Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I am sure most of us have needed our wives to help us reverse and get out of tricky situations

Here is my problem.
When I am reversing in a tight situation she stands at the back. I have long since given up on understanding the hand waves. I have to wind my window down and shout "I have no idea what that gesture means."

But, my main problem is the word "OK"

1. OK means keep reversing in this manner it is OK, keep coming
2. OK means you have reversed far enough, this distance is OK, you should stop now

When she has a better view of traffic on an awkward junction OK can mean
1. It is safe to exit this side road, there is no dangerous traffic

Now, you might think there can not be another interpretation. But there is one. OK also means OK after this white van.... no not that white van.... this other white van.

You might have gathered that she has gone to bed.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My other half spent the first year of outings standing where I could not see her as she waved frantically :roflmto:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Get her to stand behind the MH then when your hear a thump and maybe a scream you will know you have gone too far back

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Sorry Berny, this is definitely an error on your part, you have not trained her in the science of communication you must start with which is left and which is right, once she has mastered these basics, then move on to more complex manoeuvres such as how far left and how far right:thumb:

LucyCaitlynW

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Ford Golden Eagle Transit
Exp
I'm a newbie of 2 days
Oddly enough guys do this too :ROFLMAO:
Not only when I'm driving my mh, but it's
amazing to me how often a person usually
a man. Stands behind my wheelchair saying
left hand down. No comprehension that a car
and a wheelchair are very different things ::bigsmile:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
If you want to go all historic, I was always told it was an Americanism, from the 19th Century, meaning "Orl Korrect". :thumb:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
when I am at a junction ware it is blind spotted and I cant se the van being a left hand drive I have trand them to say good to go this works for us the wee man is excellent at this
I we also use pre determined hand signals to ade communications Trane her up that way there is no confusion.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I am sure most of us have needed our wives to help us reverse and get out of tricky situations

Here is my problem.
When I am reversing in a tight situation she stands at the back. I have long since given up on understanding the hand waves. I have to wind my window down and shout "I have no idea what that gesture means."

But, my main problem is the word "OK"

1. OK means keep reversing in this manner it is OK, keep coming
2. OK means you have reversed far enough, this distance is OK, you should stop now

When she has a better view of traffic on an awkward junction OK can mean
1. It is safe to exit this side road, there is no dangerous traffic

Now, you might think there can not be another interpretation. But there is one. OK also means OK after this white van.... no not that white van.... this other white van.

You might have gathered that she has gone to bed.

so as you arent driving until she wakes up in the morning grit your teeth, hold the suspension and wait until she wakes up

take her a cup of her favourite drink and bestest breakfast in bread

then take a breath and ask the question

okay darling when I am driving what do you mean by OK?????

good luck xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
is it something to do with going Metric,, after all a yard back is different to a Metre.:Eeek:

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
What does OK mean ????

My other half spent the first year of outings standing where I could not see her as she waved frantically :roflmto:

Reminds us of our first outings with the M/H:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:The fun we had, and are still having, bumps'n all:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Some further analysis here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okay

Going back to the partner thing when manoeuvring, we've had a decent amount of practice with offroading our 110 on various gatherings.

Clare is a pretty good spotter and direction giver.

My son gets a bit het-up about it occasionally but is pretty good for an 11 year-old.

It's made manoeuvring Udo much, much easier than I ever thought it would be.

You need to agree signals you both understand and agree suitable positions so that the spotter can always be seen. Get that right and it's a lot easier and less fraught.

OK?::bigsmile:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
My better half has issues with left and right, she worked as a stage manager in her much younger days and I have to ask is that stage right or left...:Doh:

I also was taught to indicate direction by turning my arm in the direction you want the person reversing to turn the steering wheel... seemples. :thumb:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
My better half has issues with left and right, she worked as a stage manager in her much younger days and I have to ask is that stage right or left...:Doh:

I also was taught to indicate direction by turning my arm in the direction you want the person reversing to turn the steering wheel... seemples. :thumb:

No probs there. Take a leaf out of the Irish Army training manual. Paint her wellies, (or her clogs if shes working), different colours, and then you just need to shout "GREEN", or "RED!"::bigsmile:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
No probs there. Take a leaf out of the Irish Army training manual. Paint her wellies, (or her clogs if shes working), different colours, and then you just need to shout "GREEN", or "RED!"::bigsmile:

I am far too young to die!!!:cry:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Ahhhhhhhh........A student of the Civil War perhaps?? We must chat!! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

It appears from Bellini's post that I have got my Jacksons mixed up. My original source was from some distantly remembered reading in my teens.

