Wobble driving van (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
When we started out yesterday to the Peak District the started weaving around a bit, it was on the motorway and we were only doing about 55. We slowed right down and it didn't do it again. What could cause it? Crosswinds? It freaked us put a bit

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
When we started out yesterday to the Peak District the started weaving around a bit, it was on the motorway and we were only doing about 55. We slowed right down and it didn't do it again. What could cause it? Crosswinds? It freaked us put a bit

It does sound like the wind to me. Generally the faster you go, the lighter the steering is and the greater the effect of any wind, particularly gusts. I notice it even on my little low roofed work transit van as I get up to around 60 on windy days. The higher the vehicle, the greater the leverage effect of a crosswind. If you notice it happening, slow down a bit and enjoy the view :Smile:

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
I had something similar driving up the A34 for the Newbury Show. Lasted for about 1/4 mile, think it was just the road surface. Vaguely remember it happening last year as well with the previous van. Makes you sit up & take notice though .:whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
You can often find sections of motorway that are rutted out with continual heavy goods use and the tracks are wider than motorhome tracks. This is particularly noticeable with our Rapido with the Alko Chassis that has a wider rear track than front as it keeps jumping in and out of the ruts.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as above.

Tramlining, when the wheels on one side sit in ruts caused by hgv traffic then it pops out and the other wheels drop into the opposite rut.

Nothing you can do except drive closer to the kerb or white line to avoid the ruts.

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Yep, definitely ruts in road. More and more of them wherever you go. You should try the M62 coming from Hull, terrible.

Try avoiding them by staying in the third lane.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp

Have u loaded it right if uve put to much on the arse end ( the back ) it might b a bit light on front. Have u fill up your water tank I always run with a full water tank. If that doesn't fix it I have nada.....:thumb:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
If you were driving on the motorway on the inside lane it could well be that the surface of the carraigeway has become corrupt due to the the amount of HGV vehicles.
We had a similar experience when last in the UK. If you looked carefully you could actually see how uneven the surface was

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Have u loaded it right if uve put to much on the arse end ( the back ) it might b a bit light on front. Have u fill up your water tank I always run with a full water tank. If that doesn't fix it I have nada.....:thumb:
you bet me to it
:cry:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years