LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Got a Blackbirds nest in a thick small Holly Tree just outside the kitchen window...

3 chicks have hatched out and were doing well... :thumb:

Till a herd of "Magpie`s" came along and had them away... :cry::Angry:

What`s the law on shooting them.. ?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Magpies, crows, wood pigeons are all official vermin and can legally be shot

Was trying to find an official reference to the above, but also trying to work!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
magpies are classed as vermin,just shoot them,if you watch a magpie sitting in a tree he/she is watching the other bird movements to see where his/hers next lunch is coming from,magpies are good to eat.
crows will do the same,but rooks wont:thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I wish we had some Magpies here to help--

Huge trees outside with lots of pigeons nesting , a car parked underneath overnight looks like a heard of cows live up there:Angry:

I wish i had a good airgun

Deleted User
What's wrong with magpies? They are wild animals, wild animals eat one another, sometimes sad but that's life. We eat veal, suckling pigs, lambs........... Blackbirds eat worms etc etc........

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Evolution.......... or summat like that...:RollEyes:

Yes to the above...... but what eats Magpie`s... ?

The way they are down here,,,, there wont be any other birds around... in the future... :Sad:

There are hundreds of the bloody things..

Deleted User
Probably man upsetting the balance of nature, need a few buzzards,eagles etc to restore the balance.

Or restore the balance yourself with a gun ::bigsmile:

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Get a Larsen trap if you got a gamekeeper nearby, he'll let you have a call bird which will be a magpie, excellent way of trimming the fookers up, caught 54 on our shoot this year, we always average 40- 50 a year when l was a lad we never saw a magpie, they'll clear out all other birds nests of eggs and chicks.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well I hate maggies because of what they do, but we aren't overrun at the moment, but then we have a kestrel around the vicinity somewhere, who often stops off on our fence for a minute or two on his patrol.

However there is a collared dove (yes it is a dove, we see plenty of pigeons which are bigger and we DO know the difference - they usually nest in our Leylandii!) who has taken up residence in next door's cherry tree - and he/she hates magpies and always chases them off ! The dove is smaller but even when the bugger's stopped on our gazebo to get its breath back she soon sees him off again!

I always cheer LOL

The trouble with shooting stuff in your garden is it is illegal to discharge anything within - is it 30 yards? or 100? - of a dwelling or a public highway. Which is limiting for us urbanites.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Probably man upsetting the balance of nature, need a few buzzards,eagles etc to restore the balance.

Or restore the balance yourself with a gun ::bigsmile:

Bought a gun last week,,,, cos we had a couple of rats floating about... :Angry:

But since I got it... aint seen one... :RollEyes:

Did try and line up a Magpie.... but by the time I had him in Eye shot he was off... must have eyes in the back of their heads... :Doh:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Well I hate maggies because of what they do, but we aren't overrun at the moment, but then we have a kestrel around the vicinity somewhere, who often stops off on our fence for a minute or two on his patrol.

However there is a collared dove (yes it is a dove, we see plenty of pigeons which are bigger and we DO know the difference - they usually nest in our Leylandii!) who has taken up residence in next door's cherry tree - and he/she hates magpies and always chases them off ! The dove is smaller but even when the bugger's stopped on our gazebo to get its breath back she soon sees him off again!

I always cheer LOL

The trouble with shooting stuff in your garden is it is illegal to discharge anything within - is it 30 yards? or 100? - [HI]of a dwelling or a public highway.[/HI] Which is limiting for us urbanites.

We are OK on the dwelling... :thumb:

Have got a lane outside.... but only get a few cars and tractors coming up and down each day... and I can hear them coming... ::bigsmile:

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
The trouble with shooting stuff in your garden is it is illegal to discharge anything within - is it 30 yards? or 100? - of a dwelling or a public highway. Which is limiting for us urbanites.

It's my understanding that as long as the pellet doesn't leave your property then it's ok.

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
This is how a Larsen trap works, they catch 24/7 well during the hours of light as long as you feed and water and check it daily, the call bird it is perfectly legal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 49
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Got a Blackbirds nest in a thick small Holly Tree just outside the kitchen window...

Wanted to do the same to a cat at the weekend.:Angry:
We were watching 3 tiny baby rabbits playing in the sun , jumping about nibbling grass.
Granted our borders would have loved to have slipped their wire rope , and gone on chase. But they were securely fastened.
A cat came out of no where , grabbed one by the neck.
Have you ever heard a rabbit scream ? Not nice.
Ran off with it , in it's mouth . Wriggling about for all it's worth:Sad:
Felt like letting Buster off, to give chase. But people were watching........

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
You barstewards... :Angry:

not only have we got Mike Ashley as an owner now you want to shoot us... :Eeek:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
What's wrong with magpies? They are wild animals, wild animals eat one another, sometimes sad but that's life. We eat veal, suckling pigs, lambs........... Blackbirds eat worms etc etc........

Sod that, I'm a vegetarian, with a shotgun, 200 yards from the nearest road.........

Anybody want to buy some nice black and white feather dream catchers?

Allan

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
As other members have already stated VeryOlMoIceCreamNoInternetMan, pull the trigger and you are responsible for the projectile. It must not leave your premises and you will be surprised at how far these things will fly if you miss. With a 12lb rifle the pellet will travel about a mile. So, would you like me to come and do it for you. Only one Guinea a shot, but guaranteed results. :ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Let me see if I have got this right...

