Smoked Beef Brisket on a Weber BBQ (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Makro has beef brisket on offer at £4.99/kg.. so I bought a piece , around 3.5kg ..

before buying I asked the butcher if it was one piece, as I planned to unroll and slow cook/smoke .. he confirmed that it was..

There are plenty of recipes and methods on line.. as I have a Weber BBQ I used the Weber method and recipe from their site ..
http://www.weber.com/weber-nation/blog/brisket

Last evening I slathered it in mustard and BBQ spices.. left in fridge until this morning.

I planned to slow cook for around 6-8 hrs .. and use Oak wood to smoke.. (left over lumps from turning).

Up at 7am, barbie lit, had some breakfast and by that time it had settled down nice.. cooking temp about 200-250f.. 90- 120c .. my aim was for final meat temp. of 195f or 90c

I set the barbi up for indirect cooking.. coals to one side and a drip tray full of water under the meat .. another tray of water on the top grill.. this helps keep the meat moist.

I sprayed the meat every hour with apple juice and at the same time added wood and briquettes as required..

This is a labour of love.. the cooking temperature must be kept within 200- 250 f , this is controlled using the bottom damper.. the top vent is always open about 1/3 ..so no going out for the day.. I decided to paint the shed while it cooked..

6 hrs later I tested and the meat was about 160f .. so I wrapped in foil and cooked for about another 2 hrs.. until it had reached 195f

Remove from barbie and let it relax and cool for an hour

The results .. absolutely gorgeous.. it is tender and moist and has an lovely smokey flavour.. :Smile:

This has earned me a lot of brownie points.. :winky:

The beast smoking away ..

DSCF0412.JPG

during the smoking

DSCF0413.JPG

Being wrapped, prior to final cooking

DSCF0417.JPG

The final product.. notice the pink edge where the smoking has penetrated

DSCF0419.JPG

DSCF0418.JPG

Last edited:

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
That looks absolutely delicious! :thumb:

I should imagine you got a load of Brownie Points for both jobs!! :roflmto:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Just doing a whole chicken on my Weber at the moment with some lumps of cherry (son is a tree surgeon ) Brisket is on the list after some pulled pork. Have got all the bits together to build an UDS. We get our meat from the local butcher and if I give him a few days notice, he will sort me out a brisket.
Got a Weber Go Anywhere in the camper, brilliant bit of kit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 15, 2013
Rochester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5years Motorhome. 25yr tugger
Just doing a whole chicken on my Weber at the moment with some lumps of cherry (son is a tree surgeon ) Brisket is on the list after some pulled pork. Have got all the bits together to build an UDS. We get our meat from the local butcher and if I give him a few days notice, he will sort me out a brisket.
Got a Weber Go Anywhere in the camper, brilliant bit of kit.

Build your UDS. Built mine last year, best pulled pork ever. Also done brisket and lamb shoulder. Chicken not so good cooked low and slow. Lesson learnt. Higher temp next time. Digital wireless double temp probe a must.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Smoking and steam smoking is just a great way to cook meat and fish. We use our smoker almost every weekend, 52wks a year and have been cooking the Christmas turkey on it for the last 10yrs. We have an Oklahoma Joe smoker and it has been really excellent.

Next time add some water in a small pot as the steam helps to penetrate the meat, you can also add beer in the same way. Fruit wood is very nice and i prefer cherry or damson although not too much about this year and i can't trim the trees any more......

Happy to see some more smokers

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Smoking and steam smoking is just a great way to cook meat and fish. We use our smoker almost every weekend, 52wks a year and have been cooking the Christmas turkey on it for the last 10yrs. We have an Oklahoma Joe smoker and it has been really excellent.

[HI]Next time add some water in a small pot as the steam helps to penetrate the meat,[/HI] you can also add beer in the same way. Fruit wood is very nice and i prefer cherry or damson although not too much about this year and i can't trim the trees any more......

Happy to see some more smokers

yes.. i did :winky:

drip tray full of water under the meat .. another tray of water on the top grill.. this helps keep the meat moist.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Build your UDS. Built mine last year, best pulled pork ever. Also done brisket and lamb shoulder. Chicken not so good cooked low and slow. Lesson learnt. Higher temp next time. [HI]Digital wireless double temp probe a must.[/HI]

That's my next purchase.. :thumb:

can you recommend one.. preferably with a UK supplier.. ?

