Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have put a few notes together about buying from a dealer. Please add your tips, tricks and advice to this thread so that it becomes the definitive guide to getting a good deal and stealing food from the families of those nice motorhome salespersons

Buying a Motorhome from a Dealer
  1. Visit a show and see as many motorhomes and layouts as possible. Before you visit a dealer make a comprehensive wish list of the style and layout that that you want.
  2. The dealer will be interested in how much you want to spend, and what repayments you can afford. Tell him neither, some find this difficult, but just say “I’d rather not say” Only tell him what vehicle you want, let the sales person come up with the numbers.
  3. Be flexible. Unless you’re on a substantial budget, it’s unlikely that you’ll find everything on your wish list in one motorhome. Be prepared to compromise but make sure you search has been a thorough one before you commit. Some people spend years trying to find the perfect motorhome, all those summers tours missed!! Others rush in, then regret it. making a costly change after only a few months.
  4. See if your local dealers offer a ‘try before you buy’ service. Many do and most will knock off the cost of the hire if you subsequently buy. Hiring a motorhome, even for a weekend, will help you decide if motorhoming is for you. It’s also an opportunity to live with various layouts your ideal layout might not be so ideal in practice.
  5. Do not be afraid of insulting the dealer with a very low offer, (he will not be afraid of insulting you) You might think of yourself as a customer, however most will think of you as a victim! Most deals will finish somewhere in the middle ground so make your first offer low, the final price to pay will be somewhere between your offer and the asking price.
  6. When you do decide to buy, always buy locally if possible. You may find that the great deal 200 miles away is not so good when you have to keep making 400 mile round trips to see them if things go wrong.
  7. Always ask the dealer to demonstrate everything for you, take copious notes during the demo, or better still a video recording.
  8. You should have a comprehensive list of checks to make prior to parting with your cash. Such a list can be purchased from motorhomefun Link Removed

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
I would also add these

If your not happy with the deals on offer....walk away

Go and speak to anyone you see with their pride and joy in for servicing, ask them what the after sales service is like and how any warranty issues have been dealt with.

When you arrive to collect the vehicle (if paying by bankers draft) ask the dealers to ensure it has gas and water and a hook up connection. Spend at least 3-4 hours actually in the motorhome pressing EVERY button and checking EVERY SINGLE system works and NOTHING is broken or falling off. Check all the doors, hinges, fasteners, adjusters. Bring a car battery tester if you have one and check the leisure batteries are in good condition and are been charged both on hook up and with the engine running, ask to go for an extended test drive and make sure you drive it in reverse. If you find ANYTHING no matter how small DO NOT HAND OVER THE DRAFT until it is fixed to your COMPLETE satisfaction. Personally I would be prepared to overnight in a travel lodge for a couple of days to give them time to fix and problems if the dealer is a long way from your home. Remember "The person holding the cheque is the one in charge":thumb:

Make sure your new pride and joy will fit on your driveway :Eeek: sounds silly but it happens.

Oh yes and most of all enjoy your new baby :winky:

Upvote 0

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Always get the Dealer especially of a new vehicle to have it filled with fuel before the journey home otherwise you could need an extra £70 to £90 with you on collection day. Once you agree your price just add that you expect the tank to be full !.
If you purchase the van 300 miles away enquire first of the Dealer how any warranty works can be done. In many instances they have contacts in your area and can make the necessary contacts for you, and you want to be covered for parts failures when on your tours.

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
At the risk of offending some people on here -

can I just put in a word for the 'good' dealer who expects you to spend a week in your new vehicle, free of charge, on his site in Cornwall. :whatthe:

He expects that one of his Staff will be called upon to explain and demonstrate all the equipment at least once and possibly as many times as the customer wants. :whatthe:

He expects that one of his Staff will go out driving with you in the new vehicle as many times as you wish until you are happy that everything is in order. :whatthe:

And in the unlikely event that you break down in the warranty period, many miles away from the dealer - he will send the engineer to you WHEREVER you are! :Eeek:

I won't say who he is - most of you will know from my signature block - BUT I would like to re-iterate that not all dealers are fly-by-night operators and I, for one, would expect nothing less from ANY dealer that I bought from. :thumb:

If I wasn't offered that kind of service, I would go elsewhere - after all, every single one of our motorhomes is available from more than one source.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This thread is about getting the best deal from a dealer. No one is suggesting all dealers are "fly by night". On the contrary, we just want to discuss getting the very best deal from them. In reality a good deal has to be good for both parties. That said if we do not even try to bargain, even the very best dealers will let us pay more than they are prepared to accept:Smile:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi al one very simple rule is get what you have agreed (be it fuel mats etc,)
IN WRITING
TERRY

Upvote 0

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
and I, for one, would expect nothing less from ANY dealer that I bought from. :thumb:

If I wasn't offered that kind of service, I would go elsewhere - after all, every single one of our motorhomes is available from more than one source.

