Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Ring around and then give AIB a call Steve, unless you have a really expensive van they seem to be able to undercut most others, and they are offering a 15% discount to Funsters. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We went with CC this time. Having either LH drive motorhomes or German Tugs limits your choice of insurer drastically.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
NFU :thumb: ... I have three vehicles, motorhome, Ford Ka (toad) and a high performance Volvo all on the same policy and after a little :winky: discussion each year, they always come up with reasonable prices.

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
just upgraded to fully comp in europe on my insurance to cover france etc as my fully comp reduced to third pary only when we go to france in july and european breakdown cover for £83.00 extra,,,,dont think thats bad ....but sure you people will tell me if i have got a good deal......:Smile:

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
just upgraded to fully comp in europe on my insurance to cover france etc as my [HI]fully comp reduced to third pary only [/HI]when we go to france in july and european breakdown cover for £83.00 extra,,,,dont think thats bad ....but sure you people will tell me if i have got a good deal......:Smile:

That's not good, you have an accident and you are in the merde moneywise !!! and maybe no van !!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
GULP... !!!!!!!
MHF. ( hangs head low ). Same policy as Comfort, cant believe your quote is so much.. Mine is around £350 with European cover and the Morocco green card..

have been with safeguard for years and price about the same, only moved as there is meant to be a Breakdown "claim back" for Morocco.. Luckily had no reason to test it....

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
mhf fully comp + european/breakdown [platinum] £273.39, seem,s fair to me

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Annual premium £220.49 Chaucer via Caravan Club and Devitt.
Left Hand Drive,
fully comp,
270 days European cover in any one year (fully comp)
300o miles annual limit (can be extended at a cost of course)

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
2000 Reg van, Ducato 2.8, Bessacarr E745.
Comprehensive (£100 Excess)
270 days foreign use p\a

Scenic (Axa Motorhome) £202.34

glyndwr

Free Member
May 11, 2014
Abergavenny
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
since 1984 Chausson atm
I am with Adrian Flux , my T25 was renewed in Sept and was £140 agreed value , my Compass policy is due for renewal in October so have not had the price yet but that was with A.F. too and on an agreed value policy .

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Annual premium £220.49 Chaucer via Caravan Club and Devitt.
Left Hand Drive,
fully comp,
270 days European cover in any one year (fully comp)
300o miles annual limit (can be extended at a cost of course)

Simon we did 2600 miles in Morocco alone so if you're going over there this year you'd better up the mileage bud

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Simon we did 2600 miles in Morocco alone so if you're going over there this year you'd better up the mileage bud
Thanks Ken well spotted, I did exactly that a few weeks ago, was with Chaucer, very reasonable price, but on checking they DO NOT cover Morocco at all, so cancelled and went with Aviva via the CC and Devitt with a 7000 miles limit.
ADAC?
You going in Jan btw?

Nigel67

Free Member
Jan 26, 2013
Devon/Cornwall border
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
since 2003
Mine just came for renewal, MHF(aviva) 1995 Hymer 644 lhd. Full comp me and wife to drive, inc uk/euro breakdown . £304. Strangely £3 less than last year.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Still up in the air as to whether we are going or not. Issues with elderly outlaws, so undecided as yet.

Why is insurance a bloody jungle? I tried to join ADAC last year and they wouldn't let me pay over the phone. Cos it was last minute, I had no alternative but to go without and rely soley and the Green Card. When we got back to UK in the April there were three letters and membership cards from ADAC.

Insurers are out to trip people up, house, travel and motorhome. If you leave the house unattended for more than 30 days you're not covered. Be careful cos the buggers can access ports to check when you left/returned to UK. Better if you have rellies who can live in the house a few days each month, but then I bet they'd wriggle if you had to claim, say for a burst pipe whilst you were away.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Still up in the air as to whether we are going or not. Issues with elderly outlaws, so undecided as yet.

Why is insurance a bloody jungle? I tried to join ADAC last year and they wouldn't let me pay over the phone. Cos it was last minute, I had no alternative but to go without and rely soley e getting cover for Morocco with ADACand the Green Card. When we got back to UK in the April there were three letters and membership cards from ADAC.

