Inflatable awning tubes be carefull when inflating (1 Viewer)

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Please note if you have ANY inflatable type awning as it will apply to all

=====================================

Important Information Regarding Inflation of the Oxygen Air Frame Awning Range
The Second Generation Oxygen Air Frame was brought to the market in October 2013; it is the most robust air frame on the market; the following instructions will ensure you enjoy the product fully.
The valve that the Oxygen Air Frame uses is called the Dynamic Speed Valve (DSV). This valve has been taken directly from the Marine Industry and is used in Lifeboats, Dinghy’s and Kayaks, etc. it is the easiest, quickest and most reliable valve on the market. Deflation is the push of a button and inflation is a speedy process using the included double action pump.
Every single air tube has been tested, by the factory, prior to being inserted into the Oxygen Sleeve, to 7Psi; however, this is purely to test the tube for leaks, and durability, we have now been informed that the Oxygen air-tube must not be inflated to this pressure, and allowances MUST be made for fluctuations in air pressure.
Air pressure increases when air is warmer. Therefore, we recommend that the maximum that the Oxygen Air Frame is inflated to is 2 PSI, this allows for any increases in air pressure on hot days.
Inflate the Oxygen air tube only until the awning frame is upright, approximately 2PSI, do not over inflate, the frame should be able to be easily ‘squeezed’ in the hand; if the tube is ‘solid’ and you are unable to squeeze it at all, please let some air out, this will allow for an increase in ‘air volume’, as the air inside the tube expands on warm days.
To check the PSI of the Oxygen Air Frame, pump it up until it feels firm but with some room for more air, as shown in picture 3, then whilst the pump is connected to the valve, bring the plunger to half way as demonstrated in picture 1 then apply a little amount of pressure downwards on the plunger but not enough pressure to push the plunger down, then look at the PSI measuring device. If it reads more than 2 PSI, you must take air out, if it is between 1.5 and 2 PSI there is ample air in the Oxygen Air Frame. Picture 2 shows an over pumped Oxygen Air Frame – Failure to follow these instructions will invalidate the manufacturer’s warranty*

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I take it that one or more have exploded??

Sort of "Oh look George, the awning just blew up, and catapulted mother over the toilet block"
:RollEyes:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Does the same edict apply to the Vango and Kampa range of inflatable awnings?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Seems to me these "good idea" awnings have not been very well developed. Clearly they need a safety valve.

And if they collapse in wind when they are presumably over inflated what is going to happen when hardly inflated.

AVOID is a word that comes to mind.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Given that the recommendation is that the awning is inflated to a pressure which allows for any increases in air pressure on hot days, I would have thought so. The max PSI might be different but the principle that "the frame should be able to be easily ‘squeezed’ in the hand" will still hold good won't it?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just been out to check my Kampa pump and gauge, (yes I am one of those who thought they were a good idea!!) it is ranged 0-13 PSI

Not sure the gauge will be accurate enough to define 2 PSI, or that 2PSI will keep it upright

As said above and posted by me before, the corners have a mind of their own in a light breeze with plenty of air, not sure they will stay up at all with that little air

Not really sure how the manufacturers will know how much air has been in them if they fail, maybe a much better solution would be that the manufacturers issue a pressure relief valve to fit to remove the risk

The pump has a pressure gauge but it is not
possible to over inflate the awning with the
pump supplied. An ideal inflation pressure will
be between 9 -11 psi but do not worry too much.

Just lifted above from my Kampa instructions downloaded when purchased, they do not come with written instructions!! I now have to hope the OP did not refer to Kampa

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Read as:
Some halfwit didn't follow the instructions, got hurt, went to a "no win no fee" solicitor etc etc

For those with a reasonable IQ, can read printed English, and have morals / standards and scruples - the warning need not apply :winky:

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Just been out to check my Kampa pump and gauge, (yes I am one of those who thought they were a good idea!!) it is ranged 0-13 PSI

Not sure the gauge will be accurate enough to define 2 PSI, or that 2PSI will keep it upright

As said above and posted by me before, the corners have a mind of their own in a light breeze with plenty of air, not sure they will stay up at all with that little air

Not really sure how the manufacturers will know how much air has been in them if they fail, maybe a much better solution would be that the manufacturers issue a pressure relief valve to fit to remove the risk

The pump has a pressure gauge but it is not
possible to over inflate the awning with the
pump supplied. An ideal inflation pressure will
be between 9 -11 psi but do not worry too much.

Just lifted above from my Kampa instructions downloaded when purchased, they do not come with written instructions!! I now have to hope the OP did not refer to Kampa

I'm guessing someone got bored using the manufacturers supplied pump and decided to use an electric type pump

Picard-facepalm-o.gif

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Seems to me these "good idea" awnings have not been very well developed. Clearly they need a safety valve.

And if they collapse in wind when they are presumably over inflated what is going to happen when hardly inflated.

Sound advice for as was said earlier, how on earth do you measure 2psi? Is there such a measure? And they will refute any claims if it is over inflated, so the first question they will ask is how did you measure it was 2psi of less. This is one of this heads you lose, tails we win scenarios. Selling something not fit for purpose comes to mind, it needs a better design, and the safety valve suggested by Brian seems the simplest solution. What's the betting they can't make one for 2psi?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I stand corrected, someone does make a 2psi safety valve. http://keenmanufacturing.com/presrlf.htm

bad idea..

