Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The day after I listed my van on ebay
Broken Link Removed

I get a message through ebay from someone who has just joined- no feedback

"I'd like to go ahead buy the Motorhome . however - we live in the far north of Scotland near Aberdeen and what I'd like to do is pay you a deposit today to secure the van and then pay you the balance on the day we we go down to pick it up -
We will be doing a bike race quite near wher you live on the 14th June ( Ashton-On-Ribble, Preston, Lancashire, PR2 1SG- I think its reasonably close ? ) so we could take the train with our bikes to Derby on the previous Thursday 12th June and we could figure out a way to get to your place or if you had time you might be able to meet us at the railway station ? or whatever - we might be able to get a taxi big enough to take us and our bikes .
You could then show us the Motorhome and how everything works - We'll drive it to the race and back to Scotland afterwards - If this suggestion is acceptable -please let me know soonest - let me know also how much of a deposit you need"

If it's a con - how does it work?

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
simple answer

1, call land line number or ask them for works number check this on google then call..
2,, ask them for there home address within a second google it ,,,
3, forget deposit etc, mines was in leeds im from glasgow if its what you want you will travel ,
4 dont give bank details , nothing no address or anything untill you have checked them out,,
if in doubt pull out,, :thumb:

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I would also check if there is a bike race on the day at that location,
If they are genuine they will happily give you information for you to confirm this,
Just be sensible and cautious,

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
It looks like its a con yes. The con works when they want to pay the deposit, asking for your PayPal account or even a bank account details. I don't know exactly how they perform the fraud but it goes along the lines of depositing money by using stolen details or credit card, you receive notification it is in your PayPal account. They then come up with an excuse they are unable to get, or some tragic story that prevents them making their dream purchase and ask for a refund from you. Usually by a debit card / credit card transfer to a bank account or PayPal or whatever. They get your money, then several days later, you are notified the PayPal deposit made to your account was unauthorized / fraudulent and there you are out of pocket.
There are many ways they can deceive innocent sellers, the problem arises when the seller throws caution to the wind in the hope of selling at the asking price, no quibble and the promise of the money in hand.
The main thing to bear in mind is that many of the culprit live in foreign lands and web type fraud is their career. By reading their email to you carefully, you will see that the author has not quite grasped the English language and certain words are missing or in the wrong context.
You could send a eBay message reply agreeing and see what comes back. I bet it will be a request for PayPal account or bank account details, but do not go any further with the contact. I'll await your update and I'll then add a little tale of a guy we had dealings with that was ordering all and sundry on line at the expense of unbeknown card holders.
Well done for spotting it though, good call.:thumb::thumb:
Lance

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
would you pay a deposit on it before looking at it? I know I wouldn't. Why would he?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
There certainly is a bike race then - see here

Does seem strange to buy something that expensive sight unseen. Look out for dodgy Banker's Drafts :Eeek:

Cheers

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Maybe I am too suspicious but I wouldn't pay a deposit without looking either.

Did get a name and a landline number - van is a good price but it seems too good to be true......................

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
far north of Scotland near Aberdeen
????

Wick and Thurso are in the far north.. not Aberdeen, it is in the N East..

may be wrong, but I don't think anyone who lived there would give it that description....

that makes me suspicious.. go with the other advice.. scam.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
What you have to bear in mind is that these people have to progress in order to give a plausible front and appear genuine. Just look at this short thread, the different responses. 'Seems strange to pay deposit without seeing van', ' Could be van theyre looking for and don't want to miss it.'
' I think its genuine, there is a race on in Preston, why would they say that if......... ' - THAT IS EXACTLY WHY, a bit of research, a plausible excuse to be in the area and they've already convinced one funster they are 'genuine buyers'.
This is what they do, this is what seperates a shite fraudster from the one that convinces you they are genuine. This person may well be genuine, I'm not convinced, so how will we progress this? Post the name and telephone number on here, then send your eBay message asking for £500 deposit to retain the van and await your reply, it will be within minutes and let's see what they ask for. :thumb::thumb:
Lance

Last edited:

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
Does sound dodgy but no harm in accepting a deposit via pay pal as long as you dont accept the final payment in anything other than a trip to the bank. Oh and tell him that the deposit would be non refundable.

