Free Member
May 16, 2014
Ware
Funster No
MH
swift
Exp
since 2011
Hello everyone. I'm taking our motorhome to a festival this year & wondered whether anyone has a recommendation for a ggod 12v hairdryer as we wont have mains hookup & the thought of not being able to blowdry :cry:

Thanks in advance.

Zooky

Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
Hairdryers

We bought a hair drier and straightners from eBay
Paid about £9 each. Not fantastic but do the job

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hello everyone. I'm taking our motorhome to a festival this year & wondered whether anyone has a recommendation for a ggod 12v hairdryer as we wont have mains hookup & the thought of not being able to blowdry :cry:

Thanks in advance.

Zooky

There is no such thing as a 'good' 12v hairdryer. You're much better off running a low wattage 240v travel hairdryer (say 800W) off an inverter. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
12V hairdriers are great if you want to take the chill of a piece of chocolate before popping it in your mouth as they will not cause it to melt completely, thereby avoiding messy fingers. :ROFLMAO:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Sticking your head out the passengers door window at 40mph usually does the trick:ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

Thanks in advance.

Zooky
you would get better results starting the engine and using the fan in the dashboard than with a 12v toy hairdrier

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Festival and hair drier ?? :Eeek:

somehow i think not :roflmto:

mud-at-music-festival.jpg

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
After lot of research, as others have said, there is it seems no such thing as a good 12v hairdryer, or even a useful 12v hairdryer.

However, 12v hair straighteners do a very good job.

No use for my folically-challenged bonce, but Sharon was very pleased with her 12v pressie. :thumb:

Or apparently, if you have blown air heating, a dyson hose fits the circular air vent quite nicely for a make-shift hair dryer ::bigsmile:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
There is no such thing as a 'good' 12v hairdryer. You're much better off running a low wattage 240v travel hairdryer (say 800W) off an inverter. :Smile:

What she said!

Don't wast your money on a 12v hair dryer, they are more than a waste of space. I went down the 1000w inverter wired into the alternator route. Or at least I did until We sold the van with it all still attached :Doh:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Maz and Jimothy speak not with forked tongues! Inverter is the way forwards, but run the engine at the same time!! :thumb:

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
After lot of research, as others have said, there is it seems no such thing as a good 12v hairdryer, or even a useful 12v hairdryer.

However, 12v hair straighteners do a very good job.

No use for my folically-challenged bonce, but Sharon was very pleased with her 12v pressie. :thumb:

[HI]Or apparently, if you have blown air heating, a dyson hose fits the circular air vent quite nicely for a make-shift hair dryer [/HI]::bigsmile:

Absolutely right, would not be without it, not just for mrs emmenay's hair, but I also have a 18" piece of pipe, blanked at one end and holes drilled along it, which is now a clothes dryer when laid across the top of an airer.
Or in winter time can be a bed warmer :ROFLMAO:

sandrae

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Glastonbury
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Long time
Knowing how close you are parked next to the adjacent vans at festivals running the engine to dry your hair will not make you the most popular neighbour! :Smile:

Dry your hair naturally and use gas curlers or straighteners if you must.:thumb:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Bosch used to do a battery/gas portable hair dryer, very popular with dog show participants apparently. I did a quick search but couldn’t find any more info. Missus has their gas curling tongs which she says are good.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Maz and Jimothy speak not with forked tongues! Inverter is the way forwards, but run the engine at the same time!! :thumb:

You only need to run the engine if you have the inverter wired to the engine battery. My inverter is wired to the leisure batteries which get topped up by the solar panels. Running an 800W hairdryer for 5 mins uses just over 6Ah - which is quickly replaced if you have solar. :Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As with Maz above. WE both have hair so two doses of the hairdryer each day.

1200w hairdryer, 1.5Kw inverter, 2x125Ah batteries, 400w solar. Recharges in no time if the sun shines, and if it doesn't we will be driving to where it does ::bigsmile:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
As with Maz above. WE both have hair so two doses of the hairdryer each day.

