MobilSat Automatic Satellite System, anyone have one of these? (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
MobilSat Automatic Satellite - does anyone have one and recommend the system?

Does it have an automatic skew and will it pick up a signal in France???

Any help appreciated.

Ginny

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Yep we have had one for three years now and are well suited albeit I had to send it back to Miriad for re-programming after they fiddled with Astra 2 sat. last November.

We lost many channels whilst down in Spain and Portugal this winter but as soon as we got to Bairitz they all returned and remained all the way back up France.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Alan, you got it back yet and if so hows it doing ( quick? ) I have mine ready to post just awaiting email from company for postage details and cost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Yep we have had one for three years now and are well suited albeit I had to send it back to Miriad for re-programming after they fiddled with Astra 2 sat. last November.

We lost many channels whilst down in Spain and Portugal this winter but as soon as we got to Bairitz they all returned and remained all the way back up France.

Could you get TV in Spain and Portugal???? Our Dome has never worked that far south.

Ginny

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Alan, you got it back yet and if so hows it doing ( quick? ) I have mine ready to post just awaiting email from company for postage details and cost.

Yes John got it back and works perfect now ---Cost me £18 including return postage

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Could you get TV in Spain and Portugal???? Our Dome has never worked that far south.

Ginny

Yes we could get onto Asta 2 but we have the Sky box and sky card so could get Discovery Channels and similar but no BBC or ITV channels these only came back on as we got back as far up as Biaritz

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Yes we could get onto Asta 2 but we have the Sky box and sky card so could get Discovery Channels and similar but no BBC or ITV channels these only came back on as we got back as far up as Biaritz

In Spain you will not get any of the "local" channels like BBC ITV etc, however sky1, sports, discovery etc all work. We live in the Murcia region and have now problems, but it is a bit "hit and miss" depends on location.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

Does the dish come programmed with Astra 2 or do you have to mess about with it?

I wondered if the skew would work outside UK, but if you are getting Sky 1 etc it must be ok.

We are not bothered about BBC or ITV, if there is a program we are really keen on watching we watch it on Filmon over the Internet.

Have you ever had a problem with wind etc?? I suppose the dish is not one of those which automatically goes down when it is windy.

Ginny

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Ours does not have automatic skew but it is so easy to change as you get further south, come to think of it I have not altered it back but it seems just fine with almost full clockwise skew on it. With a big dish stuck up like a sail then strong winds or gusty weather will always mean it is safer to put it down when these conditions occur.

Yes it automatically finds Astra 2 and Astra 1 and I believe Hotbird but these are alterable

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
In Spain you will not get any of the "local" channels like BBC ITV etc, however sky1, sports, discovery etc all work. We live in the Murcia region and have now problems, but it is a bit "hit and miss" depends on location.

We went to La Manga this year with the Camping and Caravan club - we wont be going there again! Then we moved up to Camping Almafra, just outside Benidorm. We are thinking of Cap Blanch, or Almafra next winter then moving up to Benicassim for a couple of months.

If the Mobilsat will work with our Sky Box in that area of Spain we will be well pleased, it means we wont have to take the big dish and all the paraphernalia.

Ginny

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We just had our digibox returned yesterday, big thanks to Eddie VanBitz for all the info regarding the digibox also whom to send it to and saving us some money as we went to buy a new receiver from him thinking this would help ... Miriads, tel them on Monday afternoon on return from Newbury , then posted the box immediately and was returned yesterday by courier, as quoted previously £18 all in but the bad news is they had to return the equipment by Wednesday to Italy, hence why we paid £7.15 special delivery postage to get it there by lunchtime Tuesday ... the tv is now working again after a bit of searching, a great service from Miriads :thumb::thumb:

Kath

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Ours does not have automatic skew but it is so easy to change as you get further south, come to think of it I have not altered it back but it seems just fine with almost full clockwise skew on it. With a big dish stuck up like a sail then strong winds or gusty weather will always mean it is safer to put it down when these conditions occur.

Yes it automatically finds Astra 2 and Astra 1 and I believe Hotbird but these are alterable

How do you change the skew? do you have to get on the roof?