The trouble with fitting a 2psi relief valve is when it gets hot it will piss air out.. then when it cools... tube collapses.. :Doh:

That's why it's not fitted..

The tubes are designed to take a much higher pressure .. just like tyres.. so when they get hot the pressure rise is within the operating pressure of the tube..

So if inflated cold to 2psi there will be no problems.. you wouldn't fit a PRV to a tyre.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

It will apply to all inflatable tube awnings, another point to make is make sure the tubes are full zipped up and if the tube is exposed it has no support and could pop, just like a bikes inner tube would.

Pressures might be different but the 'squeeze' test is applicable

Peter

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
We have the 'awning' referred to - ours is the porch version for our quick stops.
It really is quite easy to inflate to 2psi, correctly - it is a lot of volume but little pressure and at 2psi the inflation 'hoop' is well inflated and really stable - the supplied pump has a gauge to do this.

We had a sheet slipped in the box stating the pressures not to be exceeded (2psi) and the vitally important issues about not un-zipping the inflation tube sleeves when inflated. Our local MoHo dealer had just that happen to the display model, the zip was opened by a customer a few inches (Lord knows why) which then the zip proceeded the rest of the way round the arch on its own and the inner inflation tube, though didn't burst, it did pop out into the porch.
The recommended 'fix' is to use a small cable tie to attach both the zips together so any opening action would be immediately followed by the closing action of the other zip actuator - Job done.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Now what a question, the answer is in the 'squeeze' just think back to your teenager days and what did you do in the back row of the cinema or in the car:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

Peter, there are peeps on here who cant even remember what they ate for lunch!! ::bigsmile:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Now what a question, the answer is in the 'squeeze' just think back to your teenager days and what did you do in the back row of the cinema or in the car:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

Pete,
if my memory serves me right, anything, as in your example, below a guestimated 5psi would be discounted once the popcorn was for sale by disappearing at that point.

However, 2psi NOW would be a blessing, totally deflated or potentially punctured is now the norm.
:roflmto:

Trikeman. :winky:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Motorcycle trials never inflate much past 6-8 psi

Air pressure guage

Broken Link Removed

Not a huge amount of money, cheaper around I am sure.

Probably a good investment. But sound advice from Peter as usual. :thumb::thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would be very surprised if 2PSI proved sufficient to keep these 'air' awning up and rigid, even in hot weather. We have good quality inflatable kayaks (Gumotex) and they are tough and need to be pumped up quite hard so that we can only just give them a squeeze.::bigsmile:

I was aware of the warning not to open the tube sleeves on these awning though, as they are what give the 'beams their strength. It begs the question what did the numpty who unzipped one think would happen ... that it'd go whizzing around like a balloon! :Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
even at 7psi i cant see it causing any physical bodily injury if it did burst....bit of a bang maybe, but a balloon goes with a bang.

Kevc

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Compact Leisure vehicle
Exp
Since 2011
The exact same question I asked at one of the inflatable stands at the NEC this year, and was told by the sales guy it wouldn't be an issue.
I then tried to Explain to him it is known as Boyle's Law, and that is the pressure inside a vessel increases with temperature. And was told they would be fine.

Ah well, thankfully didn't rush in to a purchase :Eeek:

Kev

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Vango Response

On reading the OP I was concerned that my Vango Keela had this problem so contacted them re. this thread.
Vango pumps have an integrated pressure relief valve set at 7 psi so that the beams cannot be over inflated. The 7 psi is essential in order for the awning to resist high winds and I have first hand experience of this. The pump has a pressure gauge showing a maximum of 5 psi which proved to be insufficient to withstand high winds, then I read the instructions:Doh: and pumped till the pressure relief valve actuated at 7psi, stable awning:Smile:
The OP raised my concern over large rises in ambient temperature after inflation and if the Vango tubes were temperature tested.
Vango claim to have temperature tested their air beam awnings to 40degrees C but I suspect that the beams were inflated at 40 degrees C, so not a test of a rise in ambient temperature.
I would love to know if the beams have been burst tested, or if the pressure vessel regulations apply to these products.
Not the end of the story yet I'm sure.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Inflatables!

Thanks for the info. I have a Vango inflatable tent with a psi of 5 recommended by the manufacturer and I'm assuming this allows for the necessary variance!!!

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years

An Avon inflatable doesn't have a safety valve.:Eeek:

It looks like the manufacturers haven't considered what would happen if stupid people buy them :ROFLMAO:

Jul 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
swift
I take it that one or more have exploded??

Sort of "Oh look George, the awning just blew up, and catapulted mother over the toilet block"
:RollEyes:
I would be very surprised if 2PSI proved sufficient to keep these 'air' awning up and rigid, even in hot weather. We have good quality inflatable kayaks (Gumotex) and they are tough and need to be pumped up quite hard so that we can only just give them a squeeze.::bigsmile:

I was aware of the warning not to open the tube sleeves on these awning though, as they are what give the 'beams their strength. It begs the question what did the numpty who unzipped one think would happen ... that it'd go whizzing around like a balloon! :Doh:
I wonder why they don't use rubber tubes. Definitely more durable in my mind. It has got to be for cost reasons. The vinyl, pvc. Whatever it's called is truthfully just twopence halfpenny rubbish. There are lots of unsatisfied customers of air awnings on other forums.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back