Most seem to come from the US

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Hour and a half later and it's ready for carving.
Well our son turned up unexpectedly so we had to share the chicken with him. He seemed to like it as he ransacked the carcass too !

Build your UDS. Built mine last year, best pulled pork ever. Also done brisket and lamb shoulder. Chicken not so good cooked low and slow. Lesson learnt. Higher temp next time. Digital wireless double temp probe a must.

Definately need to get it finished. Did you buy a Maverick wireless thermometer ? I've been looking at them but they're around £ 70, quite a lot cheaper in the States tho :Sad:
A few people I've met on a bbq/smoking forum are having a meet at Woodhall Spa campsite in August. The guy pulling it together is Danny who's originally from Texas so it should be the real deal ! Someone's bringing an UDS, others are bring WSM's.
We're all gonna contribute dishes for a Jacob's Join on the saturday, can't wait :thumb:

Attachments

• 20140514_182813[1].jpg
    20140514_182813[1].jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20140514_191433[1].jpg
    20140514_191433[1].jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 30

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Must admit that I've never used a thermometer mainly as it's almost impossible to control the temperature, I just focus on a good burn and the let the meat find it's way although it really depends on the wood type.

This is like ours:

They are also great for Salmon as well and last week we had Maize on the go which the children like.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Can’t beat corn on the cob, still in it’s husk and just throw it on the barbie.

Nov 15, 2013
Rochester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5years Motorhome. 25yr tugger
Yes Maverick temp probe. Amazon about £70 as you said. Dearest part of the UDS build. Bought a cheap kettle BBQ off eBay and used the parts. 2 ball valves and fabricated charcoal basket. Very controllable temp and cooks for over 12 hours on 1 basket of charcoal. I'm a fair weather smoker so didn't get much use last year. Hopefully more this year.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That looks fantastic Jim:thumb:

To keep the charcoal going do you just throw the briquettes straight onto the old ones or do you light them separately and then put them on?

I have never has a BBQ lit for that period of time..

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
That looks fantastic Jim:thumb:

To keep the charcoal going do you just throw the briquettes straight onto the old ones or do you light them separately and then put them on?

I have never has a BBQ lit for that period of time..

Hi Chris... thanks..

I started off with a full chimney of briquettes.. then every hour, on the hour I added half a dozen unlit briquets, topped up the wood , filled the water trays, sprayed the meat with apple juice .. and probed the meat..

I used about 5kg of briquettes ..

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As suggested earlier in the thread.. this would be great for a meet..

call it a ...... Meet with Meats..

we could have several smokers going.. Beef, Pork, Chicken, Fish and .. fresh road kill :roflmto:

Now all I need is a van :Sad:, hopefully this year.. :Smile:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Sunday report:

Smoked pork joint that had been marinated 24hrs, plus some corn:thumb:

220b2c4c9ed1635ecb756b557a23bd19.jpg

3c7cf5a801a3c33c3f116e48a2c75c14.jpg

0a10406c8f9ff155f515761bf410ec26.jpg

bb31a9dfc3c5020a0a4f2a35081da2f3.jpg

It was good, and some left over for tomorrow:winky:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
That looks very nice. I had a go doing a rack of ribs yesterday, absolute disaster :Sad: Started with too many briquettes and had to close the vents right down but unfortunately they went out. Had to scoop them out and relight them. Gave the ribs two and a half hours, then foiled them for an hour then slathered them with sauce and put them over the coals. I had too much sugar in the sauce and it burnt in no time at all. They did get eaten and I did learn plenty so maybe not such a disaster in the great scheme of things.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
two years have passed.. wow ... how time flies.. it's quite frightening .. :eek:

anyhow.. for those haven't tried this give it a go..

I'm doing another smoked Brisket tomorrow.. will post pics as it progresses..

happy smoking :)

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Very good advice about a water pan. It keeps the meet moist and helps maintains temperature.

here's a picture of my smoker loaded with ribs. I soak the wood chippings in water and then wrap in tinfoil and add to the charcoal.

Cheers
Al.

IMG_1428.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back