1200w hairdryer, 1.5Kw inverter, 2x125Ah batteries, 400w solar. Recharges in no time if the sun shines, and if it doesn't we will be driving to where it does ::bigsmile:

Ditto...ish. I only use one of the cheap inverters, pure sine wave not required for this application IMO.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
An effective 12v hair dryer does seem like the Holy Grail of motorhoming. The first person to invent one would have the world beat a path to their door...

In the meantime - does a cheap inverter of the type mentioned by Maz etc have to be wired in? Or can they just plug into one of the 12v sockets?

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
An effective 12v hair dryer does seem like the Holy Grail of motorhoming. The first person to invent one would have the world beat a path to their door...

In the meantime - does a cheap inverter of the type mentioned by Maz etc have to be wired in? Or can they just plug into one of the 12v sockets?

The inverters that can be plugged into a 12v socket are limited to around 200W. To run a 800W hairdryer you would need at least a 1kW inverter which would normally be wired in (mine is). I'm not sure if you could get away with using crocodile clips direct onto the battery instead tho'. (I'm thinking of the tyre compressor that I use - that is too powerful to run from a cigarette lighter socket so uses crocodile clips.) Someone will probably know if this is possible with an inverter too ....

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Gas tongs/straighteners are the simplest option:thumb:.

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
They're made by Babyliss and Braun and boots do own brand. Available at boots, Argos etc.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I bought a basic hair dryer from Tesco, though not 12 v, it's quite low on the wattage, sadly I just can't remember what it is, (possibly 500 watt) but it was around a fiver and does the job:thumb:

Margaret

p.s. I'm the one with the hair, sadly Bill's has long gone.....

Last edited:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009

definitely not lighter socket; as stated will draw quite a lot of power so 16mm2 cable required plus 120 W fuse. Run from battery to inverter should be as short as possible to prevent loss. Check ebay for 1500 watt inverter, usually about £40.00. Full install approx £60.00. Should run a cheap dryer with ease.

OP
OP
Z

zooky

Free Member
May 16, 2014
Ware
Funster No
MH
swift
Exp
since 2011
Festival and hair drier ?? :Eeek:

somehow i think not :roflmto:

mud-at-music-festival.jpg

Thought this might prompt some good funny answers ::bigsmile: If for one second i thought i looked like this without blow drying, i really would mind too much!

However... I'm liking the idea of the Inverter. Are they quite easy to fit? Our batteries are under one of the long sofa seats, would it mean lifting this each time we wanted to use the inverter?

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have one free to a good home. And as a Kiwi that should tell you something, whether it is worthwhile getting one, as I give nothing away.
Don't waist ya time or money according to the wife and even I had to agree.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I assume that the £40 ones on Ebay are not pure sine wave.

Does that mean that hair dryers do not need pure sine wave output? Can anybody explain to me what needs pure sine wave. I have heard tell that rechargeable toothbrushes won't. What else? How about rechargeable shavers? Or a laptop with usual external power supply?

Seems to me that £40 to use a hair dryer for 10 minutes once every three days (wife not me!) is not a bad price to pay.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
In my very limited knowledge, I concur, you are right. Hairdryer, toothbrush, shaver etc no need for pure sinewave. Laptop, phones, gps gadgets better off with pure sinewave. Not sure about TV's but we run ours off a bog standard 400w inverter and nothing drastic has happened yet.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
In my very limited knowledge, I concur, you are right. Hairdryer, toothbrush, shaver etc no need for pure sinewave. Laptop, phones, gps gadgets better off with pure sinewave. Not sure about TV's but we run ours off a bog standard 400w inverter and nothing drastic has happened yet.

I am OK with 12v for most things - TV, tablet and phone charging, lighting etc. The only two things I am struggling with is the hairdryer and charger for our electric bikes. If I can solve those I reckon we could go without EHUs for long periods with the 200W of solar power we have.

So I suppose my question to the experts out there is could a cheap 1500W modified sine wave converter do for both of those?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back