I've been told that the fraudsters send a fake notification that the money has been deposited in your pay pal account.

Last edited:

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
????

may be wrong, but I don't think anyone who lived there would give it that description....

I have to agree with Jim, Aberdonians, which by their written English they obviously are not, do not describe themselves as living far North, I personally think its a scam, if you cannot meet them they are going to put bikes into a taxi with them. Have they asked how far you live from the station? To a cyclist of their following 10 miles would be an easy cycle, yet apart from getting them into a taxi to get to you, never mention cycling.

Personally I would string them along for as long as possible, set up a spoof paypal account, so yours is not compromised, and as we say in Scotland (West anyway) just rip their knitting till they leave you alone, but lots of fun playing with them.

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
????

I'm from Aberdeen, and have never considered myself from the far North, I live near Glasgow now and have never had my knitting ripped :ROFLMAO:

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
It smells scammy. If they're that keen they should be down on the train asap with cash to inspect the van and hold it until they collect, with cash or a bank transfer at your bank at that time. Who commits to buying a vehicle without inspection? It reeks of trouble.

Personally I would tell them no deposit required but the van will got to the first person who offers the required price. If that doesn't get them moving then they would only have messed you around at some point anyway. If they dawdle and someone else comes up with the readies then what do you care.

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
It smells scammy. If they're that keen they should be down on the train asap with cash to inspect the van and hold it until they collect, with cash or a bank transfer at your bank at that time. Who commits to buying a vehicle without inspection? It reeks of trouble.

Personally I would tell them no deposit required but the van will got to the first person who offers the required price. If that doesn't get them moving then they would only have messed you around at some point anyway. If they dawdle and someone else comes up with the readies then what do you care.

Yep totally agree with Movinon, take care, once they pay you a deposit
they will drag it out and of course it will be off the market for any legit buyers. Then they will try to get you to accept a lower price because of course you have their deposit fraudulent or not.
Sold a large boat once and had the same done to me
and of course then the decision to wait or give them the deposit back becomes a problem for you.
If they want it then they should come to see it and pay you cash or bank transfer for total amount at the time, if they can't or won't, then the Motorhome is available for anyone who comes along with the readies
Hope that helps:Smile:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
The day after I listed my van on ebay
Broken Link Removed

I get a message through ebay from someone who has just joined- no feedback

"I'd like to go ahead buy the Motorhome . however - we live in the far north of Scotland near Aberdeen and what I'd like to do is pay you a deposit today to secure the van and then pay you the balance on the day we we go down to pick it up -
We will be doing a bike race quite near wher you live on the 14th June ( Ashton-On-Ribble, Preston, Lancashire, PR2 1SG- I think its reasonably close ? ) so we could take the train with our bikes to Derby on the previous Thursday 12th June and we could figure out a way to get to your place or if you had time you might be able to meet us at the railway station ? or whatever - we might be able to get a taxi big enough to take us and our bikes .
You could then show us the Motorhome and how everything works - We'll drive it to the race and back to Scotland afterwards - If this suggestion is acceptable -please let me know soonest - let me know also how much of a deposit you need"

If it's a con - how does it work?

I'm always suspicious of anyone who feels the need to go into so much detail about the ins and outs of how they are going to do something, why would you care how they got there as long as they did?
I'm also very wary of people who ask, "Is this acceptable to you?".... no native English speaker would talk that way.
Of course, they may be Eastern European and I have sold a great deal of stuff through ebay to Eastern Europeans with no problems whatsoever but my personal gut instinct screams, "NO!!!!"....