I hear what you say, Jim - which is why I was trying to be very careful in what I said so as not to appear to be advertising.

However, I disagree with your comments in as much as very, very few dealers are really worried about the kind of deal that you, as a customer, are going to get - they are only worried about themselves NOT getting a bad deal. It has to be said that no matter what deal they do with you, THEY are not going to lose out on the deal in any way whatsoever.

In the time I have been involved with RV's I have been shocked, amazed and even appalled at what some customers are told by some dealers, expect to get from some dealers and STILL GO BACK for more.

The only answer is not to "discuss" what they are willing to give you but to demand what you want - if it is a reasonable demand - and if they can't give it to you - then go somewhere else - don't simply sit back and take second-best.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
they are only worried about themselves NOT getting a bad deal. It has to be said that no matter what deal they do with you, THEY are not going to lose out on the deal in any way whatsoever.

I.

Of course they must not lose, what sort of business wants to lose money on a deal? They need to make a profit, or they won't be there when you need a service. :Smile:

But any dealer will let you pay more than he would accept, this thread is about getting the price down to the minimum that the dealer will accept.

Please keep the tips and advice coming:thumb:

Upvote 0
C

Clausentum

Deleted User
One other item that made us suspicious of the salesman's integrity was that the vehicle had a deal which included 1st year free Caravan Guard insurance. Reading the small print carefully it gave "new for old" replacement value, in fact I phoned them with the salesman present. They did confirm this was so.

The salesman was not happy as he had gone to great length to tell my family that a customer had written off their vehicle, shortly after driving away from the showroom with another story of a family who had extensive "write-off" damage in a hail storm. He also continually attempted to convince us of the need to take out their own company's "return to invoice book value" insurance policy at an additional cost of £480! Surely this sort of hard selling is a scam and regulated by the Financial Services authority?

Guess who the large dealers were?

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Dont know about it being a scam but he no doubt earnt a hefty commision for selling it, same as Payment Protection Insurance (PP!) on HP agreements

Total waste of time, extremely expensive and a REAL EARNER for dealer.

(Banned from my Dealership I might add)

Peter

Upvote 0

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Peter,

I know you offer assistance to Swift owners with problems as do some other Dealers, but as a condition of your agency do you have to do this ?. I believe some others show no interest.

Jim,

Sorry to sidestep this discussion, but it could be an interesting point, when looking around Dealers and getting their response on many makes and warranties.

David

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Peter,

I know you offer assistance to Swift owners with problems as do some other Dealers, but as a condition of your agency do you have to do this ?. I believe some others show no interest.
David

Hi David,

No it is not a condition of any MH Dealership that they have to carry out warranty work on MH's not supplied by them.

To my mind it makes common sense to help others when we can, they are all customers at the end of the day and to turn someone away when they are stuck miles from home is diabolical and ruins their holiday.

Theres enough grief in this world as it is.

Rectification of a warranty problem where another dealer is either incapable or unco-operative just adds credibilty to my dealership.

Peter

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
just bought a new to me 1998 swift 520::bigsmile:
needed a crawl through hatch in the rear so i could park beetween mine and next doors house:thumb:
been waiting 2-3 weeks still not done:Sad:
contacted dealer told him i have three weeks holiday from 01/09
he said take the van have holiday bring it back we will fit it then :whatthe:
noticed on collection shower tray hadnt been changed (small crack in the top )
as promised:Angry:
while completing the deal and the van was being washed
said to the salsman as shower tray is not yet exchanged so i will withhold £250
he said yup seems fair enough :whatthe:
and then when paperwork completed
he gave me an insurance policy that hadnt been mentiond before no charge
probably hidden in the price :winky:
to me it seems somthing for nothing
i thought little had been done till i checked round later
no sign of previous occupants anywhere trust me i looked
van inside as if never used
window on the side when we viwed had had a light roasting( from the fridge flue i assmed flue:cry:
that had been changed:thumb: i assumed it woudnt be
all in all quiet pleased ::bigsmile:
its just well would have been nice not to have to return :Doh:
but then its only 15 miles:thumb:

Upvote 0

motoroamin

Free Member
Aug 12, 2007
North Notts
Funster No
MH
As available
Exp
Involved with Caravans and Motorhomes over 15 years
The sale (or inclusion in a sale) of insurance products relative to motor vehicles is regulated by the FSA. Before any discussions commence regarding any insurance product, including 'free' warranties, extended warranties, PPI or Gap insurance, the person doing the presentation must present their Disclosure Document, which outlines the insurance products the Company is licensed to sell or administer. The person doing the presentation must also be suitably FSA qualified and should also carry out a Demands and Needs assessment with you.

