First weekend away - Norfolk (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We shall pick up our first MH tomorrow and intend to take it away next weekend. Can anyone suggest a suitable quiet location in Norfolk (bearing in mind it will be bank holiday weekend). We don't belong to any clubs so assume that the certificated sites aren't available to us. We live just east of Norwich so somewhere north of Norwich would be handy. Just looking for somewhere to test everything out without hundreds of onlookers. Of course that does not include any Funsters who may be sympathetic.

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Close friend recommended the following when we were there last bank holiday

Campsite brancaster
http://www.deepdalefarm.co.uk

Nice pub/restaurant - also jolly sailor in Brancaster for ok pizza, but White Horse is better http://www.whitehorsebrancaster.co.uk

Good breakfast
http://www.villagedelithornham.com

We didn't use them as took the opportunity to try out britstops which were fantastic.
Also
Holkham hall great day out and you can cycle around the grounds. We parked in the "holkham beach" carpark whilst visiting holkham hall, then closed all the blinds at the end of the day and showered and changed before moving off again. Loved it!
If visiting holkham get there early, car park fills up as beach is incredible

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
First night

We have had many good times in our Motor Home at 'Forest Park' at CROMER. Tele: 01263 513290

We were there last weekend and we paid £ 16.50 per night including electric.

There is a well stocked shop on siite, as well as a social club which does food and provides entertainment at weekends.

The site is approx. a 15 mins walk into Cromer.

Denise & Steve :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We like Searles at Hunstanton, everything on site including good entertainment and very good location near the sea front.
Also Pinewoods at Wells, not cheap but a great location for walks in the dunes and beach as well as the shops :thumb:
Might be worth joining the Caravan Club for their CLs and they also have some quality sites.
The Camping and Caravanning Club also offer more choice.
Also www.campingintheforest.co.uk is worth a look.
Good luck with your motorhome , exiting times ahead :thumb:

BTW we also are east of Norwich .

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ always useful as you can specify all sorts of things.
And you dont have to be a member to use a lot of the cl/cs sites although the cc ones are a bit stricter. A lot of them are just affiliated so they can use the club name on their advert.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Woodhill West/East Runton, on the main road into Cromer, not noisy, cliff path to Cromer, lovely bakers in Cromer strawberry turnovers well worth going for. pub as you go into Cromer if my memory serves me right, some years since I have been , hoping to go there in June.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Top tip........

When you are there, if you hear banjos, then start paddling a lot faster!:winky:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We're having a night away in Norfolk tomorrow and also sampling the delights of what is supposed to be one of the top Fish Restaurants in the country....:thumb:

Apr 22, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Eight wonderful years!
Definitely advise joining CC and having access to their CLs. (Some CLs don't ask for CC membership number others do.) The CL network is amazing (around 2500). They do vary enormously from fields with no facilities (except tap and loo emptying) to really posh loo blocks, hard standing and EHU. Costs usually around £12 pn. We would never dream of staying on a "proper" site with dozens of other outfits paying £30 pn but we are all different!!! In Norfolk we can recommend two CLs - Pentney Abbey and Snettisham Park - Both grass but very dry, loo block and EHU. Have fun!

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Definitely advise joining CC and having access to their CLs. (Some CLs don't ask for CC membership number others do.) The CL network is amazing (around 2500). They do vary enormously from fields with no facilities (except tap and loo emptying) to really posh loo blocks, hard standing and EHU. Costs usually around £12 pn. We would never dream of staying on a "proper" site with dozens of other outfits paying £30 pn but we are all different!!! In Norfolk we can recommend two CLs - Pentney Abbey and Snettisham Park - Both grass but very dry, loo block and EHU. Have fun!
That's interesting because our experience of the latter mentioned CL was very poor.
We stayed there one New Year's Eve, just for the one night.
When I phoned to book they insisted on being paid there and then by card.
When we arrived there was no-one to meet us or show us around and the field was a quagmire.
Yes it had a loo etc but we got the distinct impression that it was just a business (or an extension of one) and that no-one really gave a monkey's whether you enjoyed your stay or not.
That was some 7 - 8 years ago though so maybe its improved since then.