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Yep i Agree a probable scam,

Tell them you have other parties interested in the van so you cannot take their deposit as this would not allow you to let others view the van, you would be pleased to show them around the van and if they called you before leaving home to see the van you would tell them if its still available. Oh and its a non refundable cash deposit after viewing the van and the full cash balance on collection.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Now here's a true Scamster at work.
Take a look at their "Other Items" and make up your own minds.....

Broken Link Removed

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Now here's a true Scamster at work.
Take a look at their "Other Items" and make up your own minds.....

Broken Link Removed

Cannot see the problem here. Been a member for at least 3 days, can only collect the goods, all in the one place, except the camera.
Think his ebay name could have been better, but hey ho, I always wanted to own a digger.

Pathetic, I wanted info via ebay mail, but says texts only?? Is that not against Ebay rules??

Too Late now all withdrawn, someone must have grassed them in

Last edited:

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Agree with all who are suspicious.

One possible scenario is they arrange a deposit through say bogus paypal/bank card When they turn up to view the van there is some excuse about account issues and how they would like to pay the total amount by bank transfer. So can you refund the paypal/bank card or better still have it in cash from a near by ATM.

Drive off with you MH and then apply for a refund/mistaken payment. Not sure of the detail but it's the same idea as the getting money out of the country scam where money is sent, you send it on to wherever minus you cut and then they claim it all back and you a bit out of pocket.

Sad old world at times!

Is there some sort of Escrow arrangement that could be set up?

How about a chat with you bank manager to see if there is a fool proof way of securing payment. Cash is risky as they could arrange a mugging.

Good luck:thumb:

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
e bay scam

we had the same thing when we had our van on auto trader e mail saying we will buy your motorhome un seen we are working on an oil rig we want your bank or paypal details i had 4 separte e mails i just ignored them

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Does the phone number given tie up with the address? Try 192.com and see what pops up.

Otherwise I agree that you shouldn't take a deposit but offer to show them the van when they are in the area - if it hasn't already been sold. And it has to be cash in hand, take them to the bank with you, and pay it into your account so the bank teller can check the notes. If it's a lot of money the bank'll ask for ID as well to avoid money laundering.

When I sold my van (some years ago) I also made sure there were other people in the house and around just in case.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
[HI]
Personally I would string them along for as long as possible, set up a spoof paypal account, so yours is not compromised, and as we say in Scotland (West anyway) just rip their knitting till they leave you alone, but lots of fun playing with them.
[/HI]

I must admit, its nice to see someone else likes this game. I have done this several times and found it great fun. You can really sence their juices flowing in anticipation of the kill. I eventually sent a fabricated PayPal email address that was made up of abusive words directed at the wouldbe fraudster.
All great fun but just remember to be very careful. :thumb:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
[/HI]

I must admit, its nice to see someone else likes this game. I have done this several times and found it great fun. You can really sence their juices flowing in anticipation of the kill. I eventually sent a fabricated PayPal email address that was made up of abusive words directed at the wouldbe fraudster.
You'd enjoy this then......

Broken Link Removed

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
????

No I wouldn't but a lot of people do. I lived in Livingston and Falkirk for two years and when I said I was going home for the weekend I got the standard reply of, oh, going up North then, cold up there isn't it. So, "buyer" may live in Aberdeen but not from Aberdeen.

Also lived in Wick for 18 months and learned to swim in the sea off Thurso beach.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Thanks everyone for the feedback

A member on here ( :thumb:) in the area is trying to check name and phone number given.

Not heard anything else through ebay messages but will update if there are any developments

:thumb:to everyone !

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
[/HI]

Me too, I do it all of the time but agree, be careful :Smile:

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks everyone for the feedback

A member on here ( :thumb:) in the area is trying to check name and phone number given.

Not heard anything else through ebay messages but will update if there are any developments

:thumb:to everyone !

I was just about to offer the same service :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back