OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Went through a pile of receipts which were in a bag in the MH when we purchased her. Found the receipt for the turbo. The van is 1990, the receipt is dated 1999. It details the make and model of the turbo, and also before and after BHP. It shows them as 62bhp before and 112 bhp after. I find this remarkable for 2 reasons. It was listed as having 79 bhp I thought, to be at 62 after 9 years o light use seems odd. And also - They more than doubled the horse power?!!? :Eeek: No wonder it goes so well! lol And there is me trying to get an extra couple of miles to the gallon with fancy tweaks! lol

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Went through a pile of receipts which were in a bag in the MH when we purchased her. Found the receipt for the turbo. The van is 1990, the receipt is dated 1999. It details the make and model of the turbo, and also before and after BHP. It shows them as 62bhp before and 112 bhp after. I find this remarkable for 2 reasons. It was listed as having 79 bhp I thought, to be at 62 after 9 years o light use seems odd. And also - They more than doubled the horse power?!!? :Eeek: No wonder it goes so well! lol And there is me trying to get an extra couple of miles to the gallon with fancy tweaks! lol

The 62bhp was probably measured at the wheel, including transmission losses. Diesels are completely anemic without a turbo. Hence why it is just about impossible to buy one without a turbo these days. Petrols don't need them quite so much.

I hope you've told the insurance company about the turbo...

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The 62bhp was probably measured at the wheel, including transmission losses. Diesels are completely anemic without a turbo. Hence why it is just about impossible to buy one without a turbo these days. Petrols don't need them quite so much.

I hope you've told the insurance company about the turbo...

My Fiat 2.5 is supposed to have a turbo.....But there isn't one there! however, it goes really well, acceleration in 5th on the motorway is very good. Really struggling to see what a turbo could do to improve performance for this 2.5. :Confused:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
My Fiat 2.5 is supposed to have a turbo.....But there isn't one there! however, it goes really well, acceleration in 5th on the motorway is very good. Really struggling to see what a turbo could do to improve performance for this 2.5. :Confused:

Are you sure it isn't there? A typical diesel turbo is really quite tiny, not like the massive things you find on souped up petrol engines.

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
i notice you claim to have a hymer camp 2.5 TD
guess what the T stands for?
AKAIK early citroen/pug 2.5 were non turbo, i know cos i had one, but FIAT came later and had a different motor which was always blown.
if yours IS sans turbo, i doubt you'll be going up too many hills faster than 40

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................

It will be a low boost turbo buried low down in the exhaust down pipe :thumb:

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................

Want more:
Air intake cone filter
Shorten exhaust to a sport style
Tweak the waste gate
up the cetane rating

::bigsmile: :thumb:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
i notice you claim to have a hymer camp 2.5 TD
guess what the T stands for?
AKAIK early citroen/pug 2.5 were non turbo, i know cos i had one, but FIAT came later and had a different motor which was always blown.
if yours IS sans turbo, i doubt you'll be going up too many hills faster than 40

Well, the Hymer started out with a 2.0 ltr Petrol Engine. At some point it got a diesel in it. The V5 says 2.5 TD, but there is nothing between the cast manifold and the resonator box except pipe.
So, it's manifold, cast section, (four bolt fitting) bend, then pipe. The turbo is supposed to be where the cast bend is, but it's not there.
Oh, and do tell me what the 'T' stands for, is it TIT?
By the way, not all 2.5 Fiats were Turbo cos I got one.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Well, the Hymer started out with a 2.0 ltr Petrol Engine. At some point it got a diesel in it. The V5 says 2.5 TD, but there is nothing between the cast manifold and the resonator box except pipe.
So, it's manifold, cast section, (four bolt fitting) bend, then pipe. The turbo is supposed to be where the cast bend is, but it's not there.
Oh, and do tell me what the 'T' stands for, is it TIT?
By the way, not all 2.5 Fiats were Turbo cos I got one.

TIT stands for Turbine inlet temperature :Eeek: sorry couldn't resist

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
if you have a 2.5 non turbo fiat engine...........it's an iveco.
it's the special Touring Without A Turbo model

All I know is that it says FIAT on the rocker cover, the engine number matches that of a 2.5 Turbo, (this from Fiat UK), and all the parts, (pump, fuel filter housing) conform to the workshop manual description and schematics.
So maybe it is just a 2.5 turbo with no turbo?? It's pre CAT, and MAP, so why not??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back