Insurers are out to trip people up, house, travel and motorhome. If you leave the house unattended for more than 30 days you're not covered. Be careful cos the buggers can access ports to check when you left/returned to UK. Better if you have rellies who can live in the house a few days each month, but then I bet they'd wriggle if you had to claim, say for a burst pipe whilst you were away.
Agreed, it seems though that people are getting cover with ADAC for repatriation mainly, but as far as I can tell repatriation only covers the EU and anywhere else they MAY offer a discretionary service.

Can't find anyone that's been repatriated from Morocco to Spain, and getting towed to a garage is a discretionary 200 euro max. If this is the case it would seem doubtful if the cover is worth the hassle of trying to contact them whilst there?? Don't think anyone has a definitive answer, is ADAC worth having?

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We took the chance. The Moroccans are an erstwhile people. Im sure you could find somebody to fix or tow your van. However there are MB main agents in Casablanca and Agadir but Im afraid their rates are not dissimilar to UK MB dealers.

Suggy had his EGR valve pack in last year. He did a botch job using a coke tin which sufficed for a while, but he lost power and only just made it up the Todra Gorge. Eventually he limped back to Agadir and went to the Ford Agents. They got him the part the next day or so from Casablanca and fitted it fairly quickly. I think he'd been quoted £1000 approx over the phone but was relived when the final bill was a good deal less.

If you're going to be in Tagazhoute, Mike (Makems) has had extensive work done on his previous Rapido and also his current Burstner by Mustafa in Agadir. He did a lot of work for people, ourselves included, whilst we were there. Dazzlin had some bodywork repairs done by Mustafa and I must say they were pretty damn good job considering the small cramped premises.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Just renewed ours with Caravan Guard. Initially, Comfort beat Caravan Guard on price. Strangely, Caravan Guard managed to find a way of knocking £99 off their initial renewal price.

Despite Caravan Clubs "guarantee" to beat renewals by £25 ... they couldn't / wouldn't. I'm still awaiting an explanation from them, or will just have to put it down to false advertising. Caravan Guard - £377. Caravan Club - £508
"Close, but no cigar"

Oldfolkie

Free Member
May 28, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
What a nightmare! I seem to have spent most of today trying to sort out motorhome insurance quotes. This includes websites that demand answers from a set list that do not meet the relevant circumstances and demands to enter information that is not yet available. The most worrying thing however is that two companies, having quoted, had internal procedures whereby the sales consultant could "speak to the manager" and suddenly reduce the quote (for an unchanged product) by £100for company 1 and a massive £130 in respect of company 2. There is something really unsavoury going on here.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We are with Comfort, fully comp with van secured at another address (not registered keepers) £430 fully comp limited mileage at 10,000 pa.
The most worrying thing however is that two companies, having quoted, had internal procedures whereby the sales consultant could "speak to the manager" and suddenly reduce the quote (for an unchanged product) by £100for company 1 and a massive £130 in respect of company 2. There is something really unsavoury going on here.
Unfortunately, that is pretty standard, in fact when you phone for a quote, the first quote is very unlikely to be the best quote. I bargained the price down with 7 companies before making my final decision.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
At the NEC show Safeguard quoted me £554 (with £400 excess) for comprehensive cover, protected No Claims Bonus, including European cover and breakdown cover both at home and in Europe, for my new Hymer A-class.
Okay, so I'm an old bu**er with a pristine driving licence, but considering the value of the vehicle I reckon that's pretty good.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
With CC&C.

Swift Sundance 2007, for £241 in first year with European cover for unlimited days.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
NFU :thumb: ... I have three vehicles, motorhome, Ford Ka (toad) and a high performance Volvo all on the same policy and after a little :winky: discussion each year, they always come up with reasonable prices.
I have everything with Nfu , surprising what they can come up with , just go into the office and talk to them , don't bother with online or phone, good cover and they pay out, mine this time is £287, have two more commercials with them as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back