Free Member
May 28, 2014
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Totally confuse!
There are thousands of Motor homes for sale and I am really confused. I am currently looking at 3 so here goes.
1996 2.5 None turbo Fiat Elddis 5 berth Autostrad? 32000mls good condition. Some history needs service, cambelt. Hab check would all be done. Around £10500
1998 Swift royale 610 Fiat 2.5 turbo 4 berth. 52000mls all history with warranty (6months) serviced, cambelt done and Hab check. Looks almost mint condition to me £14000
2004 Fiat 2.0jdt turbo Carioca 5 berth 12000mls good condition but been standing only done 3000mls in past 3 years. Some old history no service or cambelt for last 3 years.
I would need to get service, Cambelt and hab check £14000.
Any advice as the newer one seems better but needs about £100 spending and I would taken the risk.
Please what would you all do and the reasons why, Thanks :Smile:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi there and welcome.

For me my choice would be led by the layout. Do they all have the layout you want? Sleeping arrangements? Big enough bathroom, storage etc.

After layout the next big thing is damp. Do any of them show signs of it? If yes can this be fixed without too much cost and bother.

Good luck with which ever one you go with.
:thumb:

Upvote 0

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Hi there and welcome.

For me my choice would be led by the layout. Do they all have the layout you want? Sleeping arrangements? Big enough bathroom, storage etc.

After layout the next big thing is damp. Do any of them show signs of it? If yes can this be fixed without too much cost and bother.

Good luck with which ever one you go with.
:thumb:

As above really but damp check is vitally important:thumb:

go to see a few more if in doubt
Stratford Show could be a good starting point even as a day visitor:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Okay, my opinion of the three:

• I'd rule out the first as it's a non-turbo ... been there, done that, not pleasant!
  • The second doesn't seem bad but even with warranty it doesn't mean its okay, and it depends on who is selling it too. With 52k on the clock if it looks mint something doesn't add up to me though ... maybe I'm just too suspicious!
  • The third one for me would be the obvious one to go for - yes it's been stood but to be fair a lot of MHs stand around for a long period of time, even if they do higher mileages as these tend to be for the odd holiday so doesn't really mean a lot. Also the fact that it has done a lot less mileage for the same cost and is 6 years younger will certainly appeal when the time comes to sell it on.

As has been said, get any vehicle you are seriously considering buying damp checked and have a really good crawl all over it, also arrange for a garage to have a good shuftie at it for you, they won't charge a lot but could save you a lot of money and/or heartache and also prove a bargaining tool to get a better deal than you would otherwise. Something that is often overlooked is the age of the tyres, even if they look okay they could be the originals and if they are for safety you would need to be replacing them all (including the spare) as they would have weakened with age.

Of course, this is assuming that the habitation part is okay and that the layout is what you want and that you have also done your homework on what price these MHs go for normally. :Smile:

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Spend a bit more time looking... :Cool:

What ever you get, if it`s a first M/home...... you will see one and think.... cor that`s nice..... wish we had one like that... and with that lay out... ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
get the best layout that suits YOUR needs !
make sure its TURBO DIESEL !
be prepared to COMPROMISE on everything else !
good luck !!!

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Any diesel without a turbo would be a non starter for me.
I'd rule out the first as it's a non-turbo ... been there, done that, not pleasant!
make sure its TURBO DIESEL!

Why is everyone so down on a non-turbo diesel? We have a 1994 2.5L non-turbo and when we first got it, four years ago, we had problems with hill climbing but after we had it serviced by a competent mechanic (and continue to have it serviced regularly) it's no problem at all.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Number 3 sounds the best choice-- but --I suspect you are getting a subliminal message here ::bigsmile: LAYOUT :thumb: You really need to check out what will suit your needs Try making beds etc imagine showering and cooking a meal -then the big one for me feet up lounging -can you sit comfortably and watch the world go by/tv if it's raining ? Dinettes are great for eating but everyone I have ever sat in are useless for comfort :winky: even sat across the seats I still have never sat comfortable for any length of time -bloody US :Eeek: The only time I found one comfy was when we made it into a bed ::bigsmile:-All vans are great when the weather is nice but when it rains that's when you find if you have the right layout :winky::thumb:
Once you decide on the layout you want then look for vans with that layout,do your homework on prices (you can always ask on here if its a good buy or not) you may not like the answers but you will get sound advice ::bigsmile:especially if you post a link :thumb: there are a lot of Hawk eyed funsters :winky:-that's enough for now,good luck on your search ::bigsmile:
terry

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
If that were my choice list after looking around I would go for no2 as Im guessing that it has a rear lounge & an overcab bed giving a nice layout with space & usable options.
The overcab bed makes for good storage or a place to rest on a long journey & the rear lounge is nice & sociable.

No1 without looking I guess has the loo opposite the lounge but if it were & U lounge then i would also cosider it.

No3 I lay money it has the fixed bed & cramped diner (im only guessing here btw) for which was a real turn off for me as on a wet misirable day your stuck inside & can swing a cat.

We anted the fixed bed & tried loads & settled on a complete compromise with the rear loung & also have the dinete up front, its an awsome layout.

Good Luck

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Turbo Diesel only
Dinette with x4 seatbelts for passengers
Rear U shape lounge to sit and watch TV or drink beer in wet weather
Overhead bed is ok but we use it for keeping stuff in
No damp in it , buy a meter
Wind out awning in case you fall out with each other :roflmto:

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
As stated by others the 2 most important factors are Damp & Layout in that order.
Don't forget a habitation check doesn't always include a DAMP check, so check.:roflmto:
After that, if it's dry & the layout you want I'd go for the newer van from the spares point of view as some parts are getting scarce for older vans.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi Number 3 sounds the best choice-- but --I suspect you are getting a subliminal message here ::bigsmile: LAYOUT :thumb: You really need to check out what will suit your needs Try making beds etc imagine showering and cooking a meal -then the big one for me feet up lounging -can you sit comfortably and watch the world go by/tv if it's raining ? Dinettes are great for eating but everyone I have ever sat in are useless for comfort :winky: even sat across the seats I still have never sat comfortable for any length of time -bloody US :Eeek: The only time I found one comfy was when we made it into a bed ::bigsmile:-All vans are great when the weather is nice but when it rains that's when you find if you have the right layout :winky::thumb:
Once you decide on the layout you want then look for vans with that layout,do your homework on prices (you can always ask on here if its a good buy or not) you may not like the answers but you will get sound advice ::bigsmile:especially if you post a link :thumb: there are a lot of Hawk eyed funsters :winky:-that's enough for now,good luck on your search ::bigsmile:
terry

What more can I say. This is all good advice. You must be happy with the layout.
Mind you, as has already been said, you will see a better one after the fist year or so and want to change anyway :thumb::thumb:
Good luck with your new MoHo and :welcomefunster:
John

Upvote 0

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
this is our third van.but this one we have had for 24 years.because it has the layout that suits us.good luck with your choice.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back