Magpies are classified as vermin and you are allowed to shoot them...

Now...

Is that just the players or does it include their fans too?

JJ :Cool:

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
i,m on your side .But

While i have every sympathy with you it is as stated nature at work.
We have a pair of blackbirds also their warbling to me brightens up the day.A few weeks back one went missing and I found a lot of black wing feathers and down at the edge of the garden below our Garage,i supected the cat but who knows as kestrals frequent our neighbourhood too.The Female stuck around and sung louder and longer than ever.Lo and behold a lovely pitch black male has appeared and they are now inseperable.I believe they nest the other side of our fence to which i have access where there is a load of wild scrub.Take heart from the fact that blackbirds can have 2 -3 broods so all is not lost.
" The young are fed by the parents for up to three weeks after leaving the nest, and will follow the adults begging for food. If the female starts another nest, the male alone will feed the fledged young.[24] Second broods are common, with the female reusing the same nest if the brood was successful, and three broods may be raised in the south of the common blackbird's range."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_blackbird

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Let me see if I have got this right...

Magpies are classified as vermin and you are allowed to shoot them...

Now...

Is that just the players or does it include their fans too?

JJ :Cool:

You barsteward you... :Angry:

your lot bought the title.... :whatthe:

again....:Blush:

::bigsmile::winky::RollEyes::Blush::Cool:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
ALL BIRDS ARE PROTECTED BY LAW BUT you can shoot them under certain circumstances

Legal status

Magpies, like all other species, are protected under the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 and the Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985. This makes it illegal to intentionally or, in Scotland, recklessly take, injure or kill a magpie, or to take, damage or destroy an active nest or its contents. In Northern Ireland, it is illegal to disturb birds at an active nest.
However, the law recognises that in some circumstances control may be necessary. Killing can only be done if specific conditions are met, and only where non-lethal methods of control are ineffective or impractical.
The UK Governments issue annually general licences (for which it is not necessary to apply individually) under the Wildlife and Countryside Act and the Wildlife Order, some of which allow magpies to be killed or taken by 'authorised persons', using permitted methods, for the purposes of:

• preventing serious damage to agricultural crops or livestock
  • preserving public health
  • conserving wild birds
  • preserving air safety.
An 'authorised person' is a landowner or occupier, or someone acting with the landowner's or occupier's permission.
Since general licences are reviewed annually and can be withdrawn or altered at any time, it is recommended that anyone wanting to exercise the licence should first check details on the relevant government department website or contact them for up to date legal advice and the exact terms of the licence.

HOWEVER

As Mike accurately pointed out use of any fire arm the projectile is the responsibility of the user and should not go into any area where the public would be at risk.

One interesting anecdote to this is that seagulls are also a protected species and despite their annoying habits councils cannot shoot them unless they are a specific hazard to humans - ie attacking passers by etc

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years

However, the law recognises that in some circumstances control may be necessary. Killing can only be done if specific conditions are met, and only where non-lethal methods of control are ineffective or impractical.
The UK Governments issue annually general licences (for which it is not necessary to apply individually) under the Wildlife and Countryside Act and the Wildlife Order, some of which allow magpies to be killed or taken by 'authorised persons', using permitted methods, for the purposes of:

• preventing serious damage to agricultural crops or livestock
  • preserving public health
  • conserving wild birds
  • preserving air safety.
An 'authorised person' is a landowner or occupier, or someone acting with the landowner's or occupier's permission.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

I always cheer LOL

The trouble with shooting stuff in your garden is[HI] it is illegal to discharge anything within - is it 30 yards? or 100? - of a dwelling or a public highway[/HI]. Which is limiting for us urbanites.

tell that to the arrogant farmer who organises shoots in the field at the back of us.......depending on the direction of the beaters they stand within feet of our rear fence, which runs next to a public bridleway, shooting over the field.

Police have spoken to him and given him verbal warnings.......but thats where 'arrogant' comes in.

He thinks he's above the law.....and the police never turn up in time after ringing them when he is shooting.

From memory, its 25ft.....not very far when using a shotgun

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
One interesting anecdote to this is that seagulls are also a protected species and despite their annoying habits councils cannot shoot them unless they are a specific hazard to humans - ie attacking passers by etc

scarborough borough council used to have an annual cull........at first by shooting, then later by egg collection on the cliffs below the castle.

Then it all stopped......

Now, in summer, you cant walk through the town without getting covered in gull shit

Of course, a major contributing factor, other than not culling, to there abundance in town is visitors feeding the flying shit factories :Angry:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
this all reminds me of a family friend many years ago. he was getting peed off because a fox kept getting at his hens, so decided to deal with it permanently. he took his shotgun up to his bedroom which overlooked the garden and the chicken run. nothing happened for a couple of days and he thought the fox had moved on. but next day another bird got taken so now he was really angry. he left the window open so he could hear any noises and slept with one hand on his shotgun
next morning at first light the hens kicked off, he leapt from the bed, through the window wide open looking for the fox. out the corner of his eye he spotted a bush moving, so swung the gun across and let go both barrels. much screaming later, a poor postman staggered out of the bush where he had been having a wee, pepershot on the back and arse.

it caused quite a fuss locally at the time but somehow he kept his shotgun licence and the postie never sued. cant see it being that clear cut or simple these days. dont recall what happened about the fox, but am pretty certain it was done away with not long later. country folk are not sentimental about nature, well not round here anyway

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back