Apr 22, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Eight wonderful years!
That's interesting because our experience of the latter mentioned CL was very poor.
We stayed there one New Year's Eve, just for the one night.
When I phoned to book they insisted on being paid there and then by card.
When we arrived there was no-one to meet us or show us around and the field was a quagmire.
Yes it had a loo etc but we got the distinct impression that it was just a business (or an extension of one) and that no-one really gave a monkey's whether you enjoyed your stay or not.
That was some 7 - 8 years ago though so maybe its improved since then.

We have stayed there twice for a couple of nights - 2012 and 2013. It is part of the farm/deer park and we may well have paid when we booked, but the field was fine and the staff were lovely!!

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We have stayed there twice for a couple of nights - 2012 and 2013. It is part of the farm/deer park and we may well have paid when we booked, but the field was fine and the staff were lovely!!
I guess we must have just been unlucky then.

stevie28

Free Member
May 16, 2014
peterborough
Funster No
MH
transit self build
Exp
anywhere in north norfolk is lovely!!.
siffkey is nice, but with no hookups.
pinewoods, for the location.
just take your pick.
they will all be busy for the bank holiday thou!!!.
enjoy.

Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
How about Breck Farm next door to Kelling Heath? They can usually fit you in even on a bank hol weekend. Not posh but very relaxed, and if you don't need ehu you can choose where you park. Bonus is you can also have a campfire if you are that way inclined. We also like the small site at whitewall and Reepham railway, just outside Reepham. It's not only for camping and caravan club members by the way. I don't think there's ehu though, but it's very quiet and again you choose where you camp. We used this site last year for one of our first outings and in the morning were visited by a small deer which ran through the site and seemed totally oblivious to our presence!

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
I hope you have a great time, wherever you decide to go! exciting, isn't it?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
waxham sands is nice, can be very busy on bank hols though great beach and miles of dunes lots of seals on the sandbanks at low tide

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Me and the missis took a drive from cromer to hunstanton, scoping out wild camping spots yesterday, we would have reccomended salthouse, but its been washed out literally. Loads of nice beaches some you have to pay for from £2.50 to £4 for the day and then you will have to move off as they dont allow overnight camping, we stopped of at the stiffkey site, its £9 pitch fee and £5 a person at the minute, nice toilet block (dying to go so we made a point of asking about the site so we could have alook around:winky:)

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
How about Breck Farm next door to Kelling Heath? They can usually fit you in even on a bank hol weekend. Not posh but very relaxed, and if you don't need ehu you can choose where you park. Bonus is you can also have a campfire if you are that way inclined. We also like the small site at whitewall and Reepham railway, just outside Reepham. It's not only for camping and caravan club members by the way. I don't think there's ehu though, but it's very quiet and again you choose where you camp. We used this site last year for one of our first outings and in the morning were visited by a small deer which ran through the site and seemed totally oblivious to our presence!

Great choice, we're full timers and stay here quite a lot, you are correct in saying there is no EHU, there is a toilet block down at the station but not on the actual site, not sure about the bit about not only for camping and caravan club members as it is actually licensed through them as a CS site, but there are area's that possibly do not come under the CS site area so to speak as they also allow rallies etc, you are right about the deer have seen it myself as well as the badgers in the woods. For any motorcaravan novices if I'm here at the time I'll all way's offer any help I can to get you sorted. It is certainly worth a look https://www.whitwellstation.com/ who know's I might even organise a rally here at some point

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
site

Hi
try old brick kilns Barney its a best of British and has adults only pitches if needed
very clean site
Regards
Paul:Smile:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Hi
try old brick kilns Barney its a best of British and has adults only pitches if needed
very clean site
Regards
Paul:Smile:

Bit out of my comfort zone that one , not exactly cheap with a minimum pitch fee of £17 per night in the low season plus extra's such as fee for awning, another for dogs,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back