Hankook RA18s and metal valves (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I'm awaiting a reply from Hankook about the requirement to have metal valves with their RA18 tyres. Have any Funsters with RA18s felt the need to have these fitted? I know it is about inflation pressures but I've not been advised what these should be yet. Max axle weights of 1750kg front and 1900kg rear. On 215/70 R15 tyres. Thanks

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have hankook RA08s fitted with metal valves and just started To replace to RA18 tyres ,the garage I use said as I had metal valves fitted it had saved me a few quid:Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have hankook RA08s fitted with metal valves and just started To replace to RA18 tyres ,the garage I use said as I had metal valves fitted it had saved me a few quid:Smile:
Poor advise:Doh:
Tyre valves are as important as tyres and should be changed every time a tyre is
The very least we would be happy with is a new valve stem insert

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I'm awaiting a reply from Hankook about the requirement to have metal valves with their RA18 tyres. Have any Funsters with RA18s felt the need to have these fitted? I know it is about inflation pressures but I've not been advised what these should be yet. Max axle weights of 1750kg front and 1900kg rear. On 215/70 R15 tyres. Thanks

no reason why any tubeless tyre isnt fitted with metal valves .
if going to the sunnier climates rubber ones soon perish.
i have had several pop while in maroc .
must say i have rubber on the trailer wheels but will be changing them over withe next new tyres .they only run at low pressures .

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years

Bolt-in metal valve stems do not perish in the sun. Unlike rubber ones that do. Worth considering over and above anything else.

But surely the information you seek is based upon tyre pressures. High pressure - use metal valve stems. Lower pressure - still use metal valve stems because it's only a few quid more!

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Good point Sydney. Better to be over-engineered than under. I must admit I'd never heard of metal valves before I joined this site.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My son Paul inadvertently snapped a metal valve stem trying to undue the dust cap.. and this was on a 22 inch RV wheel.... (think coach size)

We were checking pressures as you do and the dust cap was jammed ... I went to find a pair of pliers and then I heard wooooooooooooooooshh.. :Eeek:

Fortunately I carried a spare and had it replaced in no time.. well that was after removing the wheel and breaking the tyre seal on the rim... lesson learned.. let dad show you.. :roflmto:

By the time we were finished we had a crowd of French campers giving advice.. one of them was very helpful.. as I removed the wheel he came forward and handed me a tyre (not sure of the correct name) tyre seal breaking bar ? .. like a crow bar with a sliding sleeve to whack down and break the bead..

When finished we said thanks and invited them over for a BBQ .. another day and another friend made... :Smile:

Always carry a spare valve stem .. or two

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Bolt-in metal valve stems do not perish in the sun. Unlike rubber ones that do. Worth considering over and above anything else.

But surely the information you seek is based upon tyre pressures. High pressure - use metal valve stems. Lower pressure - still use metal valve stems because it's only a few quid more!

No they dont but unlike their Rubber counter parts they suffer from corrosion and salt.
New Tyre = new valve
It's a simple keep safe best practice tip from all the tyre manf not my personal opinion

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
No they dont but unlike their Rubber counter parts they suffer from corrosion and salt.
New Tyre = new valve
It's a simple keep safe best practice tip from all the tyre manf not my personal opinion

Yes I agree with that. But bear in mind many tyre fitters do not hold them in stock and many only have a the type that have a brass metal sleeve inside a rubber sheath. So buy your bolt-in valves before the visit them.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I have no experience of metal valves so how do I know what are good and what are not so good? Unless someones points one out and says "use this one", I have to rely on the tyre supplier.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have no experience of metal valves so how do I know what are good and what are not so good? Unless someones points one out and says "use this one", I have to rely on the tyre supplier.

Simply ask for all metal bolt in (Clamp In) high pressure tyre valves to be fitted:thumb:
if it looks like you can see any rubber when its fitted then you "May" not have the right ones
They will look similar to the pic the rubber bit is the seal and wont be seen when fitted
If they have metal dust caps I would swop them for plastic ones
I personally use all brass but that because I can get then easy enough from our tyre suppliers
Geo

Pic 2 shows a valve containing brass or metal but this is NOT high pressure as the business end inside the tyre is still rubber notice the dome shaped end in pic 1 its metal:thumb:

Attachments

• $_58.JPG
    $_58.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 29
  • $T2eC16ZHJHgE9n0yG-pjBQybc7bClw~~60_58.JPG
    $T2eC16ZHJHgE9n0yG-pjBQybc7bClw~~60_58.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
My son Paul inadvertently snapped a metal valve stem trying to undue the dust cap.. and this was on a 22 inch RV wheel.... (think coach size)

We were checking pressures as you do and the dust cap was jammed ... I went to find a pair of pliers and then I heard wooooooooooooooooshh.. :Eeek:

Fortunately I carried a spare and had it replaced in no time.. well that was after removing the wheel and breaking the tyre seal on the rim... lesson learned.. let dad show you.. :roflmto:

By the time we were finished we had a crowd of French campers giving advice.. one of them was very helpful.. as I removed the wheel he came forward and handed me a tyre (not sure of the correct name) tyre seal breaking bar ? .. like a crow bar with a sliding sleeve to whack down and break the bead..

When finished we said thanks and invited them over for a BBQ .. another day and another friend made... :Smile:

Always carry a spare valve stem .. or two
hi jim . its called a bead breaker .
i use the wind down leg of my trailer as a bead breaker if away . at home i have one like this Broken Link Removed that seems a good one be intersting what it fetches .
for tubeless truck tyres these are the best levers . Broken Link Removed but cheaper copies are available . look in agricultural shops etc .

Last edited:
OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks Geo.
I get your point about the plastic caps. Don't want an issue like ScotJimland had.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Now we have the van (now officially motorhomers!) it looks like it has metal valves fitted. But will get them changed for what little it costs. Spoke to the tyre depot this afternoon and stressed that they be all metal. He said that he had checked, seen photos etc. Should be fitted Thursday ready for our first weekend away!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back