Fun is changing Forum Software (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Mid June this year we will be changing the software that the forums run on. This will be a mammoth task and not without teething problems and major headaches. (and the odd nightmare already!) Already we have pages of notes for the work that will be required for a smooth changeover and we hope the shift will result in a down time of minutes rather than days::bigsmile:

I know how people (of a certain age:roflmto: ) hate change so I'm anticipating a few moans, however we wouldn't be changing it were not for the best. Our old system is creaking, and it is struggling to keep the spammers and malware merchants away, also it is not being updated by the developer, so should an exploit be found we are not likely to get it patched in a hurry and that would leave us all vulnerable.

The new system is modern and is slick, and will be very user friendly, making posts and uploading graphics simplicity itself. The site will be much more ipad/smartphone friendly especially when it comes to graphics. There will be plenty of user enhancements and when our test bed is up and running I'll release some teaser videos to show you how things will look.

A lot of little used addons that we have now will disappear, things like the links directory, and the garage but there will be lots of functionality added and things like organising meets and rallies online will become much easier The new gallery system will import our photos, however if you have photos that are of value to you stored on our server you should download them before mid June as we cannot guarantee we won't lose some.

This will involve a ton of work and plenty of patience from the members however I'm sure it will ensure that motorhome fun remains the best motorhome club in the world (probably)::bigsmile:

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ah, those were the days! lol Glad it's you and not me this time lol ::bigsmile:
I know what it is like doing major upgrades like this, and how people react to them, I spent 25 years doing it for a living! Never again!!

But if you need any beta testers or any other help just shout. :thumb:

Good Luck!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The new system is modern and is slick

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooo.

The place is full of olde fartes. Modern and slick is something we like to think we were last century but only because our memories have gone.

Will we have to say, "like this is kool, like I'm in to this already it's like sooooooooooooo smooth" ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Software change

Mid June sounds a really good time, hopefully we'll be in the sun shine and not spending to much time on the iPad. Hope all goes well!

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
Mid June this year we will be changing the software that the forums run on. This will be a mammoth task and not without teething problems and major headaches. (and the odd nightmare already!) Already we have pages of notes for the work that will be required for a smooth changeover and we hope the shift will result in a down time of minutes rather than days::bigsmile:

I know how people (of a certain age:roflmto: ) hate change so I'm anticipating a few moans, however we wouldn't be changing it were not for the best. Our old system is creaking, and it is struggling to keep the spammers and malware merchants away, also it is not being updated by the developer, so should an exploit be found we are not likely to get it patched in a hurry and that would leave us all vulnerable.

The new system is modern and is slick, and will be very user friendly, making posts and uploading graphics simplicity itself. The site will be much more ipad/smartphone friendly especially when it comes to graphics. There will be plenty of user enhancements and when our test bed is up and running I'll release some teaser videos to show you how things will look.

A lot of little used addons that we have now will disappear, things like the links directory, and the garage but there will be lots of functionality added and things like organising meets and rallies online will become much easier The new gallery system will import our photos, however if you have photos that are of value to you stored on our server you should download them before mid June as we cannot guarantee we won't lose some.

This will involve a ton of work and plenty of patience from the members however I'm sure it will ensure that motorhome fun remains the best motorhome club in the world (probably)::bigsmile:

Great Jim
Just hope it makes it easy for an old fart like me to upload photos etc cos impossible at the moment.I've no ruddy idea what URL,URL or whatever I'm asked for is.
Good luck with the changeover :thumb:

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Looking forward to seeing the new look!

Fingers crossed all goes well.

Steve :Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As long as we have a like and thanks buttons !! :winky:

What software you gonna go to Jim ?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Sounds good to me especially if we can put proper size photos on a post instead of the thumb nails, look forward to it, keeps my grey matter ticking over. :thumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As long as we have a like and thanks buttons !! :winky:

Personally, I would be happy to see them go! If I want to thank someone I say so and the like button seems a bit pointless to me. I use them here to play the game but I wouldn't miss them.

However, they seem so much part of the site culture people would probably moan too much if the buttons vanished. :Smile:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Don't worry Jim. If you have any problems with the software just pick up the phone and I'll help you out..:thumb:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Really good luck with it and I am sure we all appreciate being informed.
As I always say with complaints it is not that the complaint has happened it is how you deal with it and although this is not a complaint the analogy is the same - communication, communication, communication
I too would offer out my services as a beta tester if required!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Jim: All I would ask is that you thoroughly test, re-test, and test again any new software whilst allowing the old software to run exactly as before, and only when you are 100% ready switch it over.

Another Forum I use did a hurried and rather botched job of a software changeover, with constant modifications and fixes, and the number of active members has since plummeted as a result. It is now a shadow of its former self, and we are talking about a forum run by an established national publication.

I've also seen a second site that I used to use regularly to upload photos rendered almost unfit for purpose by the desire to make it smartphone and pad compatible. Check out the balls up they made by clicking on the second link below my signature. You used to be able to see the titles and locations of all the aires in the photos, now all you see is the pics and truncated meaningless titles. I haven't uploaded anything to that site since last autumn and I used to do it every week. I can't be arsed now.

Worth thinking about anyway.

Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
Me Too

Ah, those were the days! lol Glad it's you and not me this time lol ::bigsmile:
I know what it is like doing major upgrades like this, and how people react to them, I spent 25 years doing it for a living! Never again!!

But if you need any beta testers or any other help just shout. :thumb:

Good Luck!

My feelings exactly, too many nights in computer rooms doing this sort of thing, thankfully now history but if I can be of any assistance as a tester please let me know
::bigsmile:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Good luck on the day Jim,lets hope for a smooth change over,Alf

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
OH GOODY

A Chance to get confused by a New System:winky:

images
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Failing that Jim, you could always [HI]sell it.[/HI].......................................:winky:

Please take NO notice of this post

Don't worry Jim. If you have any problems with the software just pick up the phone and [HI]I'll help you out[/HI]..:thumb:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Please take NO notice of this post either.........:winky:

oh bugger more change will I cope [HI]or go mad[/HI]???????????

A bit late don't ya reckon Roger........:ROFLMAO:

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
:Sad: I hope all goes well if only for selfish reasons. MIL will be with us for two weeks mid June :helpsos: and I don't know where I will be able to hide myself away if this site isn't available for more than a day :cry:

J

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back