Sounds onerous, but the system is designed to avoid situations where clients are pressurised into taking out unnecessary cover.

Upvote 0

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
We're not saying that we've got it right but I always made a check list of 'must have', 'would like', 'would be a bonus' and 'definitely must not have' which helped a lot.

I would suggest that you check that the water heats on both gas and electric and also that some form of heating works on both as well (why pay for hook up and then have to use gas). Check the upholstery for signs of use, often low mileage doesn't mean low useage and some cushion fillings and coverings are definitely inferior. Electric sockets (or lack of) and their positioning is also one area where we've tripped up in the past.

Also, make sure the engine is sufficient to haul the weight of the camper - doesn't do your cred any favours being overtaken by a Volvo towing a wobble box on an uphill road!!!!!!!!

Jan

Upvote 0
P

Pusser

Deleted User
While this is an excellent idea there are a few twits around and I am one who read all there is to read and on the big day ignore everything due to excitement, not wishing to be a nuisance and a belief that the nice people who have sold it to me would not dream of not checking everything out for me especially as I tell them I know nothing about anything that has wheels on.

I know that I will suffer a price premium for my lack of knowledge but I am happy to pay a higher price for something that just works straight out of the box.

But when I see that I have in effect been mugged by the dealer, in this case Elite from Banbury, who have not cared for my problems or the condition of the new motorhome I paid cash for virtually, then these people quite honestly make me sick. I am not a bitter person of course, but I do from time to time hope they are shit on from a great height by a large swan with bird flu.

Upvote 0

josielynne

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Funster No
i have an burstner argos ,,i phoned perthshire caraven scotland ,and asked them if they would do a service and any repairs ,,,they asked if i bought it their i said no,they told me they only do stuff they sell ,,well i wont be buying anything from them ,,,i would have next time if they would have helped me out ,,,,burstner should make these people service there vans or take away there franchise,,

Upvote 0

slurps2

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
wales
Funster No
My advice would be if a dealer says it got bells and whistles on it ask him / them,to prove it works.then check them for any damage .then when your happy and you got everything in writting .keep in mind if you cannot get any problems sorted out it will cost you £3,000.00 to take them to court.

Upvote 0

carpyone

Free Member
Mar 28, 2008
Needingworth, Cambs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Beware of Dealer warranties.

As a newcomer to MH I spent many a happy day and miles visiting Dealers within 100 miles. Eventually settled on the very fist van I saw. a 2006 Auto Trail Scout, 20 months old.. Manhattan the dealers in Sandy had sold the van new and were selling on behalf of previous owner. The only anxiety I had was that the previous owner had failed to have the service and habitation check done in the required window/time period. Not a problem the dealer, an Auto Trail main dealer with many new vans in stock would provide one, like an insurance back policy, which I had when buying second hand cars.

Hand over, excellent, warranty booklet signed and carbon copy removed.

After first trip I had a minor problem with the awning which the dealer quickly rectified whilst I waited. However I noted that all the new Auto Trails had gone!!!!. A good month of sales, no Auto Trail had removed the company from their dealership list. Not a problem my warranty was with Manhattan and they were still there right on the A1 at Sandy. But only for another four weeks. Next time I passed all boarded up and locked up.

On checking my warranty booklet all claims have to be made to the dealer and there is no other contact or phone number listed in the entire booklet. NO DEALER NO WARRANTY.

As it happens I have had no further problems with my Scout and am very happy with it. However from my experience check that the warranty offered by a dealer is Insurance Company backed other wise like mine it only fit for toilet paper.

