudden shock the camera "locks" that segment so it isn't overwritten. You can disable this feature as driving over a pothole can cause the segment to lock. With a rough track you may end up with a full SD card pretty quickly.

I'm not sure how long in total it records.

It isn't possible for me to download direct from the camera but I could download through a card reader. I haven't tried that yet as the camera is pretty new.

I got mine from Amazon purely because I wanted to be able to send it back if necessary without any problems. The same model is probably cheaper on ebay. I wouldn't send mine back - gives peace of mind. I unplug it when parked so it isn't running but leave it on the windscreen. - makes people think it is still recording and, possibly, transmitting the video to a remote monitoring facility. The internal battery is a waste of space.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I have this one which I use when racing as well as when roadtesting customers vehicles or travelling in our motorhome:
Broken Link Removed

It records both vid streams simultaneously (although I gegerally only use the forward facing cam) as well as GPS data (location/speed) and G sensor info. For £39 delivered whats not to like?

Some vids from it can be seen on youtube by searching for "davey24249"

D.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just ordered the same as Mr. Motorhome... :thumb:

Thanks...:thumb:

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Does anyone know whether dash cams are legal in other countries?

We all know how fickle the French police have become!

Cyderyd.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
I use mr GoPro Hero with the wide fishe eye setting & i use it every day in my truck, with the fish eye it catches views that i can not see normally then I just spend a few minutes deleting anything I dont want to keep twice a day.
With a 64gb card I can record 4hrs @ 1080p 60fps or more at lower settings.

Not cheap though but beter than leaving it sitting on the shelf waiting for my next adventure.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I've got a dash cam which works well. I was thinking of getting another for SWMBO but wondered if this alternative to a Go Pro would be good (SJ4000) - plenty of complimentary reviews on the interweb. It would need the optional mount and charger for the car but seems like a good deal - has anyone else tried this model?

I like the thought of having it as multi functional camera - including use when skiing, cycling, snorkeling etc. Lots of mounts etc. come with it.

Broken Link Removed

or Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I tried a cheap 30 quid touch off e bay,a waste of money.

I then settled for the real job, a Roadhawk HD, daylight or dark, inbuilt gps to show continuos location on google map beside road video. Also shows speed ,date , time and directional g force and records sound, takes up to 64gb sd card, to replay directly on PC etc. HD video is excellent.
It over writes full card but saves shock events .
I bought extra suction mount and power supply to easily switch between car and RV .
I have not notified insurer as I don't want my own gear costing me
:thumb:

Last edited:

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
I've got a dash cam which works well. I was thinking of getting another for SWMBO but wondered if this alternative to a Go Pro would be good (SJ4000) - plenty of complimentary reviews on the interweb. It would need the optional mount and charger for the car but seems like a good deal - has anyone else tried this model?

I like the thought of having it as multi functional camera - including use when skiing, cycling, snorkeling etc. Lots of mounts etc. come with it.

Broken Link Removed

or Broken Link Removed

It wouldnt surprise me if they were unbranded GoPro, as when mine went wrong & they sent me new one the addresses on the paperwork were Netherlands Head Office & Japan as an originator supplier.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back