Ginny

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Does the dish come programmed with Astra 2 or do you have to mess about with it?

I wondered if the skew would work outside UK, but if you are getting Sky 1 etc it must be ok.

We are not bothered about BBC or ITV, if there is a program we are really keen on watching we watch it on Filmon over the Internet.

Have you ever had a problem with wind etc?? I suppose the dish is not one of those which automatically goes down when it is windy.

Ginny

Ginny, you have to adjust the LNB a little for Portugal, but otherwise it's fine for Spain as is. Depending were you are in Spain you can get all the "pay per view" channels via your sky card. Now as for wind generally we leave it up unless the wind is really bad and to date no problems. I also use it to turn and receive 13E and 19E as watch Spanish and Germany Tv as well.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Ginny, you have to adjust the LNB a little for Portugal, but otherwise it's fine for Spain as is. Depending were you are in Spain you can get all the "pay per view" channels via your sky card. Now as for wind generally we leave it up unless the wind is really bad and to date no problems. I also use it to turn and receive 13E and 19E as watch Spanish and Germany Tv as well.

Are those part of the preset satellites?

Ginny

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
Mobil sat

I've just had a Mobil sat fitted by Autocaravannas Navarro in Murcia to replace my storm damaged Katerein (?) one.
It's set to recieve Astra 1 Atlantic bird and hot bird.These I believe are the factory settings. I asked them why not Astra 2 and the mechanic said it doesn't cover Spain .
Anyway I seem to get all the news progs In English and lots of French, German progs but nothing else in English here on the costa Blanca.don't have a sky card !
It seems to move a little in breezes but works great so very pleased.::bigsmile:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I've just had a Mobil sat fitted by Autocaravannas Navarro in Murcia to replace my storm damaged Katerein (?) one.
It's set to recieve Astra 1 Atlantic bird and hot bird.These I believe are the factory settings. I asked them why not Astra 2 and the mechanic said it doesn't cover Spain .
Anyway I seem to get all the news progs In English and lots of French, German progs but nothing else in English here on the costa Blanca.don't have a sky card !
It seems to move a little in breezes but works great so very pleased.::bigsmile:

The fitted is telling "porkes" get him to set the third auto turn to astra2 for UK sat. The reason he is telling you lies is because he cannot log onto sat without software update for it to lock into astra 2. If it has up to date software it will LOCK ON even if you do not have a sky card and you should be able to get some (not many) channels which are encoded needing a sky card. If it does not lock on, but goes round and round it's the old software. Many of the channels on on the standard fit ( 13E and 19E ) do have english audio you just need to change the audio settings.
I living in Spain and you can receive Sky UK on Mobilsat as I have one on our MH, but depends where you are. In Murcia area I get Sky1,2 sports etc but NO BBc. ITV etc.

Good luck explaining that to him.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I agree with Don (John) if you read the instructions you can choose up to about three of sixteen sats. but if you change one of your three to Astra 2 and it does not lock on then the little black control box has not been up-dated since they changed the sats. at the begining of the year. If this is the case quote us two and wrap it round his neck if he disagrees.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It will work in Spain.

Also, its a poor replacement for a Kathrein system to be honest! I hope that you didn't pay Kathrien prices?

Eddie

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
It will work in Spain.

Also, its a poor replacement for a Kathrein system to be honest! I hope that you didn't pay Kathrien prices?

Eddie

Can't see much of a difference other than cost....... it goes up it locks onto sat - it goes down locked, same footprint. Job done........

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Can't see much of a difference other than cost....... it goes up it locks onto sat - it goes down locked, same footprint. Job done........

The Kathrein CAP system is a twin LNB GPS Autoskew system that is probably the best system on the market costing circa £2000 The Mobilsat is a single system that sells for as little as £700:Eeek: No autoskew or GOS

Kathrein state that if you intend to drive faster than 90KH that you stow the system before driving:roflmto: Try that with a Mobilsat that wobbles at the best of times! (actually, seriously DON'T try that with a Mobilsat system.

I am not suggesting that anyone shouldn't buy one if it suits budget, but as a replacement for a Kathrein it isn't in the same league

Just facts, with no axe to grind either way, having stocked and sold both systems in the past.

