Should Van Bitz take deposits from "Funsters?" (1 Viewer)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have been asked this question this morning by some of my staff after a "No show" I remain resolute in a emphatic "NO" not needed.

It seems that a couple of funsters, didn't turn up for their appointment this morning, which was a Strikeback with additional accessories, and a solar panel.

That means that we have three fitters this morning, stood around with nothing to do (two for Strikeback and one for the panel)

The office has rung and been told that they are "very angry" with us :Eeek:

It would appear that they arrived next door at our camp site yesterday lunch time and booked in. Then proceeded to their marked gravelled pitch and decided to erect their drive away awning, on next doors pitch!

Our warden was out and about on his "tractor" (He loves it lol) Anyway he said that they had used "next doors" pitch.

Screams and shouts ensued (I wasn't there so don't know that much) but I cannot believe that is takes very long to erect a drive away awning, nor would it be very hard to move. However, the site is busy, and had it been left where it was, their neighbours would have had to sit on the gravelled road if they wanted to sit outside their motorhome in the sun.

So they put the awning away and left Cornish Farm.

This morning they should be at Van Bitz, so we called to see where they were, and have been told that they'd argued with the campsite warden regarding which side they wanted their drive away awning so had no intention of using Van Bitz for their alarm or solar panel:Eeek:

It would be funny if we weren't so busy and have a waiting list for urgent works, where we could have helped other people. Even if they had had the decency to advise us yesterday lunchtime that they no longer wanted the works carried out we could have arranged something. Actually had they advised us that they were unhappy on the campsite, we could have parked them on Van Bitz pitches with water and hook up.

I wouldn't be happy to sit in the road because some one refused to move a drive away awning off my pitch:Angry:

Eddie

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Once bitten twice shy Eddie... I would ask for a deposit. In my business I now ask for payment in advance due to people not paying their invoices. Too small an amount to take to court but a loss for my small business.

Take a 5% or 10% deposit. Any genuine customer would understand.

The only "excuse" (and it isn't an excuse I just can't think of a better word) would be which side the habitation door sits - probably easily solved by driving in rather than reversing and not a major issue I would have thought. For a one night stay I wouldn't have bothered with the awning but hey ho.......

Last edited:

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Absolutely take a deposit, business is business. Name 'em and shame 'em HERE says I:ROFLMAO:

Consider 10% of estimated invoice value (with £50 minimum) is not unreasonable in business.

Regards, Bryan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
You are kind enough to offer discounts ..... not to be taken for an idiot.. which I know you are not.

Take a deposit ... at the end of the day you are in business ... giving a discount is one thing, losing money because of your kindness is another thing altogether.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That just shows you should take a deposit from everyone.

Its a pretty poor show letting you down like that.:Angry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Eddie..

the same people, or like them, are those that slag off wardens and in particular CC wardens..

They are never in the wrong.. and all wardens are hitlers.. :Doh:

anyway.. I would go with the previous advice.. take a deposit.. you are not a charity.. at least not the last time I checked you web page.. :winky:

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Having been there for work recently, theres no point in puting up a drive away if you know your van is in the workshop the next day, seems to me that they were looking for an excuse not to part with there money.

From my own perspective, lifes to short to worry where your going to site a tent:ROFLMAO:

Eddie and his team work hard to give good old fashioned service:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Eddie - to lighten the mood, is it possible to post your Rules for Cornish Farm?

My wife and I were in stitches when we read them.

They were so written by you:ROFLMAO:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hello.
You have given me superb advice on three matters for FREE,thus saving me upwards of £2250. PLEASE rethink your position,just the standing charges alone for your site/equipment,staff,must cost a pretty penny,so,DEPOSIT.
We wish you every success for the future and when the "Technology" has caught up with the new Astra Footprint,will be down to take advantage of your company.Pay a DEPOSIT ? Gladly.
Tea Bag

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I would be inclined to ask for a deposit on the goods supplied to be fitted. to the tune of what you have or would have had to pay for said goods..

At the end of the day you are a business,,,, and stock bought in is dead money,,,, and no business in this day and age can work like that without some sort of back lash further down the line... just my opinion.. :Smile:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Sad:Am I having deja vu or didn't a similar thread to this appear once before?

If so, then it is proof that a deposit should be taken ..

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
you are kind enough to offer discounts ..... [hi]not to be taken for an idiot.. Which i know you are not[/hi].

Take a deposit ... At the end of the day you are in business ... Giving a discount is one thing, losing money because of your kindness is another thing altogether.

crawler..

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We ALWAYS ask, when booking any work, if the trader/dealer/garage would like something 'up front', it's only common decency when you book work. Apart from the stated situation, other non planned upsets could happen, like losing the wife. :clap:
*Funsters* or not, charge a deposit mate, then at least your covered. :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Deposits and even full payment are the way forward. Don't judge everybody by your own standards.
I've known people book three meets or 5 different campsites with only ever an intention of going to 1 and taking the place of others who can't then go.

Shame them i say...let's see if there's another side to the story so we can kick this thread off and have a proper scrap or rolling ruck :Cool:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Once a week it happens here at least.

"Yes, that`s a good estimate , can i book it in next week" they say.

Then no sign of them, they don`t answer the phone:Angry:

I double book most days now , so i am at full speed if they all turn up or taking it easy if some don`t :thumb:

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Take a deposit, if you're booking to have work done that involves a cost to fitter/supplier I personally have no problem paying a deposit. I had a white goods shop once and it certainly opened my eyes to the awful way that people will use and abuse you even when you're trying to offer a good old fashioned service. Unfortunately it's a sign of the times.:Sad:
Name and shame them too.

Paul

OP
OP
eddie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Van Bitz are always very busy, so taking deposits adds another layer of trouble. 99% of everything we sell is always in stock anyway.

Frankly I am glad in a way that they didn't show.

If they are that bloody unreasonable that they kick off because their drive away awning is on some one else's pitch (our pitches are all clearly marked so the layout is obvious) and they're that self centred that they don't see the need to cancel an appointment the following day, because they have thrown their toys out of their pram, I have to ask do I want them as Van Bitz customers? :swear:

I posted really to show that people are people, not all business's are bad and not all customers are angels :pray:

However, it is very very rare to be let down by a Funster :thumb:

OP
OP
eddie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Deposits and even full payment are the way forward. Don't judge everybody by your own standards.
I've known people book three meets or 5 different campsites with only ever an intention of going to 1 and taking the place of others who can't then go.

Shame them i say...let's see if there's another side to the story so we can kick this thread off and have a proper scrap or rolling ruck :Cool:

I can't name and shame as I don't know their user names. The other problem is that Van Bitz actively support Motorhome FUN. If and when people ask for discount we politely refuse and then ask them if their members of Motorhome FUN

The either say "Yes" or "We're members of Facts" (to which we laugh) and either way advise them to join, pay a Tenner and get an exclusive 10% discount.

So thinking about it they may have been "Opportunist Funsters" :ROFLMAO:

Anyway on the bright side, there is always plenty to do, so the guys will get on with other stuff, which means by Friday afternoon we'll be cruising into the Bank Holiday Weekend :Cool:

Eddie

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Catch 22 Eddie me cuddly “tight head” prop.

There is always the other side of the coin..

I know when I made an order with a supplier and we agreed in writing what I needed doing and agreed a price in writing, only to be disappointed in the extreme. All the work was not completed, some damage (which was not mentioned at the time) and parts missing, only to be delivered at a later date by ‘chucking’ them over my garden fence.

Another time I booked an appointment for work to be done, got there they had forgotten and I was less than impressed.

So sometimes it’s not always the customer who is on the wrong.
What’s the answer?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

I know when I made an order with a supplier and we agreed in writing what I needed doing and agreed a price in writing, only to be disappointed in the extreme. All the work was not completed, some damage (which was not mentioned at the time) and parts missing, only to be delivered at a later date by ‘chucking’ them over my garden fence.

Another time I booked an appointment for work to be done, got there they had forgotten and I was less than impressed.

What’s the answer?

SO, it was you then?? SHAME young Shift, sticking your awning on someone else's pitch! :winky:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009

[HI]What’s the answer?[[/HI]/QUOTE]

Make sure you get a deposit off Munchie... :winky::RollEyes::Blush::thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Let this be a lesson to all of us.

Just because someone pays a tenner and becomes a member of this forum it doesn't make them a decent, well mannered, considerate human being.

Ask for full cost in advance and then give them their 10% when they arrive for the work to be done. :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

PS. A drive away awning?

What's that all about?

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
SO, it was you then?? SHAME young Shift, sticking your awning on someone else's pitch! :winky:

Tell you want Tootles, having Spoken to Eddie no Bitz, he sounds a decent bloke (well apart from being an English Rugby supporter), I can well imagine his staff do a good professional job, tidy workshop, professional staff, fully trained and with the clout to fix things when or of they go wrong.

Jeeze, I am prasising RFU Nuber 1 FAN...:Doh:

One a serious note, there are as far as I am concerned only two types of dealers, those who are professional and the others who are for the use of a better term, cowboys who have jumped on the bandwaggon.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
There are these on this thread looking , or sweating , come on , own up :ROFLMAO:

oner8888, Bellini, eddievanbitz, tomm2, Vlad The Impaler, big bertha, arao99, olley, janveg, Waves, ShiftZZ, Ninovan, haganap, pandj, JJ, catspyjamas, lefthandrive, SomeoneElse, Chris, Bluemooner, andyman, Rapido925M, Robinhood, CaravanFreak, REKERLY, Gooney, TheBig1, Richgj, Encantador, rolyk

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
There are these on this thread looking , or sweating , come on , own up :ROFLMAO:

oner8888, Bellini, eddievanbitz, tomm2, Vlad The Impaler, big bertha, arao99, olley, janveg, Waves, ShiftZZ, Ninovan, haganap, pandj, JJ, catspyjamas, lefthandrive, SomeoneElse, Chris, Bluemooner, andyman, Rapido925M, Robinhood, CaravanFreak, REKERLY, Gooney, TheBig1, Richgj, Encantador, rolyk

Shiftzz..............:thumb:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just because someone pays a tenner and becomes a member of this forum it doesn't make them a decent, well mannered, considerate human being.

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Shiftzz..............:thumb:

You recon ?
Does that mean he is in for punishment at a meeting --

Who will administer the lashes, a RV owner , or a Burstner owner, that would really hurt:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back