I am not really a student of the Civil War, but I have read the original Shaara trilogy (Gods & Generals, Killer Angels and Last Full Measure) - that is about the limit of my knowledge.
http://www.jeffshaara.com/

p.s. I use a reversing camera and do not rely on 'OK'.
Disambiguation being critical in times of war, as well as motorhome reversing, I remember reading that the Royal Navy used the command 'Shoot' when, for example, the gunnery officer required a battleship to release a 15" salvo, rather than 'Fire' which, in the heat of battle, might be confused with 'Cease Fire'.

Last edited:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Death is not an option when wife training!!

Are you a man, or a mouse, Sir??

(Pass the cheddar, dear)

I'm one of the original 'Mouseketeers' I'll have you know sirrah...:Cool:

Oh, and I much prefer 'Stinking Bishop', thank you... ::bigsmile:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
The other half uses hand signals that emulate a parking sensor... The faster she flaps the right hand the closer you are to something.... And when both hands flap wildly and she shouts then you know you are about 18 inches away

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Never use "no" too easily confused with "go". We use "stop" and "clear" as I was taught to do so.

I learnt to drive at 13/14 on private roads with a US Army Instructor (long story) and passed my test at 17.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
When I first got a motorhome, I reversed with the window open and my daughter stood outside to give instructions...

She said, 'You've gone too far', as I hit the fence behind me.:Doh::Doh:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Or as Management once said, "I told you to turn left". To which I replied "I did turn left dear". Her response was "Oh, in that case, I meant right". :Doh:

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
When waiting at a T junction my wife will say "okay up" or "okay down". I still don't have clue what the heck she means after all these years. When I once asked her to clarify I ended up more confused so I just do my own thing. It's safer:winky:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think it is time for some expert opinion on the matter of vehicular directions by the distaff side and the extreme risk of danger that this represents to otherwise trusting male motorhomers. We are not without faults and limitations of course, but phrases such as 'I meant the other left' tend to be more prevalent amongst the fairer sex.
For an interesting and amusing analysis of some of the differences between men and women, I recommend this book 'Why Men don't listen and Women can't read maps'.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0752846191/?tag=mhf04-21

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Excuse me Jean Luc - my man is just as confusing as the ladies you all refer to when he is directing me reversing. Not only does he stand where I can't see him, he doesn't shout loud enough for me to hear. So I get an inaudible shout from an invisible person. Then I put the handbrake on, get up and walk to the back to look out of the rear window - it's easier! :ROFLMAO:

(And he certainly doesn't listen!!!)

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I did say 'we are not without faults and limitations of course' ...
... but you should read the book. It contains some really interesting biological evidence for differences between sexes. Of particular note is the section regarding brain development in the womb and the effects caused by the amount of testosterone that the foetus is exposed to during this period (and before anyone comes up with a smart comment, women produce testosterone during pregnancy).

:hardhat:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
As an expert I thought I better put my twopenneth in, though after reading this you may just give up :ROFLMAO: We do a banksman course and successfuly train many people for many companies............Mmmmmm then we have my wife hand signals resemble a mexican wave and I have no idea what they mean, verbal signals can be equaly confusing as I am buggered if I know what that way means :roflmto: so I put the hand brake and G.O.A.L. (get out and look :RollEyes:) this led to purchasing walkie talkies.......does help if you press the button before talking :cry: having given up with the instruction that way in conjunction with the mexican wave approach, I now have very clear and consise instructions both to and from her..........I said if I am going to hit anything just shout in a very loud voice STOP and I will wory about the rest.........now that should have the whole nearing a divorce thing cracked shouldn't it.............well to an extent it has ( I keep my mouth shut ::bigsmile:) you here this screamed Stop and do, Ok you think, then when you get out to look you are 10' away :RollEyes: well at least I didn't hit anything :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I have come to the conclusion that you can teach perfect strangers.......but the wife (who by the way is very intelegent) no chance, must be something to do with the investment in the RV ::bigsmile:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
When I was tugging the caravan I wanted to know how far to tow-ball.
How far is a bit more ?
Why does the female "about a yard" translate into "bang" after about 6"?

SOLUTION :She reverses,:Eeek::Eeek:
you give instructions in a clear, calm and concise manner :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back