Upvote 0

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Went to Thompsons of Dromore to look at various layouts. One of the first comments made was that they did not service or get parts for vans not purchased from them. I was put off at this, although the salesman did show me around any van I wanted to look at.
I then was adviced to check out Donagheys of Letterkenny in the Republic of Ireland, some 80 miles away. What a change in attitude. Upon arrival I needed the wee room, the salesman, William, waited on me rather than seeing to any other prospecters.
I gave him a rough idea of what I was after regarding layout and a shortlist developed. I was offered a test drive and when I arrived a couple of days later with my Brother -in-law motorhomer, we were offered another test drive and given time on our own to look over every inch of the van. We settled on a van that was just a few months old that did not suit its previous owner. The pick up date was set and when we arrived, it took a few hours to sort out some work that had been overlooked. Hand over was comprehensive and Willy was as friendly and helpful then as he was on the first day.
Since then I've received a christmas card and free tickets to the Outdoor and leisure show in Belfast which we attented. Willy was there and we received a friendly handshake from him and the owner along with a comment to remember that if I needed anything, they were always available.
I recommend Donagheys to anyone at this side of the pond, either in Northern Ireland or the Republic:thumb:
Willy showed us the various features on the two vans we had singled out before we tossed the coin and he allowed us to examine the van at our leisure.
The warranty available on both the Fiat bits and the Dethleffs bits was explained and we felt quite reassured, even though I am a very sceptical sort of guy.
Finance was mentioned, although it was not pushed as we were paying for the van without finance on it.
Problems arose with the DVA because the van had been originally registered in the Irish Republic, however Willy dealt with the DVA and Insurance co. directly to get the Van registered. Very helpful indeed, highly recommended.:thanks2:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
There's little in this thread with which I would disagree, and its always worth making an offer to try to get the best deal.
That said, commitment to ongoing first class service has to be more important than shaving the last few pounds off the price.

But I can't help feeling from the tone of some comments that there is a huge lack of trust towards some dealers, which may of course be well justified in some cases.

I bought my current van from Hayes in the w. midlands, and they are excellent. Very friendly and always keen to do everything they can to make sure you are OK. Our van was pretty much perfect when we collected it a year ago, and has given very little trouble since - the only real fault we had was a boiler failure last August - they very promptly fitted a new boiler.

I am sure that there are other good dealers out there, but I would say try to talk to existing customers before you buy. And if the dealer is not responsive pre-sales, then don't expect him to be after the sale!

Upvote 0

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I agree...........I would also expect that when someone has made appointments to view a motorhome (on 2 occasions) that the side would be out, it would be nice and toasty warm inside (so that the person wasn't stood there shivering whilst trying to make a deal) bed cover on streight, hooked up to all services so things could be demonstrated, offered a test drive, personally attended to someone who has made a bid and offered a decent cup of coffee AND some of the things you mentioned............whouldn't you?

Shame I wasn't offered any of that at your place or I prob would have bought from you and not a company 288 miles away.:whatthe:

Just a little food for thought :winky:

Boo

At the risk of offending some people on here -

can I just put in a word for the 'good' dealer who expects you to spend a week in your new vehicle, free of charge, on his site in Cornwall. :whatthe:

He expects that one of his Staff will be called upon to explain and demonstrate all the equipment at least once and possibly as many times as the customer wants. :whatthe:

He expects that one of his Staff will go out driving with you in the new vehicle as many times as you wish until you are happy that everything is in order. :whatthe:

And in the unlikely event that you break down in the warranty period, many miles away from the dealer - he will send the engineer to you WHEREVER you are! :Eeek:

I won't say who he is - most of you will know from my signature block - BUT I would like to re-iterate that not all dealers are fly-by-night operators and I, for one, would expect nothing less from ANY dealer that I bought from. :thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
If you get it at the right price it does not matter what the service or warranty is like, You have saved enough money to get it fixed wherever you want.:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
While this is an excellent idea there are a few twits around and I am one who read all there is to read and on the big day ignore everything due to excitement, not wishing to be a nuisance and a belief that the nice people who have sold it to me would not dream of not checking everything out for me especially as I tell them I know nothing about anything that has wheels on.

I know that I will suffer a price premium for my lack of knowledge but I am happy to pay a higher price for something that just works straight out of the box.

But when I see that I have in effect been mugged by the dealer, in this case Elite from Banbury, who have not cared for my problems or the condition of the new motorhome I paid cash for virtually, then these people quite honestly make me sick. I am not a bitter person of course, but I do from time to time hope they are shit on from a great height by a large swan with bird flu.

Sounds like me, Pusser. I'm sure I got ripped off when I bought my second motorhome, but in the euphoria of buying it I didn't notice. It was only afterwards I began to regret my hasty actions. Luckily, although the sales side were highwaymen, the service side were saints and after sales under warranty claims service was good.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back