Eddie

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
The Kathrein CAP system is a twin LNB GPS Autoskew system that is probably the best system on the market costing circa £2000 The Mobilsat is a single system that sells for as little as £700:Eeek: No autoskew or GOS

Kathrein state that if you intend to drive faster than 90KH that you stow the system before driving:roflmto: Try that with a Mobilsat that wobbles at the best of times! (actually, seriously DON'T try that with a Mobilsat system.

I am not suggesting that anyone shouldn't buy one if it suits budget, but as a replacement for a Kathrein it isn't in the same league

Just facts, with no axe to grind either way, having stocked and sold both systems in the past.

Eddie
Hola Eddie my system was an old analogue system so didn't work much. Had to let the insurance co. instruct workshop what they would allow and pay for.
Just pleased I got a replacement
Regards

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
I agree with Don (John) if you read the instructions you can choose up to about three of sixteen sats. but if you change one of your three to Astra 2 and it does not lock on then the little black control box has not been up-dated since they changed the sats. at the begining of the year. If this is the case quote us two and wrap it round his neck if he disagrees.

Thanks for the reply, my Spanish is quite good but I would be talking to a Spanish guy , they are not stupid, just on another wavelength when it comes to logic He's already asked me why do I want or need Astra 2 . Think I'll take my Spanish amigo with me cos if I have to wrap it round his head my amigo is bigger :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Myriad will offer a speedy return service for little black box updates should you need it :thumb:

I understand about the swap over now and would agree that it is a good compromise.

Let me know if you need any information re upgrade or Myriad

Regards

Eddie

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp

Eddie

Eddie, you are 100% and it looks like a nice system, however twin LNB and still will not let you watch one channel whilst viewing the other cost includes a tuner box when most will use their own, and GPS yes, but why?
Really at the end of the day as I stated "Can't see much of a difference other than cost....... it goes up it locks onto sat - it goes down locked, same footprint. Job done........" If I'm sitting next to someone that has that system and we start both at the same time 99% of the time we will both lock on at the same time, but I did it for 1/4 of the price.....

It's horses for courses that the end of the day.

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
So long as your happy that's all that matters. Most of the time you wouldn't know the difference.

You can however watch two different programmes simultaneously. I know as I had the CAP 900 on my last RV and used the built in decoder for the TV in the lounge and a Sky box for the TV in the bedroom.

Software updates are downloaded direct from Astra 1 with no need to send any thing back or take anything out:thumb:

The GPS autoskew will work on the extremes where no GPS or autoskew systems will fail.

It is too expensive for what it is, and it is quite complicated to use (can be)

However, I was just concerned that a Funster had been supplied a cheaper system as a replacement for a Kathrein.

Turns out that he hasn't so all's well in the World :thumb:

Eddie

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Hello, have I been wasting my time, I bought my MH last October and it's got a sat dish etc I've had a few go's at getting a picture but to no avail. Does it need reprogramming ?? It's Kathrein Mobiset 2 Cap 200 with a Kathrein DVB caravan receiver UFD 540, any help appreciated.
Thanks Dave

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Try to get the system to lock onto Astra 19

If that works your halfway there. You should be able to get the software checked via the menu once it is pointing as Astra 19

I'll be honest I don't have a lot of experience with that particular model as we never supplied or installed it.

Try Astra19 first and get back to me :thumb:

Eddie

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
So long as your happy that's all that matters. Most of the time you wouldn't know the difference.

You can however watch two different programmes simultaneously. I know as I had the CAP 900 on my last RV and used the built in decoder for the TV in the lounge and a Sky box for the TV in the bedroom.

Software updates are downloaded direct from Astra 1 with no need to send any thing back or take anything out:thumb:

The GPS autoskew will work on the extremes where no GPS or autoskew systems will fail.

It is too expensive for what it is, and it is quite complicated to use (can be)

However, I was just concerned that a Funster had been supplied a cheaper system as a replacement for a Kathrein.

Turns out that he hasn't so all's well in the World :thumb:

Eddie

Many thanks for the concern Eddie
David (millibobs):thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread